1st time fantasy hockey

Tiger Shark
Sand$: 762.86
This is going to be my first year playing fantasy hockey. I need something to fill my time now that fantasy football is over. Will anyone offer me any draft advice? I plan on playing in a $20 Yahoo Pro League with the standard yahoo scoring. I know very little about hockey so any tips would be appreciated. I've been doing mock drafts but I am not certain what type of draft strategy would be best. What positions are deepest, who are some good mid round picks, sleepers, etc

Thanks
Tiger Shark
What does this mean?

Each week, your goaltenders must reach the minimum of 3 appearances. If you fail to reach this mark, you will lose all of your goaltending games for that week.
Megalodon
Sand$: 26,749.15
IZDemon wrote:What does this mean?

Each week, your goaltenders must reach the minimum of 3 appearances. If you fail to reach this mark, you will lose all of your goal tending games for that week.

It means....your goalies have to start three games (or play in three games).
Like in baseball...where your pitchers have to throw a minimum number of innings (say 20). If you don't reach the minimum innings...all pitching stats are erased.

So if you start a goalie and he has 2 appearances, 2 wins, 0 goals, 2 shutouts. Guess what....you get nothing.

stuffedcrust3meat wrote:to all the people we never meet that leave a lasting impression :Drink)

Tiger Shark
Forgive my ignorance, fantasy hockey is new to me and i'm trying to learn the rules.

Is it typical for a goalie to not make 3 appearances in a week? Is this something to be overly concerned about as I go into my draft?
Blue Shark
Sand$: 365.32
As a fairly new fantasy hockey player, yet avid fan, I would skip out on this season, as you don't really know who will be the starters in net for some major teams. Vancouver is still looking to move Roberto Luongo, with Toronto clearly in the need for a netminder, which leaves Cory Schneider still in limbo. Pittsburgh added Tomas Vokoun during the original off-season to back-up Marc-Andre Fleury or step in entirely if Fleury has an off-year. Detroit doesn't have a solid #1 option heading in, and Boston will have to make due with Tuukka Rask this year since Tim Thomas decided to take a sabbatical and was later released by the Bruins. New Jersey will be going back and forth between Marty Brodeur and Johan Hedberg for this shortened season, giving them both equal amount of time to play.

Here is a list of goaltenders that are guaranteed to be playing 30+ games in net.
Hendrik Lundquvist - Rangers
Ryan Miller - Sabres
Jonathan Quick - Kings
Mike Smith - Coyotes
Pekka Rinne - Predators
Tuukka Rask - Bruins
Carey Price - Canadiens (Habs)
Cam Ward - Hurricanes

So, if you are in a league that has more than 8 owners, you might as well be streaming netminders like you would starting pitchers in baseball.

You're allowed to sweat, bleed, cry, and even loose bodily functions...but you are NEVER ALLOWED TO QUIT!
Tiger Shark
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I am already set to play in a 12 team Yahoo $20 league we draft on Sunday. I suspect I will want to draft a goalie early to insure that I get a top guy. I will definately keep your list handy.

Would it be best to try and grab two top goalies within the first few rounds? Depending where I land in the draft order, I was thinking to have 2 goalies and a LW within the first 3 rounds then i'd plug in the rest of my roster with the best available player.

When should I start thinking about grabbing defensive guys? I've been seeing mixed opinions on that. Some places say defenders are deep and you can wait on them but is it best to grab at least one top defender before they are all taken?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 20,689.46
IZDemon wrote:Forgive my ignorance, fantasy hockey is new to me and i'm trying to learn the rules.

Is it typical for a goalie to not make 3 appearances in a week? Is this something to be overly concerned about as I go into my draft?

Teams generally play every other day or so, so a goaltender might make 3 starts in a given week, but there will be times when he is given the day off or is injured. However, that is why you usually have 2 goalie slots and a third stashed on your bench. You set your lineups according to who is playing each day. If your two starting goalies aren't playing, but your bench goalie is, move him up. It usually isn't hard to get the minimum starts necessary if you maintain your team.
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,558.34
Also, teams will rest their top goalie if they have games on back to back nights or have 3 games in 4 nights. If you ever have all 3 of your goalies in play on the same night, try and take a minute and possible to search around and see if any of them will be getting the night off.

2009 Tanked Dynasty League Champ
2010 Draft Sharks Semi-Pro West Champ
2011 Draft Sharks Pro Champ
2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion
Megalodon
Sand$: 2.00
LaSean4Heisman wrote:Also, teams will rest their top goalie if they have games on back to back nights or have 3 games in 4 nights. If you ever have all 3 of your goalies in play on the same night, try and take a minute and possible to search around and see if any of them will be getting the night off.

That will be especially true this year, there will be more "4 games in 5 nights" type scenarios, from my understanding.

University of Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,558.34
MN_HockeyGuy wrote:
LaSean4Heisman wrote:Also, teams will rest their top goalie if they have games on back to back nights or have 3 games in 4 nights. If you ever have all 3 of your goalies in play on the same night, try and take a minute and possible to search around and see if any of them will be getting the night off.

That will be especially true this year, there will be more "4 games in 5 nights" type scenarios, from my understanding.

Yes, teams with 2 very capable goalies will be at a definite advantage this season. That's why I'm excited Pittsburgh actually addressed and their backup goalie situation with Vokoun. Huge upgrade over Brent Johnson.

2009 Tanked Dynasty League Champ
2010 Draft Sharks Semi-Pro West Champ
2011 Draft Sharks Pro Champ
2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion
Tiger Shark
LaSean4Heisman wrote:
MN_HockeyGuy wrote:

Yes, teams with 2 very capable goalies will be at a definite advantage this season. That's why I'm excited Pittsburgh actually addressed and their backup goalie situation with Vokoun. Huge upgrade over Brent Johnson.

This is great information.
Tiger Shark
Am I in trouble with my goalies?

I got stuck taking Luongo in the 8th round. Goalies started flying off the board and I was gambling thinking I could snag Antti Niemi and he went right before I could get him. I also have Pekka Rinne and I grabbed Ondrej Pavelec later on.

12 team Yahoo standard scoring.
Blue Shark
Sand$: 365.32
IZDemon wrote:Am I in trouble with my goalies?

I got stuck taking Luongo in the 8th round. Goalies started flying off the board and I was gambling thinking I could snag Antti Niemi and he went right before I could get him. I also have Pekka Rinne and I grabbed Ondrej Pavelec later on.

12 team Yahoo standard scoring.

Luongo's status is still up in the air as to whether he will stay with Vancouver or be dealt (Toronto seems to be the most likely landing spot). Rinne is a great grab, as he really stepped it up last season and I see him coming close to those numbers. Ondrej Pavelec is a good grab for a backup, however, be ready to drop him when another netminder gets hot.
As far as grading your goaltenders, I'd have to say 6 out of 10. Luongo's status is what will decide this. If he is dealt, then it goes up to an 8. If Vancouver keeps him, it stays at 6.

You're allowed to sweat, bleed, cry, and even loose bodily functions...but you are NEVER ALLOWED TO QUIT!