2013 Mako 4

Leopard Shark
Sand$: 283.86
Hey guys:
A quick question for those vets of shark leagues. I know that the last two teams get relegated to a lower shark league. Is this based on our record as it stands now, or is it based once playoffs are done? If I remember correctly, those of us in the playoffs still play, but not really for anything.

Mark

Mako Shark League 4. Word!
Tiger Shark
Sand$: 540.60
markboud wrote:Hey guys:
A quick question for those vets of shark leagues. I know that the last two teams get relegated to a lower shark league. Is this based on our record as it stands now, or is it based once playoffs are done? If I remember correctly, those of us in the playoffs still play, but not really for anything.

Mark

I'm not a big time vet, but.....
From the rules (I put in the caps and the underline):
"Where applicable, to determine the top two and bottom FOUR teams to move up and down the ladder:

1) The teams that descend will be the bottom four non-playoff teams in each league determined by worst winning percentage and then lowest total points. Ties after that will be broken by head-to-head winning percentage. After that, ties will be broken by a coin flip.

2) There will be two teams that ascend from every league. The League Champion, and the team with the highest regular season total points through 13 weeks. Please note that the total points winner does not have to make the playoffs to advance. Should there be a tie for that spot, first overall winning percentage, and then head-to-head winning percentage will be followed, and after that will be a coin flip. In the case where the League Champion is also the league total points winner, the runner up in the championship game will move up."

So Broad St Bullies who came on like gang-busters to beat me out of the points lead in Week 13 (grats on a GREAT JOB), is one team that will go up a level.
The other team to go up will be the team that takes the Championship by winning the playoffs, which start this week and run through Week 16.
Hope that helps clear up any question you might have.
It can be confusing, to say the least but I feel it is a fair way to do it.
Here is a link to the rules, if you need it:
http://www.fantasysharks.com/artman2/publish/Permanent/Shark_League_Rules.htm
By the way, I think you have a GREAT team name.
Last edited by Old Guy on Thu 12.05.2013, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Shark
Cyguy84 wrote:I have no idea why I shot to 1st in Weeks 5 and 9 but couldn't even compete in between.

Yeah.
For What It's Worth, I've learned that the guys that you put in for guys that are on a bye, can make or break you.
Good luck next year.
Megalodon
Sand$: 63,833.76
Looks like Hector's Pups, Cyguy84, 3 Legged Llama and Fishfry (in that order) will be demoted.

I'll note that in the past sometimes teams slated to be demoted aren't-- if enough owners don't come back, some of us might survive in Mako.

My team poop the bed, so I'm expecting to have to win next year to move back up. Grr, I've been in Mako for years.
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 283.86
Thanks for clarifying things guys. I thought it was just two that moved down, since two moved up.

Thanks for liking my team name. There is a great story behind it. There was this morbidly obese woman I worked with(I'm a teacher) who was close to 6ft tall and weighed close to 400. She had a lot of facial warts and teeth like a horse. My friend, a history teacher, said, "You just want to cuddle with her" to which I responded, "I'd rather have sex with a three legged llama named Pete." That's how I got my name. Yes, and I teach your children...

-Mark

Mako Shark League 4. Word!
Megalodon
markboud wrote:Thanks for clarifying things guys. I thought it was just two that moved down, since two moved up.

Thanks for liking my team name. There is a great story behind it. There was this morbidly obese woman I worked with(I'm a teacher) who was close to 6ft tall and weighed close to 400. She had a lot of facial warts and teeth like a horse. My friend, a history teacher, said, "You just want to cuddle with her" to which I responded, "I'd rather have sex with a three legged llama named Pete." That's how I got my name. Yes, and I teach your children...

-Mark

It is a pyramid, so there are 8 Mako leagues, but only 4 Hammerhead (or whatever is above us). Similarly, there are 16 Blue Shark leagues below us. So 16*2 = 32 being promoted to Mako, meaning we need to demote 4 (8*4=32).

The tricky part comes when owners don't reply to invitations or opt out of continuing in the Shark League next year. I think the protocol is to send invitations for the promoted/demoted leagues, and then fill in the higher leagues top down.

For example: As my team is going to be demoted, I will get an invitation for a Blue Shark league. However, if any of the promoted Mako Shark owners, demoted Whale shark owners or existing Hammerhead shark owners don't accept invitations, there will be additional openings in Hammerhead. Therefore, the commish will promote Mako owners to fill the gaps. Mako will then have openings from these promoted owners and any non-returning teams (The Mako owners promoted to fill openings in Hammerhead, along with promoted Blue shark owners, demoted Hammerhead owners and existing Mako owners who don't accept the invitations).

Some Blue owners will be promoted to fill the holes in Mako, and I might get a second invitation (after accepting the first invitation to Blue Shark league) to a Mako league.

In the past, I believe Pat liked to "retain" owners in Mako over promoting them from Blue (as in, he would give priority to promoting former Mako owners rather than promote Blue Shark owners who performed well). I have no idea what system is in place now, however, and as the 2nd worst team, I'm not expecting to get that second invitation.

Tough because the entire league was solid.
Tiger Shark
Cyguy84 wrote:
markboud wrote:Thanks for clarifying things guys. I thought it was just two that moved down, since two moved up.

-Mark

It is a pyramid, so there are 8 Mako leagues, but only 4 Hammerhead (or whatever is above us). Similarly, there are 16 Blue Shark leagues below us. So 16*2 = 32 being promoted to Mako, meaning we need to demote 4 (8*4=32).

The tricky part comes when owners don't reply to invitations or opt out of continuing in the Shark League next year. I think the protocol is to send invitations for the promoted/demoted leagues, and then fill in the higher leagues top down.

For example: As my team is going to be demoted, I will get an invitation for a Blue Shark league. However, if any of the promoted Mako Shark owners, demoted Whale shark owners or existing Hammerhead shark owners don't accept invitations, there will be additional openings in Hammerhead. Therefore, the commish will promote Mako owners to fill the gaps. Mako will then have openings from these promoted owners and any non-returning teams (The Mako owners promoted to fill openings in Hammerhead, along with promoted Blue shark owners, demoted Hammerhead owners and existing Mako owners who don't accept the invitations).

Some Blue owners will be promoted to fill the holes in Mako, and I might get a second invitation (after accepting the first invitation to Blue Shark league) to a Mako league.

In the past, I believe Pat liked to "retain" owners in Mako over promoting them from Blue (as in, he would give priority to promoting former Mako owners rather than promote Blue Shark owners who performed well). I have no idea what system is in place now, however, and as the 2nd worst team, I'm not expecting to get that second invitation.

Tough because the entire league was solid.

Great explanation. Well written. :thumbright:
Tiger Shark

-Mark

That is the best story I've ever heard about how a team got it's name!
Your description fits a 4th grade teacher I had to a "T" . Scary for a 4th grader, to say the least.
Sounds to me like the kids are in very good hands.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,091.00
Cyguy84 wrote:
Old Guy wrote:
davie36k wrote:apparently there is now...

Hector pups
Cyguy

I like that Cyguy is active with putting in pre-draft lists.

Yeah, I didn't mean to get auto-drafted, the draft was the weekend before my wedding so I was super busy and didn't check in, so I got put on auto-draft. From that point on it was almost a relief, I could just enter predraft rounds ahead and not worry about it.

Unfortunately, my season didn't play out well as a result. I can't blame the ADP rank (made me take Mike Wallace at 5.08, Green-Ellis at 8.05) so much as my failed strategy-- I thought that if I went RB in the 1st, I would be guaranteed a RB1 and could ignore the position until later. Too bad I drafted Ray Rice (instead of McCoy, dammit!) and when I meant to go back to RB in the 5th, I timed out and got Wallace.

I did like Jimmy Graham in the 2nd, and Andre Johnson/Decker are solid WR's, and Rivers made up for my Brady mistake... but my team is somehow 2nd to last and tied for 2nd fewest points, so I will probably get demoted.

Ironically, I made the playoffs in 6 of my 7 dynasty leagues (and the one I missed was a rebuilding team so I am grateful), but I'm not great at redraft leagues. I'm in 5 redraft and failed miserably in 2 of them, missed the playoffs (despite #2 in points) in a third and made the playoffs in two (#1 seed out of 40 in a money league, which is awesome). I hope to stay in Mako next year, but I've given up any hope of being promoted.

Btw, I wish I had checked in to this forum earlier. I always forget to find the league thread but am active during the season once I do find it.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It was your wedding weekend. Good lord, it happens. Because of the no trade rule, the draft can kill you even if you are not distracted. I am just happy that I ended up with a decent record after losing julio jones and arian foster. I tanked in a blue shark league which I will be demoted in because I had a very bad draft and could not overcome it. Everyone has bad seasons. Redrafts can be hard. Just saying

Congrats on everyone who made the playoffs
Whale Shark
Sand$: 3,569.54
Congrats Old Guy! I was hoping to move up, but looks like it wasn't in the cards this year.

Good luck next season to you and Broad Street Bullies in your Whale league.
Tiger Shark
kuhnmd1528 wrote:Congrats Old Guy! I was hoping to move up, but looks like it wasn't in the cards this year.

Thank you very much.
If it wasn't for Shady scoring 36 points, it would have been the other way around.
WOW-Hammerhead.
It took a while for me to get this far. I had got past Tiger but missed my next year's invite due to an email address change.
So I had to start all over from the bottom cause that was all that was open by the time I figured I missed the invite and after climbing back up, I got stuck in Blue for a couple of years.
Anyway, I really never expected to make it this far back when I first started out.
I've met a bunch of good folks along the way and thankfully only a couple of a**holes.
For the most part, everyone around The Tank is pretty cool.
I'll do my best to remember where I came from and to try to make the guys in the 2013 Mako Shark League 4 proud.
This year was plenty tough. Can't imagine what next year is gonna bring!
I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,214.06
kuhnmd1528 wrote:Congrats Old Guy! I was hoping to move up, but looks like it wasn't in the cards this year.

X2

:thumbright:
Megalodon
Congrats everyone, hope to see you again but I'll probably be demoted. Maybe in a year?
Tiger Shark
Thanks, guys.
I'm sure we will meet again.
Later