Hockey Rumors & News.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 63,882.52
Wings general manager Ken Holland said on Monday that he's 'very close' to signing defenseman Chris Chelios to a one-year contract.
-- Michigan Live

Despite suspicions the goalie's injury was more in his head than his thigh, and mounting criticism that he let down the team by not being ready for the playoffs, Dominik Hasek says he wants to return because he didn't bring the Senators a Stanley Cup championship. And Hasek says the only team he'll play for is the Senators.
-- Ottawa Citizen

According to two sources with close ties to the Boston front office, Ray Shero was offered the GM position, either Sunday night or yesterday morning, and yesterday afternoon the sides remained in negotiations aimed at finalizing a deal.
-- Boston Globe

Former Rangers general manager Neil Smith said he recently has had a couple of phone conversations with Penguins CEO Ken Sawyer about the team's vacant general manager job. It is believed that Chicago director of player personnel Rick Dudley met with Sawyer last week. Dudley is a former GM in Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Florida.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mature and with a growing voice in the locker room, newly re-signed center Brad Richards could be Tampa Bay's next captain. Even if not named next season, it is a post he seems destined to hold.
-- St. Petersburg Times

Brad Richards' new deal in Tampa Bay might raise the bar for the Wild's negotiations with Marian Gaborik. The two sides traded verbal barbs in what has become an acrimonious contract squabble.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune
Supreme Megalodon
Might the Ducks make a switch in goal again to change their fortune? It's possible, though unlikely. The Ducks have lost two 3-1 games, in which the final goal has gone into an empty net. Still, it is an option and Jean-Sebastien Giguère promises to be ready if called upon.
-- The Globe and Mail
Supreme Megalodon
The Predators' re-signing of forward Jerred Smithson on Monday gives the team at least three players under contract who can perform in a third- or fourth-line center role. What that means for team captain Greg Johnson remains to be seen. General manager David Poile said the team is still in the process of deciding what course of action to take with the team's three potential unrestricted free agent centers ? Johnson, Yanic Perreault and Mike Sillinger.
-- The Tennessean
Supreme Megalodon
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Marc Crawford brings a demanding style and a winning resume to his new job as coach of the Los Angeles Kings.

Crawford was introduced Monday as the replacement for John Torchetti, who coached the season's final 12 games after Andy Murray was fired.

Crawford signed a multi-year deal. Terms weren't disclosed.

"We're going to continue to build on the strengths that they've had in here," he said. "It is a talented group. I look forward to hopefully helping some of the players make strong improvements in their game."

And make the playoffs, which the Kings missed for a third consecutive season after finishing 42-35-5.

Bringing Crawford aboard was the first major move by Kings general manager Dean Lombardi, hired last month to succeed Dave Taylor.

"This is not only a guy who knows how to win, but also knows how to get the best out of his players," said Lombardi, who spent 36 hours with Crawford last week.

"What impressed me the most was his willingness to admit he made mistakes and his willingness to admit he didn't have the answers yet, but he was going to find them," Lombardi said.

Crawford himself is fresh off being fired by the Vancouver Canucks in April after seven years that included four consecutive playoff appearances before missing this season.

He has a regular-season record of 411-285-127 in 12 seasons in the NHL, and a 43-40 playoff mark.

The 46-year-old Crawford guided Colorado to the 1996 Stanley Cup championship with Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy. Crawford becomes the first coach in Kings' history to have a Stanley Cup on his resume.

"I'm a different coach from Andy Murray. I say that with all respect," he said. "I'm very passionate about what I do, I'm very inclusive in how I perform my duties as a head coach and most of all, I want players and people around me who work hard, who are creative.

"I expect a lot from my players, I'm very demanding."

Crawford promised the Kings will pressure both ends of the ice.

Center Craig Conroy described himself as "very impressed" with Crawford's resume.

"I saw what he did in Vancouver, how he kind of resurrected that whole team and the way the team responded, it's so positive," Conroy said. "It seems like he makes everybody on the team accountable, too, and that's what we really need here."

Crawford said the deciding factor in taking the job was the shared philosophy between him, Lombardi, team owner Phillip Anshutz and Tim Leiweke, who gave up his title as chief executive officer so Lombardi could have freer rein in running the team.

"I have a strong sense of commitment from Mr. Anshutz and Tim Leiweke and most of all from Dean that he was going to do things the right way," Crawford said. "We weren't going to put Band-Aids on problems."

Lombardi has met with the entire team in his first month on the job.

Asked his assessment of what went wrong last season, he said, "It was a series of molehills that were allowed to continue to brew and then finally it just collapsed."

Injuries contributed to the Kings' demise after they started the season strongly, then the infighting began.

"When things started to go south, there were arguments here, arguments there. Everyone is kind of pointing the finger," Conroy said. "That's what we (have) got to get away from. We just let it snowball and it got worse and we couldn't get out of it."

Crawford emphasizes building strong relationships with his players. While spending time last week with Lombardi, Crawford's phone rang with a call from Vancouver forward Todd Bertuzzi.

"I found that really impressive that he would take the time to call his coach," Lombardi said.

Bertuzzi is being sued in a Canadian civil court by former Colorado player Steve Moore, who was seriously injured after being punched by Bertuzzi in a 2004 game. Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assaulting Moore.

Crawford had dealt with the fallout from Bertuzzi's actions.

"You don't lose a job because of one thing that happened," he said. "Todd was very, very uncharacteristically saddled with that responsibility. It's not true."

The Kings have 11 players who are free agents, and Conroy said he feels a mix of optimism and nervousness about who will be around next season.

"You hope they don't overhaul the team completely," he said. "If you add a few players to our team, we're going to be right in the thick of things next year."
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 20,689.46
Good call on the sticky. Your posting of useful information knows no bounds. :D
Megalodon
Sand$: 4,621.68
panachevitz wrote:Good call on the sticky. Your posting of useful information knows no bounds. :D

And it is excellent post whoring. :D I know I do it too, just in the racing forum.

ImageImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Sabres defenseman Henrik Tallinder is out with a wrist injury sustained in game 3 of the Carolina series. More info when I find out more.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,484.00
panachevitz wrote:Sabres defenseman Henrik Tallinder is out with a wrist injury sustained in game 3 of the Carolina series. More info when I find out more.

That is gonna hurt if he misses any time. Our blue line is getting very very thin.

~~ Sharks in a Bottle ~~
*2006 Champion*
Great White Shark
panachevitz wrote:Sabres defenseman Henrik Tallinder is out with a wrist injury sustained in game 3 of the Carolina series. More info when I find out more.

update.............

Tallinder Out For Playoffs With Broken Arm
WGR Newsroom - Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:14 PM

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) Buffalo Sabres defenseman Henrik Tallinder left last night's game with his arm in a sling. This morning Head Coach Lindy Ruff has confirmed that Tallinder has broken his arm and will be out for the remainder of the playoffs.

This injury comes at a time where the Sabres blue line is already depleated with Dmitri Kalinan and Teppo Numminen already nursing injuries. Kalinan is out with a broken bone in his ankle and Numminen has a hip flexor which limits his ability to skate side to side.

Ruff said that Doug Janik, Nathan Paetsch and Jason Pominville are all possibilities for replacing Tallinder.

~~ Sharks in a Bottle ~~
*2006 Champion*
Supreme Megalodon
Well, if Carolina wants to hurt our players, I say dress Peters with the mission of destroying Staal, Stillman and Brind'amour.
Great White Shark
The latest from the HSBC..........................

Teppo Out, Janik In For Game 4
Dave Buchanan - Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Sabres coach, Lindy Ruff has ruled out Teppo Numminen for Game 4 of the Eastern Confrence Finals. Numminen is still nursing a hip injury, which limits his skating ability.

Ruff spoke with the media following the morning skate and said Doug Janik will play in place of Numminen and will be paired with Jeff Jillson. Janik played sparingly in Game 2, and was replaced by Jillson in Game 3.

Injury updates: Adam Mair could play, but Lindy Ruff is satisfied with his current forward lineup. Dimitri Kalinin is off crutches but is still wearing a protective boot on his injured foot. He probably won't return until the Stanley Cup Finals.

~~ Sharks in a Bottle ~~
*2006 Champion*
Supreme Megalodon
panachevitz wrote:Good call on the sticky. Your posting of useful information knows no bounds. :D
Supreme Megalodon
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Phoenix Coyotes re-signed goaltender Curtis Joseph to a one-year contract Friday, bringing the 39-year-old back for a 17th NHL season.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Last season was Joseph's first with the Coyotes. He has a 428-310-90 career record with St. Louis, Edmonton, Toronto, Detroit and Phoenix.

He played 60 games with Phoenix after signing as a free agent, posting a 32-21 record, 2.91 goals against average, a .902 save percentage with four shutouts. He also moved into sixth place on the career victories list.

"He continues to write new records while playing at his customary high level. More importantly, Curtis gives us a chance to win every night," general manager Michael Barnett said in a statement.
Supreme Megalodon
Gretzky's wife, assistant might sue New Jersey over wiretap leaks By BETH DEFALCO, Associated Press Writer

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- Wayne Gretzky's wife and a Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach might sue New Jersey for $50 million each, contending their reputations were damaged after state officials leaked information from wiretaps in a case involving a multimillion-dollar sports betting ring.

In two separate notices -- often a precursor to a lawsuit -- the attorneys named the New Jersey Department of Law and the State Police for allegedly leaking information to the media about recorded conversations. The notices were filed May 8.

Gretzky and his wife, Janet Jones, were linked to the ring allegedly run by Phoenix Coyotes assistant Rick Tocchet, a former NHL player and close friend of Gretzky, the Coyotes' head coach.

New Jersey authorities announced charges in February against Tocchet, a New Jersey state trooper and another New Jersey man for running a nationwide sports gambling operation. State police said wagers -- primarily on professional football -- exceeded $1.7 million during a five week investigation period leading to the Super Bowl.

Jones is alleged to have placed large bets through Tocchet. She has not been charged with any crime but is expected to be subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury investigating gambling activity, attorneys said.

Tocchet is on an indefinite leave from the Coyotes.

Tocchet's notice indicated that if a lawsuit is filed, he'll seek $50 million for the damage to his reputation, his current salary loss, the loss of future employment opportunities as a head coach of an NHL team and future endorsement opportunities.

His notice cites 10 news stories where some contents of recorded conversations were publicly reported. Tocchet's attorney, Kevin Marino, said his client and Jones have two years to file a lawsuit although they may ultimately choose not to sue.

A call to Jones' attorney by The Associated Press on Thursday was not immediately returned.

Jones's notice said she "suffered significant damage to her reputation and lost business opportunities."

In an interview with the AP on March 15, Attorney General Zulima Farber said authorities would convene a grand jury to hear evidence in the gambling case within months.

Farber's office had no comment Thursday on the notice and didn't respond to questions about when a grand jury would be called.
Supreme Megalodon
If you're a Red Wings fan awaiting Steve Yzerman's retirement decision, you might be waiting a little longer. General manager Ken Holland said Thursday that Yzerman still has not made a decision on whether to play one more season or retire. And, the decision isn't getting any easier.
-- Detroit News