2010-2011 NCAA Hockey Thread

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:Penn State is announcing their head coach on Monday. Sandelin interviewed for the job yesterday. Apparently he is on the short list, along with Mark Johnson (UW women's coach)

Either is a good choice and brings instant credibility to the program. I think it will be Sandelin.

We talked about this whole coaching thing at UW yesterday over at the folks house.. Dad said he'd rather see Eaves gone and Johnson in as Men's coach.. left me scratching my head but he's the hockey wiz of the family.

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
und2006 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:Today was supposed to be the day that UND officials, state officials, and NCAA officials sat down and discussed the ongoing Nickname issue. But... the NCAA didn't show.

UND is stuck in quite the awkward position, violate state law, or face NCAA sanctions. The NCAA has stated that they don't care about the new law in North Dakota, and it is not their problem.

Insane... just sit down and at least talk about this. Stop trying to make an example out of the little guy, you picked on the wrong school NCAA. I don't see how this ends short of the Standing Rock tribe putting this up for a vote and ending this one way or another.

It's ridiculous that this is still going on.

Get all the affected tribe(s) together and vote on it. If any of them find it offensive, change the name. If they're all cool with it, keep the name. It doesn't need to be drug out for this long.

I don't see this ending without the Standing Rock tribe taking a vote on the matter. The only way the state legislature is going to remove the new law is if the Standing Rock tribe says they are not in support of it.

Problem is their current elder council won't take any action one way or another on the matter. They say that a public referendum is not an option under their system of government, and they will not sign the appropriate agreement about the nickname. They also are not allowed by tribal law to speak out against the nickname, as previous elders supported the nickname, and they are not allowed to undo what has been done by previous elders.

This is far from over...

One would think it would be a source of pride for the area. Its kind of crazy the way they're beating this up.

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Megalodon
Sand$: 2.00
Well Penn State went with the Princeton coach. Surprised me to say the least, I thought for sure Sandelin would be their coach. I suppose they wanted somebody who understands recruiting in the NE U.S.

University of Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Sand$: 43,593.64
birddog wrote:
und2006 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:Today was supposed to be the day that UND officials, state officials, and NCAA officials sat down and discussed the ongoing Nickname issue. But... the NCAA didn't show.

UND is stuck in quite the awkward position, violate state law, or face NCAA sanctions. The NCAA has stated that they don't care about the new law in North Dakota, and it is not their problem.

Insane... just sit down and at least talk about this. Stop trying to make an example out of the little guy, you picked on the wrong school NCAA. I don't see how this ends short of the Standing Rock tribe putting this up for a vote and ending this one way or another.

It's ridiculous that this is still going on.

Get all the affected tribe(s) together and vote on it. If any of them find it offensive, change the name. If they're all cool with it, keep the name. It doesn't need to be drug out for this long.

I don't see this ending without the Standing Rock tribe taking a vote on the matter. The only way the state legislature is going to remove the new law is if the Standing Rock tribe says they are not in support of it.

Problem is their current elder council won't take any action one way or another on the matter. They say that a public referendum is not an option under their system of government, and they will not sign the appropriate agreement about the nickname. They also are not allowed by tribal law to speak out against the nickname, as previous elders supported the nickname, and they are not allowed to undo what has been done by previous elders.

This is far from over...

One would think it would be a source of pride for the area. Its kind of crazy the way they're beating this up.

It is for a majority of Native Americans. I sat by a couple of older Native guys at a hockey game one time during Spring Break, they were probably 40-50ish. Said they had never been to a game before, and knew very little about hockey. But they thought it was the greatest thing ever that the University thought enough of their people to have them represent their teams.

They actually taught me a thing or two, they were aware of all of the symbolism that the artist put into the logo. Everything has meaning to them, the three feathers, the colors, even the straight jawline.

I talked with these guys the whole game, taught them how the game worked. Was a great experience.
Megalodon
Hearing that Gregoire is pretty much a lock to turn pro, forgoing his senior season.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Gregoire is gone, probably going the Blake Wheeler route and will sign as a free agent somewhere.

Frattin, Trupp, Malone, Gregoire. Wow, that's a lot of scoring leaving. Will be very interesting to see how UND replaces those guys.

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Tough news for DU. Sam Brittain, the freshman phenom goalie, is having surgery on his knee and won't be able to play until January, at the earliest.

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
John Hill is officiallt gone, and Mike Guentzel is coming back on as an assistant!!

What great news!!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> :Drink)

-Herb Brooks
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 312,168.35
how did the draft go?

Image Image

Megalodon
For college hockey purposes? Or just in general?

I don't want to sound like an a-hole here, but I'm kinda glad Seth Ambroz's draft stock fell. He was a projected top 10 (overall) pick a year ago, and he got taken in the 5th round. I think that means we will get 2, maybe even 3 (Dare I say it, maybe even 4?!?!?!?!?! :shock: ) years of him in a maroon and gold jersey.

With his size (he's something like 6'2", 120 lbs.), and the fact that he's already played 3 years of Juniors, I think he will be able to step in and contribute right away.

Kyle Rau - Nick Bjugstad - Seth Ambroz could be one hell of a line. The two big guys in Bjugstad and Ambroz, plus the pesky small (hopefully Cepis-like) kid in Kyle Rau. That's a lot of youth on one line, but if they play together from day 1 they might develop some good chemistry. I think Bjugstad will be one of the better centers in the league this year.

With the freshman coming in and Mike Guentzel back as assistant coach, October can't come soon enough!!

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Figured I'd put this in here instead of the WCHA thread.

MN State-Moorhead is having a press conference tomorrow to announce that they will become the 6th D1 hockey school in the state of Minnesota =D>

-Herb Brooks
Great White Shark
Sand$: 4,393.19
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:Figured I'd put this in here instead of the WCHA thread.

MN State-Moorhead is having a press conference tomorrow to announce that they will become the 6th D1 hockey school in the state of Minnesota =D>

And thus the long-overdue use of the word Mankato as well.

What women really want is security. I know because every time I approach a woman at a bar, that is what she starts screaming.
Megalodon
The Sioux lose highly touted recruit JT Miller to the OHL.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=88221

-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:Figured I'd put this in here instead of the WCHA thread.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/327082/

Not so much official yet it seems. I like it, I relocated to Fargo so my Sioux are a bit of a trek to see live.
Megalodon
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:The Sioux lose highly touted recruit JT Miller to the OHL.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=88221

Ouch... why?

Why would you go to Plymouth over UND? Does not compute! Look at the guys who went through UND playing in the pros, now look at the guys who went through Plymouth. Personally if I was the Rangers, I'd want my draft pick playing for the Sioux for a year.