Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 31,843.68
Looks at camera, deadpan.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,036.70
I can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

I agree with you that Rivers will wind up in the HoF though, I'm not saying anything about whether he deserves it or not because I don't understand the criteria the HoF uses.

I'm asking you to clarify why we should appreciate Rivers for his contributions to the NFL, because, again, what has he actually contributed that stands him apart from a host of volume QBs who have played during the same time period as him?

It seems likely to me that Eli and Ben will get in, and Rivers will probably as well, but just in looking at those three guys it's easy to appreciate what Eli and Ben have done for the NFL, or in the NFL, or however you're looking at it.

Rivers? He's played for the Chargers, the Chargers made noise for a few seasons while LT was there, and other than that they've been entirely mediocre and forgettable.
Supreme Megalodon
They've always had a terrible o line. After Tomlinson, They had such titans as Mike Tolbert, Mr Glass-Ryan Mathews and Branden Oliver. And who can forget such legendary receivers as Donario Alexander and Malcolm Floyd?

We don't have to agree that Rivers' story is interesting. You don't have to be a *redacted* for disagreeing. Instead you can make the meme joke again. It was really good.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,036.70
Supreme Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:Ok Boomer.

ubertaco wrote:Image

Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,123.20
Rivers was able to accomplish quite a bit in spite of: poor coaching, bad o lines, mediocre RB's, bad D's and ST's, bad WR's, Bad K's.. Until Keenan came along the best receiver he had was Gates. The expectations were always high of him because he was always able to make it work but ownership never really gave him the support to meet those expectations.

The body of work is good but it could have been great with improvements to the above. That can be said for a few guys but he's done a lot with very little and most woulda bombed long before they got to 16 yrs. He's kinda like the Marv Lewis of QB's...

Between the bad O line and his age diminishing skills I think the magic is largely gone though

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,673.60
If only Eli's dad wasn't such a bi!ch. We wouldn't be havin this conversation.
Supreme Megalodon
tsbgrayghost wrote:If only Eli's dad wasn't such a bi!ch. We wouldn't be havin this conversation.

He was right about the Chargers org though.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,464.76
I’ve always appreciated Rivers.
When he was getting poop upon for being a mouthy punk, I was saying he’d be a great Raider.
Each time his contract came up, I was saying the Raiders should try to sign him.
He sucks now, but has had an admirable career imo
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,780.73
Rivers has been a great fantasy QBs that’s for sure... I’ve had him on a few winning teams over the years. He’s put up some pretty stellar numbers on some pretty mediocre teams... HOF? not if I’m voting but I’m sure she’s a helluva lot better than lots of guys in there so....

Follow me on Tumblr http://jd666.tumblr.com
2019 LOT “The Resurrected One”
2015 LOT Norse League Champion
Megalodon
Sand$: 139,572.49
Elmagister wrote:The story of the NFL is less interesting without Phil Rivers.

Elmagister wrote:Rivers is a legend, as far as I'm concerned. I wish the NFL HoF would get over itself just a little.

I agree completely with you but I feel like we had this same conversation about Kurt Warner and you were against him being HofF so this surprises me.

Maybe it wasn't you. It was awhile ago.

Regardless, I look at it as the Hall of FAME not the Hall of Stats or the Hall of Champions. I like seeing people get in that tell the story of football as much as those that were elite or champions.

Supreme Megalodon
scootm44 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:The story of the NFL is less interesting without Phil Rivers.

Elmagister wrote:Rivers is a legend, as far as I'm concerned. I wish the NFL HoF would get over itself just a little.

I agree completely with you but I feel like we had this same conversation about Kurt Warner and you were against him being HofF so this surprises me.

Maybe it wasn't you. It was awhile ago.

Regardless, I look at it as the Hall of FAME not the Hall of Stats or the Hall of Champions. I like seeing people get in that tell the story of football as much as those that were elite or champions.

It was me. I'm a hypocrite. And wrong. Kurt Warner has a HoF story.
Supreme Megalodon
In my defense, once Bettis got in, I softened. In more ways than one.

My biggest issue with Warner was that he disappeared for awhile in New York.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,667.10
ubertaco wrote:I'm still confused about what we are supposed to appreciate Rivers for.

He's a volume passer on a team that had a brief moment but never ultimately got to the promised land.

Compare him to Eli and Ben who were in the same draft class (along with JP Losman, Matt Schaub, and Luke McKown) and what are we supposed to really remember or appreciate him for?

Other than the memes, I mean, get that he's been a godsend for memes.

He’s 6th all time passing yards and tds, he only played in 4 games his first 2 seasons. Almost everybody in the top 10 are volume passers.

He’s going to get in, just a matter of when.

I’m only talking about what will happen. A discussion on what should happen is different.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 14,005.24
rugger48 wrote:6th in all tube yards , 6th in all time tds, 2:1 td/int

64.5 percent career passing.

If the hof was tighter with who got in he probably gets in, based on now, he’s a hof.

You want to put a guy who's never been a top 5 QB at any point in his career in the HoF?

I mean, at the end of the day the HoF is a popularity contest so it could happen, but there's just no way he deserves it. :Drink)

Some zig when others zag. I zug.