Megalodon
Sand$: 160,324.53
I damn near won every league last year that I had Lamar in. So maybe I'm suffering from some nostalgia driven bias, but with all the uncertainty this year I decided it would be a good year to play around with a different strategy.

I've taken Lamar in the first round of every redraft I play in. (Excluding a superflex where he went before I had a chance.) I've never taken a QB in the 1st round(or 2nd, or 3rd) before. My results so far:

NFL Challenge_____#9 slot:
RBs- Chubb, Gurley, Kerryon, J Jackson
WRs - A Cooper, Keenan, Lazard, J Jefferson
TEs - Engram, Fant
This is a full IDP league with short benches. Tough to roster more than 8 RB/WRs. Only need to start 1 RB also. I like this team but sacrificed some offensive depth to get grab some prominent IDPs.

Mako 5______#7 slot (stilll in progress):
RBs - A Jones, Leveon, Kerryon, J Howard
WRs - Cupp, Keenan, Boyd, Lazard

I like how this is going so far.

Mako 6______#2 slot(still in progress):
RBs - Drake, Kerryon, Swift, Dillon
WRs - Golladay, Keenan, Ridley, Kirk, Lazard

I knew this would be the trickiest one picking from the 2 slot. Too many picks between that 3.02 and 4.11. RBs dried up fast. Happy to land the WRs I got though.

Shark Assassins_____#6 slot(still in progress):
RBs - A Jones
WRs - A Cooper, AJ Brown

Real early in this one. Picking in the middle should keep me from being the victim of any huge runs.

Not intentionally targeting Keenan and Kerryon but they seem to keep being the best value at the point in which I'm picking them. Fine with Kerryon as a RB3 but not RB2. That league may be a struggle.

So basically it seems like after round 1 I will just bang away at RB/WR, building depth there and plan on picking TE later. Which is likely what I would have done regardless.

CMac is the only player I decided I wouldn't skip but I never had the opportunity to draft him.

I'm not saying it's the way to go, but I'm not disappointed with the results either. 1st round picks are rarely the primary reason you have a good year. Mostly it's due to the rest of your draft and how you work the waiver wire throughout the season. So if you can't land CMac, why not pick the next biggest difference maker out there?

Stay sharp.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 12,125.90
I'm picking at the end elbow of an 8 teamer tomorrow (I know, laugh if you must at 8 teams - we had 2 people drop out last minute).

I'm strongly leaning towards going QB/TE with my first 2 picks. My mocks with that have been decent. Of course there's lots of value in an 8 teamer, but that just makes the studs like Jackson even more important.

Still debating between Jackson or Mahomes though. I think I'm going Kittle for TE. Of course it's possible other owner have this same strategy in mind, but I think the elbow is a really good place to do it from.

Knowing that league, your NFL Challenge draft is damn good. Which IDPs did you grab there?

Mako 5 and Shark Assassins looking decent. Agreed Mako 6 is the weakest. Definitely harder to pull it off from an early draft spot.

I'm a dudette. Image
Sand$: 40,601.39
But we Lamar drafters won our league because of a combination of Lamar's scoring and drafting him so late allowing us to have another top tier player in our lineup. Same thing in 2018 for those of us who drafted Mahomes late.

I didn't draft Mahomes in the 1st last year.

The answer to me isn't to draft on last year's numbers, even though he has a great shot of surpassing them. We always have to draft thinking forward. Who's the next Lamar?

I don't blame you at all for falling in love with him though. I've considered the same but draft with your head, not your heart.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 121,546.40
You don't want a sharpie like me in your league, son.

Megalodon
bunnywafer wrote:I'm picking at the end elbow of an 8 teamer tomorrow (I know, laugh if you must at 8 teams - we had 2 people drop out last minute).

I'm strongly leaning towards going QB/TE with my first 2 picks. My mocks with that have been decent. Of course there's lots of value in an 8 teamer, but that just makes the studs like Jackson even more important.

Still debating between Jackson or Mahomes though. I think I'm going Kittle for TE. Of course it's possible other owner have this same strategy in mind, but I think the elbow is a really good place to do it from. Surprisingly to me, Mahommes went in the first round of the Challenge draft before I took LJ. Didn't see that coming.

Knowing that league(and having won it), your NFL Challenge draft is damn good. Which IDPs did you grab there? We reduced from 32 to 24 teams a couple of seasons ago so while the league is still tough, the drafts aren't quite as challenging. I reached a few rounds early for Budda Baker and Dante Fowler. Also locked down my homer pick with Justin Simmons. Devin White is my top LB.

Mako 5 and Shark Assassins looking decent. Agreed Mako 6 is the weakest. Definitely harder to pull it off from an early draft spot.

We miss you in the Challenge league btw.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 121,546.40
endzoneview wrote:But we Lamar drafters won our league because of a combination of Lamar's scoring and drafting him so late allowing us to have another top tier player in our lineup. Same thing in 2018 for those of us who drafted Mahomes late.

The answer to me isn't to draft on last year's numbers, even though he has a great shot of surpassing them. We always have to draft thinking forward. Who's the next Lamar?

I don't blame you at all for falling in love with him though. I've considered the same but draft with your head, not your heart.

Yep - I'm not going to talk someone off either of them in the top 20, but I think for it to be a justifiable strategy you must identify difference making mid rounders at other positions. 19 Lamar was great cause he also came with Chubb and Kelce. 18 Mahomes with Gordon and Nuk. If you're taking either of them early this year then what mid rounders may do what they did in those years?
Megalodon
Sand$: 24,208.20
your teams don't look that bad...go for it. There's more than one way to win this game. I wouldn't do it but i like when people pick their guys.

I don't think Lamar will make or break your team...it's all about those mid to late round gems and hitting the waiver wire.

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:There's more than one way to win this game. I wouldn't do it but i like when people pick their guys.

agree

Also, bonus points for the thread title because I had to do a double take
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:But we Lamar drafters won our league because of a combination of Lamar's scoring and drafting him so late allowing us to have another top tier player in our lineup. Same thing in 2018 for those of us who drafted Mahomes late.

Correct to some extent, but are you getting that top tier player in the 1st round? Very possibly not. Of the top 12 players in ADP last season only 5 finished in the top 12 of non-QB scoring. More likely you drafted well in the other rounds and landed guys like Jones, Ekeler, Henry and Godwin.

I didn't draft Mahomes in the 1st last year. As well you shouldn't have. Mahommes only offered you a 3 ppg advantage over the #2 QB in 2018 and a 6ppg advantage over the #10 QB. Lamar offered a 6 ppg advantage over the #2 QB(Watson) and a 10 ppg advantage over the #10 QB last season.

The answer to me isn't to draft on last year's numbers, even though he has a great shot of surpassing them. We always have to draft thinking forward. Who's the next Lamar? I agree, but you aren't going to find the next Lamar in the 1st round. So why not take Lamar in the 1st round?

I don't blame you at all for falling in love with him though. I've considered the same but draft with your head, not your heart. And I typically do. I just thought it was worth trying this season.

Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:

Yep - I'm not going to talk someone off either of them in the top 20, but I think for it to be a justifiable strategy you must identify difference making mid rounders at other positions. 19 Lamar was great cause he also came with Chubb and Kelce. 18 Mahomes with Gordon and Nuk. If you're taking either of them early this year then what mid rounders may do what they did in those years?

Completely agree.

scootm44 wrote:

Correct to some extent, but are you getting that top tier player in the 1st round? Very possibly not. Of the top 12 players in ADP last season only 5 finished in the top 12 of non-QB scoring. More likely you drafted well in the other rounds and landed guys like Jones, Ekeler, Henry and Godwin.

I didn't draft Mahomes in the 1st last year. As well you shouldn't have. Mahommes only offered you a 3 ppg advantage over the #2 QB in 2018 and a 6ppg advantage over the #10 QB. Lamar offered a 6 ppg advantage over the #2 QB(Watson) and a 10 ppg advantage over the #10 QB last season.

The answer to me isn't to draft on last year's numbers, even though he has a great shot of surpassing them. We always have to draft thinking forward. Who's the next Lamar? I agree, but you aren't going to find the next Lamar in the 1st round. So why not take Lamar in the 1st round?

I don't blame you at all for falling in love with him though. I've considered the same but draft with your head, not your heart. And I typically do. I just thought it was worth trying this season.

^ all good counter points

Don't mind me, I'm a little cocky after drafting Mahomes and Jackson after the 8th round in back to back seasons. I'm trying to go 3 for 3 but I'm less confident on my "mid/late QB to finish QB1" pick for this year so maybe I'll re-consider.
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:There's more than one way to win this game. I wouldn't do it but i like when people pick their guys.

agree

Also, bonus points for the thread title because I had to do a double take

I thought I might try to come in and play his role and take you all on but after reading through the original it was clear that I don't have the passion for my argument that he had. What a classic take.

Megalodon
For the few uninitiated: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122806

I'll give the guy credit. Few come in anymore with guns blazing like that and stick to those guns so well.

Tiger Shark
Sand$: 543.92
How do folks feel about Lamar in the 2nd (if available)? Obviously those are who pushing for him as a first round pick are on board, but I'm curious since I'll be at the elbow in a 12 person .5 PPR redraft league that gives you a keeper which eats your first round pick (yes I know I know) and I'll be keeping Saquon.

Had Lamar last year and didn't win, but still loved watching him and would be all in again. I guess I'm trying to use my head to convince my heart not to do what it wants. Maybe I shouldn't? Persuade me!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,852.86
Well here's one reason to get more excited about LJ: He barely played in any 4th quarters last year. The Ravens were historically good. Maybe they'll be historically good again, but I except his efficiency to go down and volume to go up. That's good news for fantasy owners.

I'm a dude.