2010-2011 NCAA Hockey Thread

Megalodon
Sand$: 43,860.22
Says something about the program that North Dakota is no where to be found on the list, but we pump out one of the consistently best teams in the country.
Megalodon
Sand$: 2.00
und2006 wrote:Says something about the program that North Dakota is no where to be found on the list, but we pump out one of the consistently best teams in the country.

North Dakota pretty much has their top choice of Canadian kids, since Minnesota doesn't recruit there (Although we do have a Canadian goalie coming in next year).

Also, for the Iron Range MN kids, UND is obviously much closer than UM, so they've got a bit of an advantage there with the Warroad and Roseau players. That is, the ones that the Gophers don't want.

I keed, I keed :wink:

University of Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:Says something about the program that North Dakota is no where to be found on the list, but we pump out one of the consistently best teams in the country.

North Dakota pretty much has their top choice of Canadian kids, since Minnesota doesn't recruit there (Although we do have a Canadian goalie coming in next year).

Also, for the Iron Range MN kids, UND is obviously much closer than UM, so they've got a bit of an advantage there with the Warroad and Roseau players. That is, the ones that the Gophers don't want.

You couldn't even hold on to the Parise kids.

IBRP
Megalodon
und2006 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:

IBRP

IBRP = I beat the rebuttal post? :lol:

If I have my years right, Zach was playing at Shattuck and being recruited while UND had just won the championship, and while the Gophers were in a lull, and going through a coaching change. Can't get 'em all.

I certainly can't blame him, UND was probably the best choice for him. Go play for Blais coming off a championship season, or the Gophers with a new coach after missing the tourney for a couple years.

Although, in hindsight, could you imagine the '03 Gophers with Parise? Him and Vanek on the same team, they might not have lost a game all year :shock:

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:

IBRP

IBRP = I beat the rebuttal post? :lol:

If I have my years right, Zach was playing at Shattuck and being recruited while UND had just won the championship, and while the Gophers were in a lull, and going through a coaching change. Can't get 'em all.

I certainly can't blame him, UND was probably the best choice for him. Go play for Blais coming off a championship season, or the Gophers with a new coach after missing the tourney for a couple years.

Although, in hindsight, could you imagine the '03 Gophers with Parise? Him and Vanek on the same team, they might not have lost a game all year :shock:

In Before Ryan Patulny...
Megalodon
und2006 wrote:In Before Ryan Patulny...

That one went WAY over my head #-o :lol:

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
A lot of signings in the last week. Justin Faulk and Mike Connolly gone from UMD. Also hearing that Jack Connolly might sign, but most UMD fans I've talked to think he will be back. That's A LOT of scoring gone from UMD, and there's talk that Sandelin may be heading to Penn State. They will be able to throw a lot of money at him, and there's no way UMD will even be able to come close to matching it.

Not hearing a lot out of Mariucci as far as early departures go. The only thing I've heard is Nico Sachetti probably won't be back for his senior season. No big loss there, outside of scoring the game winning PPG in Grand Forks this year he didn't really contribute much. He would be a 4th liner next year. I'm really hoping Bjugstad stays for another year, he is currently planning on being back, but I can never be 100% sure on some of these guys :lol:

It will be an interesting off season for UND. I've heard Hextall is all but gone, Blood is probably gone. Gregoire and Kristo are wild cards. I thought Gregoire was gone for sure, but he may be having second thoughts now. Montreal just offered Aaron Dell a 2 year contract. I don't see Dell leaving, but MTL is trying to get him.

edit:
Aaron Dell's twitter:

Just want to let all of you Sioux fans know that I am completely committed to returning for my junior year. Can't wait

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Justin Fontaine signed with the Wild today =D>

Ben Blood tweeted that he will be back for his senior season.

-Herb Brooks
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
Blood wants another Badger whoopin', huh?.. thought he'd be tired of it by now

:P

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Megalodon
birddog wrote:Blood wants another Badger whoopin', huh?.. thought he'd be tired of it by now

:P

What seed was Whisky in the NCAA?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
I swear it was fixed

:lol:

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Megalodon
Today was supposed to be the day that UND officials, state officials, and NCAA officials sat down and discussed the ongoing Nickname issue. But... the NCAA didn't show.

UND is stuck in quite the awkward position, violate state law, or face NCAA sanctions. The NCAA has stated that they don't care about the new law in North Dakota, and it is not their problem.

Insane... just sit down and at least talk about this. Stop trying to make an example out of the little guy, you picked on the wrong school NCAA. I don't see how this ends short of the Standing Rock tribe putting this up for a vote and ending this one way or another.
Megalodon
und2006 wrote:Today was supposed to be the day that UND officials, state officials, and NCAA officials sat down and discussed the ongoing Nickname issue. But... the NCAA didn't show.

UND is stuck in quite the awkward position, violate state law, or face NCAA sanctions. The NCAA has stated that they don't care about the new law in North Dakota, and it is not their problem.

Insane... just sit down and at least talk about this. Stop trying to make an example out of the little guy, you picked on the wrong school NCAA. I don't see how this ends short of the Standing Rock tribe putting this up for a vote and ending this one way or another.

It's ridiculous that this is still going on.

Get all the affected tribe(s) together and vote on it. If any of them find it offensive, change the name. If they're all cool with it, keep the name. It doesn't need to be drug out for this long.

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Penn State is announcing their head coach on Monday. Sandelin interviewed for the job yesterday. Apparently he is on the short list, along with Mark Johnson (UW women's coach)

Either is a good choice and brings instant credibility to the program. I think it will be Sandelin.

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:Today was supposed to be the day that UND officials, state officials, and NCAA officials sat down and discussed the ongoing Nickname issue. But... the NCAA didn't show.

It's ridiculous that this is still going on.

Get all the affected tribe(s) together and vote on it. If any of them find it offensive, change the name. If they're all cool with it, keep the name. It doesn't need to be drug out for this long.

I don't see this ending without the Standing Rock tribe taking a vote on the matter. The only way the state legislature is going to remove the new law is if the Standing Rock tribe says they are not in support of it.

Problem is their current elder council won't take any action one way or another on the matter. They say that a public referendum is not an option under their system of government, and they will not sign the appropriate agreement about the nickname. They also are not allowed by tribal law to speak out against the nickname, as previous elders supported the nickname, and they are not allowed to undo what has been done by previous elders.

This is far from over...