The 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Post Reply  
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55629
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 42,195.13
Fields is from Georgia so with Atlanta picking in the top 5, I have to assume he'll be strongly considered there.
Great White Shark
Posts: 4480
Joined: Sun Oct 7, 2012
Sand$: 23,131.70
OarChambo wrote:I think it would be in Fields' best long term interests to return to school for one more season. I think he has all the tools to be a quality starter in the pros, but he's not refined. He has flaws that need tightened up for him to successfully make the transition. If he goes to a team that has the organizational structure in place to develop him through that process then he can thrive, but those teams don't typically exist near the top of the draft. If he goes to a bad situation then given what currently ails him that could ruin him.


I think the question becomes.. will he get that refinement at OSU?

This is an offense that made the NFL let Michael Thomas drop into the 2nd round, Terry McLaurin drop into the 3rd round.. it's just a weird offense without a lot of parallels to the NFL game.

Fields is a top 10 all time graded highschool QB prospect, right below Trevor Lawrence.. yet one of them has developed into an Andrew Luck level can't miss prospect.. and the other still looks like a raw but talented QB.

College coaching matters. If he were at Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. I'd agree with you.. but OSU's offense ain't it.
_______________________________________

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59866
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,389.06
hard 10 wrote:
bluemist wrote:
OarChambo wrote:I think it would be in Fields' best long term interests to return to school for one more season. I think he has all the tools to be a quality starter in the pros, but he's not refined. He has flaws that need tightened up for him to successfully make the transition. If he goes to a team that has the organizational structure in place to develop him through that process then he can thrive, but those teams don't typically exist near the top of the draft. If he goes to a bad situation then given what currently ails him that could ruin him.
I agree, but as it looks now he will be in the top 5 at the very worst. Hard to say without knowing the kid's personal situation, but far too many guys lack the vision to think about their long term development when that cash is staring them in the face.


For most of these guys, the end goal of their college career is to make it to the NFL. Taking advantage of that opportunity does not denote a lack of vision regarding their long term development.

I agree with this simplistic assessment for every position except for QB.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59866
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,389.06
zuggyawesome wrote:
OarChambo wrote:I think it would be in Fields' best long term interests to return to school for one more season. I think he has all the tools to be a quality starter in the pros, but he's not refined. He has flaws that need tightened up for him to successfully make the transition. If he goes to a team that has the organizational structure in place to develop him through that process then he can thrive, but those teams don't typically exist near the top of the draft. If he goes to a bad situation then given what currently ails him that could ruin him.


I think the question becomes.. will he get that refinement at OSU?

This is an offense that made the NFL let Michael Thomas drop into the 2nd round, Terry McLaurin drop into the 3rd round.. it's just a weird offense without a lot of parallels to the NFL game.

Fields is a top 10 all time graded highschool QB prospect, right below Trevor Lawrence.. yet one of them has developed into an Andrew Luck level can't miss prospect.. and the other still looks like a raw but talented QB.

College coaching matters. If he were at Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. I'd agree with you.. but OSU's offense ain't it.

It's a good question, but there is insufficient info to provide an informed answer since Fields doesn't have the same coaching.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29271
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006
Sand$: 49,542.41
OSU QB's the last 20 years...

2000-01 - Steve Bellisari
2002-03 - Craig Krenzel
2004-05 - Justin Zwick
2006 - Troy Smith
2007-08 - Todd Boeckman
2009-10 - Terrelle Pryor
2011 - Joe Bauserman
2012-13 - Braxton Miller
2014 - J.T. Barrett
2015 - Cardale Jones
2016-17 - J.T. Barrett
2018 - Dwayne Haskins
2019-20 - Justin Fields

Doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59866
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,389.06
LSU QB's the last 20 years

Josh Booty
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck
Marcus Randall
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Flynn
Jarrett Lee
Jordan Jefferson
Zach Mettenberger
Anthony Jennings
Brandon Harris
Danny Etling
Joe Burrow
Great White Shark
Posts: 4480
Joined: Sun Oct 7, 2012
Sand$: 23,131.70
jesteva wrote:OSU QB's the last 20 years...

2000-01 - Steve Bellisari
2002-03 - Craig Krenzel
2004-05 - Justin Zwick
2006 - Troy Smith
2007-08 - Todd Boeckman
2009-10 - Terrelle Pryor
2011 - Joe Bauserman
2012-13 - Braxton Miller
2014 - J.T. Barrett
2015 - Cardale Jones
2016-17 - J.T. Barrett
2018 - Dwayne Haskins
2019-20 - Justin Fields

Doesn't instill a lot of confidence.


Justin Fields is the most talented QB OSU has ever had (based on highschool grades).

You're not drafting Fields because he went to OSU. You're drafting him despite the fact he comes from an offense that doesn't prepare their QBs well for the NFL.
_______________________________________

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59866
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,389.06
zuggyawesome wrote:
jesteva wrote:OSU QB's the last 20 years...

2000-01 - Steve Bellisari
2002-03 - Craig Krenzel
2004-05 - Justin Zwick
2006 - Troy Smith
2007-08 - Todd Boeckman
2009-10 - Terrelle Pryor
2011 - Joe Bauserman
2012-13 - Braxton Miller
2014 - J.T. Barrett
2015 - Cardale Jones
2016-17 - J.T. Barrett
2018 - Dwayne Haskins
2019-20 - Justin Fields

Doesn't instill a lot of confidence.


Justin Fields is the most talented QB OSU has ever had (based on highschool grades).

You're not drafting Fields because he went to OSU. You're drafting him despite the fact he comes from an offense that doesn't prepare their QBs well for the NFL.

You can ignore the information posted before that runs counter to your preconceived bias, but it doesn't make it true.
Great White Shark
Posts: 4480
Joined: Sun Oct 7, 2012
Sand$: 23,131.70
OarChambo wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:
Justin Fields is the most talented QB OSU has ever had (based on highschool grades).

You're not drafting Fields because he went to OSU. You're drafting him despite the fact he comes from an offense that doesn't prepare their QBs well for the NFL.

You can ignore the information posted before that runs counter to your preconceived bias, but it doesn't make it true.


It's true that we don't know that OSU doesn't develop their QBs well.

But we never really know anything when it come to QBs. Justin Herbert similarly got a lot of flack for being overly reliant on screen passes, and checking the ball down too often at Oregon.. but we all saw the tools to be a successful QB. The case for drafting Fields is very similar, imo.
_______________________________________

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29271
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006
Sand$: 49,542.41
Justin Fields is the most talented QB OSU has ever had (based on highschool grades).


You think Tony Dorsett was the most talented RB Pitt ever recruited?

The list of high HS recruits who didn't continue to evolve is so large its not worth discussing and a total false argument.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55629
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 42,195.13
I recall there was this running back from Polk High that was going to be a sure thing
Great White Shark
Posts: 4480
Joined: Sun Oct 7, 2012
Sand$: 23,131.70
jesteva wrote:
Justin Fields is the most talented QB OSU has ever had (based on highschool grades).


You think Tony Dorsett was the most talented RB Pitt ever recruited?

The list of high HS recruits who didn't continue to evolve is so large its not worth discussing and a total false argument.


I don't put a lot of stock into it, but it's not completely irrelevant. You're more likely to see a highly recruited high school player have success than a guy who comes out of nowhere.. but how these guys do in college is obviously a better indicator. Terrelle Pryor for instance was a highly regarded highschool recruit that proved to be more athlete than QB. At least Fields has had success as a passer.

I added that more as a point against using names from decades ago against him.. from players who weren't as talented, playing in entirely different offenses and under different coaches.

Top WRs like Michael Thomas and Terry McLaurin not being utilized properly in this offense tells me more about the NFL applications of this offense than the long list of failed OSU QBs.
_______________________________________

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29271
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006
Sand$: 49,542.41
endzoneview wrote:I recall there was this running back from Polk High that was going to be a sure thing


:lol:

BTW...good list of the LS QB's as well.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 33646
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 27,437.46
OarChambo wrote:LSU QB's the last 20 years

Josh Booty
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck
Marcus Randall
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Flynn
Jarrett Lee
Jordan Jefferson
Zach Mettenberger
Anthony Jennings
Brandon Harris
Danny Etling
Joe Burrow




So QB's that played for Les Miles and Nick Saban relate to the one that played in Joe Brady's offense how? :-k

Steve's original post that you are replying to is flawed, as it goes too far back. But it is reasonable to look at the NFL outcomes of the OSU QB's in the Meyer/Day era, because they run the same offense.
_______________________________________

#FIREGRUDEN
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55629
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 42,195.13
jesteva wrote:
endzoneview wrote:I recall there was this running back from Polk High that was going to be a sure thing


:lol:

BTW...good list of the LS QB's as well.


just for the hell of it, here is some trivia you will never use -

"Spare Tire" went to Andrew Johnson High. All they do is churn out top tier defensive ends.