TJ Hockenson

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 118,855.72
It's September 23rd and this is the talk involving a rookie tight end.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,612.58
lionsjjg wrote:From a Lions fan I'd say absolutely hold on to Hockenson. In wk 2 against the Chargers, he was held in to block for most of the game due to Taylor Decker being out and Tyrell Crosby making his first career start at LT. Crosby was absolutely terrible in the preseason and protecting Stafford was the priority.

Hock is getting more redzone looks than anyone. He should have had two tds against the Eagles this week. On one catch, he was called for stepping out of bounds and coming back in to make the catch in the back of the endzone. I think it was a BS call but very close on the line. On the second, the ball was ripped out at the last second by an Eagles defender making a great play in the endzone. I can think of at least one other play in the first three weeks where he would have had a td with a better throw from Stafford.

The Lions will be getting destroyed against the Chiefs in wk 4 and will have to air it out. I think TJ is in for a huge game next week and will continue to get redzone looks. If someone is getting impatient and drops him, pick him up immediately. He is going to have a monster second half of the season and already has Stafford's trust. He was not drafted at 8 overall to not be a huge part of the offensive game plan. We could have definitely used defensive help instead.

If you have him, keep him; If you don't, pick him up!

cool thx

welcome to the tank
Megalodon
Sand$: 22,743.86
OarChambo wrote:It's September 23rd and this is the talk involving a rookie tight end.

Yeah, I mean personally I loved his college tape and week 1 showed that he really does have that potential. I get people wanting to move on from him in redrafts, but I'll definitely look at him as people drop him. TE isn't an easy position to be successful at early on, so hard to say how much impact he'll have this year, but I could see him having a few blow up games, but could also be pretty inconsistent due to experience, coaching/scheme, and Stafford.
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 269.98
If Amendola is set to miss significant time that could open up more work for Hock
Sand$: 40,414.11
if the dude is giving halfass effort on TD targets, can we just dismiss it as ‘just a rookie’?
Supreme Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:if the dude is giving halfass effort on TD targets, can we just dismiss it as ‘just a rookie’?

If you put the microscope on any player then you will find evidence like that. The difference is a rookie has not had an opportunity to develop a track record. And the microscope is being applied because of what he did week 1, the unrealistic expectations that followed, and that he didn't do anything the last 2 weeks.

Rookies are not consistent. The ones that are? Unicorns. Expect them not to be though.
With all that said I’m still giving him another week.

I wasn’t expecting week 1 every week. I just wanted a bad Delanie Walker game out of him.
Supreme Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:With all that said I’m still giving him another week.

I wasn’t expecting week 1 every week. I just wanted a bad Delanie Walker game out of him.

Delanie Walker is the #1 option in his run-based team's passing game, an established vet with a track record of not putting up (m)any duds. Hock is not the #1 option in his run-based team's passing game and has not had an opportunity to develop a track record.
Umm, I wasn’t directly comparing them per se, just saying I wanted 3 and 40 yards, ie a “bad Delanie Walker” day.

You can pick a different tight end if it suits you better
Supreme Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:Umm, I wasn’t directly comparing them per se, just saying I wanted 3 and 40 yards, ie a “bad Delanie Walker” day.

You can pick a different tight end if it suits you better

Eric Ebron was the #4 TE in the game last year. He finished the season with 110 targets. And he failed to get to 40 yards six times. To be fair he scored in two of those six games though.
Ok, not Ebron. Someone else.

:wink:
Great White Shark
Sand$: 9,807.36
OarChambo wrote:
endzoneview wrote:if the dude is giving halfass effort on TD targets, can we just dismiss it as ‘just a rookie’?

If you put the microscope on any player then you will find evidence like that. The difference is a rookie has not had an opportunity to develop a track record. And the microscope is being applied because of what he did week 1, the unrealistic expectations that followed, and that he didn't do anything the last 2 weeks.

Rookies are not consistent. The ones that are? Unicorns. Expect them not to be though.

Right, which is why it's not worth holding him for redraft.

Dyno? Sure, if your bench allows it keep him as a stash and see what changes.

The Fantasy season is 13 games before the playoffs (for most leagues?) you usually cannot afford to risk the floors of someone like this because a couple extra loses is such a huge deal.
Supreme Megalodon
He was literally the first on the list after the elite tier. The second? Jared Cook. He was a big drop off from Ebron and there's a big drop off from him to the next group. He was the only other TE aside from Ebron and the elite tier with > 100 targets. And he failed to hit that 40 yard number nine times. And only scored in two of those nine games.

This is just the nature of the beast at TE. Pick a stud, accidentally stumble upon one, or play roulette with the pile of unreliable options.
Chum
Sand$: 26.70
Detroit's supposed run first team pounded the rock up the middle 27 times at 1.6 yards per carry for 42 yards (minus Mckissic's 44 yard reverse). The run blocking has been atrocious. I don't recall the run pass breakdowns for the first two weeks but I don't buy the run first team under Bevell narrative.

Stafford was off yesterday as well. The receivers were diving all over the place for some of the throws. I will say that Stafford does spread the ball around and doesn't seem to have a clear favorite yet. Hock, Amendola, Golladay and Jones have each had 100yd days.

I still think Hock=Unicorn. The play in the back of the endzone was just a rookie mistake with lack of awareness rather than lack of effort, in my opinion.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,309.23
He made some nice moves, but some bad mistakes, too. Had a couple close calls where a TD may have been the result.