2020 Hot Seat

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 83,699.78
both the jags and bolts jobs are lip smacking if you're a potential HC hire. you can debate either as better than the other, but both are dream set ups for a new staff.

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount St. Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,541.50
getdownmmmkay wrote:both the jags and bolts jobs are lip smacking if you're a potential HC hire. you can debate either as better than the other, but both are dream set ups for a new staff.

Not sure I'd go that far each franchise has its own baggage.

Jags issues are mostly stigma, attracting free agents. The job benefits are a fairly hands-off owner and fairly long leash on job security (Coughlin and Del Rio got long tenures).

Chargers you have danpoleon-jr. Not a hands-off franchise, and a short leash in recent history.

Keep in mind the NFL is still a money making business. We all like to pretend the salary cap is the salary cap and every team should max it every year, but there may be internal pressures not to every year because it is still real money spent.

You've got teams like the Browns that perennial underspend. Why?

The only team we actually have insight with is the GB Packers. In 2019 they had a profit of $1M and 2020 a profit of $70M.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 121,437.02
The Browns have lot of problems, but underspending ain't one of them.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 26,575.98
getdownmmmkay wrote:both the jags and bolts jobs are lip smacking if you're a potential HC hire. you can debate either as better than the other, but both are dream set ups for a new staff.

Unless you are in love with one of the QB’s in this draft, I don’t see how Jax can possibly be as appealing as LAC.

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
Supreme Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:
SJSwarm wrote:The good news for Bolts fans is that they have a really attractive roster and will have a very high draft pick. They need to convince Eric Bieniemy to leave KC.

Definitely the most attractive job out of the ones that will be open from a talent and draft pick perspective.

Not sure I agree, but since I know how you feel about Justin Fields I get why you'd think that.

Assume Jags get the #2 pick
*Cost controlled young QB
*Healthy financial position to work in free agency and the trade market
*A young foundation to build from
*All of their own early round picks
*Plus the Rams #1 (20something)
*And the Vikings #2 (40something)

Rebuild the culture in 21 and add enough assets with the above tools then this team could be a legit threat in 22.

I just don’t think this is the draft to rebuild a franchise off of. They can get some pieces. Pieces the Chargers already have. If the Bolts get a certain HOF level tackle that I’m fond of and that is good friends with Herbert, the sky is the limit for them.

And I don’t think the Jags are smart enough to take Lance or Wilson instead of Fields.

Supreme Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:When you combine offense and defense, though.. I'd have to agree with Swarm that LAC is the most attractive spot. That defense is quite good when healthy (although, that's been a rarity as of late)

Do they have any foundation pieces beyond Bosa and Derwin? Those are two great pieces to build from, but their lacking anything beyond that is why they run into so many problems when they're out. They have some functional pieces on the line and secondary, but are consistently exposed when they miss those x factors. I was not optimistic about Murray and he hasn't done anything this year to change that, so the whole LB unit is/was a problem.

If we are arguing defensive foundation pieces, what exactly are the Jags bringing to the table? Josh Allen has shown flashes, but he ain’t Bosa. So Myles Jack and ????

And unless the Rams completely bottom out, they aren’t getting a Joey Bosa or a Derwin James with that pick. They do have the ammo to move up for a Parsons or Surtain Jr, but that’s a lot of ifs to bank on if I’m say, Bieniemy.

Supreme Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:When you combine offense and defense, though.. I'd have to agree with Swarm that LAC is the most attractive spot. That defense is quite good when healthy (although, that's been a rarity as of late)

Do they have any foundation pieces beyond Bosa and Derwin? Those are two great pieces to build from, but their lacking anything beyond that is why they run into so many problems when they're out. They have some functional pieces on the line and secondary, but are consistently exposed when they miss those x factors. I was not optimistic about Murray and he hasn't done anything this year to change that, so the whole LB unit is/was a problem.

If we are arguing defensive foundation pieces, what exactly are the Jags bringing to the table? Josh Allen has shown flashes, but he ain’t Bosa. So Myles Jack and ????

And unless the Rams completely bottom out, they aren’t getting a Joey Bosa or a Derwin James with that pick. They do have the ammo to move up for a Parsons or Surtain Jr, but that’s a lot of ifs to bank on if I’m say, Bieniemy.
Allen was great year one and hasn't been healthy year 2. You're right that he's not Bosa, but he's still a top tier edge to build around.

It requires some projection and good hires in January, but I think CJ Henderson will be more valuable than Derwin by October '21.

And ultimately that last part is what matters. Who will be better in 21. And Jax has more young assets.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,141.08
Not sure how many "foundation" pieces are needed or even realistically attainable, financially or otherwise.. Derwin is an absolute game changer and he alone would have changed the entire complexion. Engram opposite Bosa is very solid but again injured. The D had some solid complementary players but injuries just ravaged them the last few seasons. Which obviously shined light on their depth issues but in some cases they've had to go deep into the roster for fillins it's been so bad.

I almost hate bringing up injuries though because each and every team struggles with that issue. They have been a bit unluckier than many though.. Remove players Ingram and James' caliber from any roster and there are going to be issues

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
sctroyfan wrote:Not sure how many "foundation" pieces are needed or even realistically attainable, financially or otherwise.. Derwin is an absolute game changer and he alone would have changed the entire complexion. Engram opposite Bosa is very solid but again injured. The D had some solid complementary players but injuries just ravaged them the last few seasons. Which obviously shined light on their depth issues but in some cases they've had to go deep into the roster for fillins it's been so bad.

I almost hate bringing up injuries though because each and every team struggles with that issue. They have been a bit unluckier than many though.. Remove players Ingram and James' caliber from any roster and there are going to be issues

:thumbright:

Stars matter. And so does depth. Studs and scrubs rarely works and when it does it's usually a one-off sorta thing, like Jacksonville when they made that AFCCG run. Enhanced ability to acquire both is why I think the Jags situation is more attractive - their core is younger, they have $35m more available to spend, and they have have 5 picks in the top 75 compared to 3. For me, there's only one reason the Chargers job would be better - if my assessment is that Herbert is substantially better than every non-Lawrence QB in the 21 draft.
Great White Shark
OarChambo wrote:
sctroyfan wrote:Not sure how many "foundation" pieces are needed or even realistically attainable, financially or otherwise.. Derwin is an absolute game changer and he alone would have changed the entire complexion. Engram opposite Bosa is very solid but again injured. The D had some solid complementary players but injuries just ravaged them the last few seasons. Which obviously shined light on their depth issues but in some cases they've had to go deep into the roster for fillins it's been so bad.

:thumbright:

Stars matter. And so does depth. Studs and scrubs rarely works and when it does it's usually a one-off sorta thing, like Jacksonville when they made that AFCCG run. Enhanced ability to acquire both is why I think the Jags situation is more attractive - their core is younger, they have $35m more available to spend, and they have have 5 picks in the top 75 compared to 3. For me, there's only one reason the Chargers job would be better - if my assessment is that Herbert is substantially better than every non-Lawrence QB in the 21 draft.

William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
I don't agree with that. Good management teams are adept at maximizing value out of their scarce resources - and the more of them they have the better. Fear of the unknown ain't a trait I'm interested in when it comes to my team's leadership. Assess the talent available then make informed decisions.
Great White Shark
In terms of Qb I will agree to disagree. It's a crapshoot at best whether one develops and to already have one in place is a huge advantage..

William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
sctroyfan wrote:In terms of Qb I will agree to disagree. It's a crapshoot at best whether one develops and to already have one in place is a huge advantage..

From our perspective? I agree, our access to information is limited so we're tasked with making uninformed decisions. From a team's perspective I don't anymore. Their access to information is not limited - they have the ability to make informed decisions within an organizational framework they control. The expectation is for them to get it right.

Probably a better subject to dissect in winter/spring in a different thread though.
Great White Shark
OarChambo wrote:
sctroyfan wrote:In terms of Qb I will agree to disagree. It's a crapshoot at best whether one develops and to already have one in place is a huge advantage..

From our perspective? I agree, our access to information is limited so we're tasked with making uninformed decisions. From a team's perspective I don't anymore. Their access to information is not limited - they have the ability to make informed decisions within an organizational framework they control. The expectation is for them to get it right.

Probably a better subject to dissect in winter/spring in a different thread though.

I'm just saying that for every 1 joe burrow there are 5-6 lockers, mariotas, Rosens, Bortles, manziels ( not to get personal ) etc..

Now, no state income tax is a nice selling point!

William G. McAdoo
Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,444.60
sctroyfan wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

I'm just saying that for every 1 joe burrow there are 5-6 lockers, mariotas, Rosens, Bortles, manziels ( not to get personal ) etc..

Now, no state income tax is a nice selling point!

Yup.. 20% in Cali gone in taxes? vs 0% in Florida? i'll take Fl.

With the bolts, you are playing behind the Chiefs. AFC south? I think the Jags could hang in that division with some pieces but the Bolts aren't going to catch the Chiefs anytime sorta kinda soon.