Rant — Head to head

Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,946.00
Apologies Tank — but I must rant. For 3 weeks now ,I have put up a ton of points, but my record is 1-2. I have scored the 2nd highest points in the league twice — would have beaten everyone else — however Both of those times, my opponent was the highest scoring team. To be fair, in past seasons I have been the benefactor of this luck on the good side, where my “points against” was very low and my W-L record seemed like a mirage. This year my luck appears to have run out.

Very frustrating. Does anyone play other leagues aside from Head to head? And do you prefer that?

QB: Russ/Tanny / RB: Jones, Davis, Ahmed, Hines, Williams, Booker, Gaskin(IR), Aiyuk (IR)
WR: Dvnte, AJBrown, ARob, Tee / Fant, Gdrt / Lutz / MIN
--
QB: Herb RB: DCook, Jacbs, Mattsn, Booker
WR: Ridley, DK, JJeff, Gllday / Jonnu / Carlson / LAR,CHI
Honorary Mod (powerless)
Sand$: 2,787.70
My home league played "overall points" for 10+ years before we officially switched to H2H. It does give you a more true picture of who the best teams are, but honestly i wouldn't go back. Most of the teams lose interest mid season as they know the have no chance to catch the leaders.

In H2H, there is always a chance....if even just to play spoiler.
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 1,662.30
Yeah, I played overall points for years in college, but once we made the H2H switch it was much more engaging. And I think it's fine - in most sports the best team often fails to win. That's just the way the ball bounces :-P
Great White Shark
gridguru wrote:My home league played "overall points" for 10+ years before we officially switched to H2H. It does give you a more true picture of who the best teams are, but honestly i wouldn't go back. Most of the teams lose interest mid season as they know the have no chance to catch the leaders.

In H2H, there is always a chance....if even just to play spoiler.

Yeah, I can see that for sure. Is what it is I guess ... Just such a gut punch to get all those points and then watch Kamara + Josh Allen go off and crush your dreams of a W. Long season though.

QB: Russ/Tanny / RB: Jones, Davis, Ahmed, Hines, Williams, Booker, Gaskin(IR), Aiyuk (IR)
--
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,721.94
Maybe play H2H, but use part of the payout for overall points leader? We do that, so you kind of get the best of both.

Whale Shark
Sand$: 8,857.42
ross3650 wrote:Maybe play H2H, but use part of the payout for overall points leader? We do that, so you kind of get the best of both.

This. In my H2H leagues we payout weekly high score and overall points at end of the year. Recently in one of my leagues, it was voted to move Overall Points ahead of H2H in Playoff Tiebreaker. I wasn't in favor, but majority rules... :Drink)
Great White Shark
Yeah we award weekly high points with some $$ — which is redundant bc they’re already getting a W.
I like the Overall Points getting something at the end. All good guys. Mods can archive this thread ... I’ve got a good team just some bad beats.

--
SandShark
Sand$: 244.26
I have a league where we pay top two point totals every 2 weeks,

40 bux entry - top point guy after week 1 and 2 got 10 bux, 2nd got 5

week 3-4 combined same thing, all the way thru, week 11-13 is only difference, 3 week total.

anticipating a season being ended midstream, this gets some prize money out, gives guys something to root for money wise all year in small bits.

I have heard of league where there is 2 wins on the table each week, your head to head and those in top half of weekly points get another win as well - not sure what site allows that set up but it sounds like a great combo
Whale Shark
Sand$: 2,721.06
nosman21 wrote:Apologies Tank — but I must rant. For 3 weeks now ,I have put up a ton of points, but my record is 1-2. I have scored the 2nd highest points in the league twice — would have beaten everyone else — however Both of those times, my opponent was the highest scoring team. To be fair, in past seasons I have been the benefactor of this luck on the good side, where my “points against” was very low and my W-L record seemed like a mirage. This year my luck appears to have run out.

Very frustrating. Does anyone play other leagues aside from Head to head? And do you prefer that?

:laughing-smiley-012:
Oh good, so it isn't just me.
I have a couple of these already this year, and if I lose twice tonight I'll have a couple more. I'm told it builds character.
Just a heads up, weeping in the shower doesn't help. You get yelled at for using all the hot water.

Not a hijack attempt, but is 'all play' still a format out there anywhere? Has anyone played it and did you enjoy it?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 81,072.90
Victory point system.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 48,596.74
we pay out $100 to the regular season points champ.

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount St. Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,561.94
I have always given a payout to overall points leader. You'd be amazed how often that person is not in the playoffs.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 9,507.79
I’ve been in one league with mostly the same guys for 15 years... it’s H2H but there’s one guy who literally every year complains and wants it changed. Every year we tell him no. I see and have felt the frustration of losing when you’ve had a high score but that’s the way she goes... it’s like being in an NFL division with several other elite teams.

Edit:what we do that maybe softens the blow a bit is we have cash payouts for weekly high score and for the top 3 high scores on the season.

2019 LOT “The Resurrected One”
2015 LOT Norse League Champion
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 2,001.74
Like other H2H leagues, we also pay out for weekly high score.

But we also have a "survivor" pool. Every team puts in $10. Each week, the lowest-scoring team remaining in the pool is removed. Last team standing gets the pot. It adds a bit more randomness than basing it on strictly points, but it's fun.

QB: Herbert, Tagovailoa   RB: A.Jones, Chubb, Mostert, McKinnon, J.Williams  WR: Parker, Lockett, Higgins, Reagor
TE: Kelce  IDP: Baker  K: Lutz  DST: PIT   12-team,redraft+1kp,non-ppr,start10:QB,1-3RB,2-4WR,1-3TE,1DP,K,DST
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,089.89
Yeah, my league pays out for weekly high score as well. I like the idea of a payout for overall points leader at the end of the regular season as well. I gotta bring that up for next year.

I've always wanted to start a league where it is a hybrid H2H/Points system. Each week you could go 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2. A W for the H2H win, and a W for the top half point leaders in the league ( A L for the converse obviously). I think it's the fairest way and probably even more fun. Is there a website that enables this option?

MFL might...I'd have to look. I'm not down with paying for a host but it may be worth it.