Hockey Rumors & News.

Megalodon
Sand$: 43,860.22
panachevitz wrote:Blackhawks F Pat Kane has been arrested on assault and robbery charges in Buffalo stemming from a late night altercation where he and a friend punched and robbed the cab driver who had driven them home. The cab driver did not have the $0.20 change from the fare, at which point the two individuals punched the cabbie repeatedly and stole back the money they had paid him.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Kane will probably not be a good play in fantasy this year. Robbery and assault are not crimes that can be quietly swept under the rug. What a dumbass. :roll:

Cabbie's lawyer is saying this is getting overblown from what it really is.

Either way, not only do you not ask a cabbie for change... you tip the guy!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 20,689.46
und2006 wrote:
panachevitz wrote:Blackhawks F Pat Kane has been arrested on assault and robbery charges in Buffalo stemming from a late night altercation where he and a friend punched and robbed the cab driver who had driven them home. The cab driver did not have the $0.20 change from the fare, at which point the two individuals punched the cabbie repeatedly and stole back the money they had paid him.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Kane will probably not be a good play in fantasy this year. Robbery and assault are not crimes that can be quietly swept under the rug. What a dumbass. :roll:

Cabbie's lawyer is saying this is getting overblown from what it really is.

Either way, not only do you not ask a cabbie for change... you tip the guy!

Lawyer Paul Cambria is a pretty high profile guy. He represented Larry Flint at his trial and has done a few other celebrity clients. His arguments are moot regarding the cabbie's license (revoked) since the Kane boys threw punches. As much of a fan as I am of his, you can't go around assaulting citizens because you are a sports star. I would like to see him do some jail time for that just to take the piss out of him. And to send a clear message to the rest of the sporting world that crap like that will not be tolerated. Unfortunately I can see him walking. :(
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 20,689.46
Kane will take a plea deal and avoid any jail time. :roll:

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/766745.html

Kane case expected to end in plea deal
Cousins likely to avoid criminal charges in dispute with cab driver
By Gene Warner
News Staff Reporter
Updated: August 18, 2009, 8:00 AM / 0 comments

Hockey star Patrick Kane and his cousin are expected to avoid criminal charges in a plea deal being hammered out, after both men are expected to be indicted this week on misdemeanor criminal charges, law enforcement sources said Monday.

Those sources also said the most likely plea deal would involve the Kanes either pleading guilty to a violation — maybe harassment or disorderly conduct — or being granted an adjournment that could have the charges later dropped.

Neither of those scenarios likely would involve any jail time for the two cousins.

"I think everything is going to be wrapped up by the end of the week," one law enforcement source said. "All parties are working in that direction."

Patrick Kane, 20, the Chicago Blackhawks star and South Buffalo native, and his cousin, James M. Kane, 21, were arrested on felony charges early on the morning of Aug. 9. They were accused of attacking taxi driver Jan Radecki, 62, in his cab near Canisius College during a dispute over their cab fare.

Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III declined to comment on the possible outcome of the case. Sedita previously said that a county grand jury had completed its investigation Thursday. That decision is expected to be made public this Wednesday or Thursday.

"Once the grand jury has reported its findings to the court, we will treat this just like we would any other crime," Sedita said. "Mr. Kane will not receive any special treatment because he is a hockey player or celebrity. Nor will he receive any harsher treatment."

In a day filled with developments in the case, the taxi driver's attorney said his client wants a public apology, not a criminal record for the Kanes. Those comments came just hours after Kane issued a short apology about the incident.

"My client is looking for a direct public apology to him, not much more," said Andrew C. LoTempio, Radecki's attorney.

"He does not want [the Kanes] to have a criminal record," LoTempio said. "He does not want them to have any jail time. And he does not want to ruin Patrick Kane's career."

LoTempio wouldn't comment on the possible outcome in the case. Patrick Kane's attorney, Paul J. Cambria, couldn't be reached to comment.

Both Kanes face charges of second-degree robbery, a felony; criminal mischief, a misdemeanor; and theft of services, a violation.

Both sides have suggested previously that the elements of the case seemed to fall short of being a robbery.

If the grand jury comes back with misdemeanor charges, they could be for third-degree assault or criminal mischief.

Then both attorneys and Sedita would have to agree on any possible plea deal.

In cases like this, Sedita said, assuming the defendant has no criminal history, two of the most important factors in any plea deal are the feelings of the victim and the extent of the victim's injuries.

Radecki previously told the media that he suffered a broken nose and that his glasses were broken during the incident, which occurred at about 5 a.m. that day.

Law enforcement officials cited two likely outcomes for cases like this, involving misdemeanor charges against people with no criminal records.

One frequent plea deal involves a person admitting to a non-criminal violation, such as harassment or disorderly conduct.

The other involves an "adjournment in contemplation of dismissal," meaning that the case is dismissed, usually after six months, if the defendant gets into no further trouble.

Under such a deal, the Kanes could agree to a combination of an apology, community service and direct restitution for Radecki's expenses.

Either way, first-time offenders in such cases rarely, if ever, serve jail time.

Earlier Monday, Patrick Kane apologized to his family, the City of Buffalo, the Chicago Blackhawks and their fans during a very brief public statement.

Talking for just under one minute, Kane said he knows everyone wants to hear about what happened early on the morning of Aug. 9, but he said he could not discuss any specifics about the pending legal case.

"Because I've put myself ... in the wrong position in the wrong time, I've caused a lot of pain for my family, my hometown of Buffalo, the City of Chicago, the Chicago Blackhawks and obviously the great fans we have here in Chicago," he said. "And for that part, I sincerely apologize. Now it's time for me to move forward."

The young superstar opened his statement by saying he knows he has been very lucky to achieve every kid's dream of playing in the National Hockey League.

Kane made his remarks at the beginning of a news conference held in conjunction with U.S. Olympic Hockey's orientation camp being held just outside Chicago.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 63,882.52
NHL fines Maple Leafs for tampering

NEW YORK (AP)—The NHL fined the Toronto Maple Leafs an undisclosed amount after ruling that coach Ron Wilson was guilty of tampering when he expressed interest in Vancouver Canucks forwards Henrik and Daniel Sedin(notes) before they reached free agency.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly announced the penalty Wednesday in a news release. Wilson made reference to the Canucks twins during an interview when they were still under contract with the Canucks. Both players reached new deals to stay with Vancouver.

A separate charge by the Canucks against the Maple Leafs was dismissed by the NHL.

Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis was upset after a recent Leafs TV segment showed Toronto GM Brian Burke talking about a rumored Vancouver-Tampa Bay trade. Burke said Alex Burrows(notes) and Kevin Bieksa(notes) could be heading to the Lightning, but the deal never happened.

Calling those actions “unfortunate and inappropriate,” Daly said that didn’t constitute a tampering offense under league rules. He warned the Leafs against doing something similar in the future.

The NHL hopes this will end a story that gained momentum after Gillis discussed it on a Vancouver radio station earlier this week.

“Both (teams) have been instructed to refrain from further public comment of any kind relating to these matters.” Daly said in the statement. “From the league’s perspective, this matter is closed. We will make no further comment.”
Supreme Megalodon
The Vinny Lecavalier trade rumors seemingly never end, and the latest one fittingly included the Rangers, whom the Lightning plays tonight at Madison Square Garden. The Ottawa Sun reported Sunday that Rangers GM Glen Sather contacted Tampa Bay GM Brian Lawton in an effort to spark trade talks for Lecavalier. That report, according to Lawton, is "completely false." Lawton said Monday that he hasn't even spoken to Sather in weeks. "He hasn't contacted me to inquire about that," Lawton said. "That absolutely did not happen."

St. Petersburg Times
Supreme Megalodon
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren believes that the simmering feud between team captain Mike Richards and the local media that boiled over on Sunday will dissipate in time. Various sources reported Sunday that following the Flyers' loss to the Capitals, Richards got into a heated exchange with reporters outside the team's locker room and let them know that he was unhappy of the way that the Flyers were being covered in the press.

TSN
Supreme Megalodon
Is the difference between Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby's play this year their mental game? As for Malkin's attitude toward his sub-par play in recent weeks, anyone outside the organization who claims to understand his thought process is being disingenuous. He hardly is an open book to outsiders, even when he is at his most productive and outgoing. Whether a factor outside of the NHL, be it the Olympics or something of a personal nature, have had an impact on Malkin's play isn't known, but there really is no reason to question his mental toughness.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Supreme Megalodon
Pistons planning to make trades

There's about a month to go before the NBA trading deadline and it is looking like the Detroit Pistons will look like a different team after the deadline than they do now, according to the Associated Press. Pistons' president of basketball operations Joe Dumars ripped apart his team when he figured out it wouldn't be an Eastern Conference powerhouse so you can be sure he won't be afraid to make a deal now that his team is down in the dumps.

"We will not be averse to being active before the trading deadline,'' Dumars told the AP. "But we're definitely not going to be active just to be active. At this stage, it has to make sense for us going forward. We're not looking for a short-term fix.''

It would take a lot to even have a short-term fix for the Pistons who will likely try to find a point guard a low-post player that is up on the trading block.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 32,625.06
^ oops!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 312,342.09
just saw that ozzy announced his retirement today...

Image Image

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 127,925.00
Dallas Stars started out pretty hot, but have cooled of late. Kick it back in gear guys! :x

2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2016 In Your Face $ League Champion
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
Blue Shark
Sand$: 383.44
Hal Gill will likely go on the trade market soon, and the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch writes that the Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers and Ottawa Senators are all interested.

But Garrioch adds: "Don't be surprised if Pittsburgh brings back Gill; the Penguins never wanted to lose him to free agency weeks after he helped them win the Cup in 2009."

- Alvin Chang

This from ESPN NHL Rumors site

You're allowed to sweat, bleed, cry, and even loose bodily functions...but you are NEVER ALLOWED TO QUIT!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 312,342.09
kinda looking forward to then game tomorrow.... of course it will be like 15-12 but that's what makes it fun!

Image Image

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 127,925.00
Dallas Stars back in the playoffs after about 5 year drought! =D>

:Drink)

2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2016 In Your Face $ League Champion
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
Mako Shark
Sand$: 933.38
The Hockey News released its list of four bold predictions for the NHL in 2016. Topping the list is a mega deal that involves the Red Wings and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Ken Campbell writes that the Wings will make a move for star center Steven Stamkos in a deadline deal.

“Steven Stamkos will sign an eight-year contract extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning matching dollar-for-dollar the $84 million deals signed by Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews…then immediately be traded to the Detroit Red Wings along with Jonathan Drouin just before the trade deadline.”

The price for Stamkos and Drouin will be steep – sniper Gustav Nyquist, a pair of 24-year-old pending restricted free agents in Riley Sheahan and Alexey Marchenko, along with top prospect Anthony Mantha and the Red Wings first-round pick in 2016 and 2017. Stamkos will immediately go back to his center position, moving the aging Pavel Datsyuk down to a checking role more suited to him on the third line.”

As a Red Wing fan, I'm not sure what to think about this. In a vacuum, bringing in Stamkos obviously sounds great, no problem with the 8 years / $84 million deal. but I don't like the idea of dealing that much away. That's a lot of youth and the Red Wings have a great history of recognizing and developing young talent. Nyquist has already proven to be a fantastic goal scorer.

Normally I'd probably chalk this up to just filling print space with speculation but considering Stevie Yzerman is Tampa's GM, I could see how this could get worked out. We'll see I guess..

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/01/07/the-hockey-news-predicts-red-wings-will-orchestrate-blockbuster-trade-for-steven-stamkos/