GBP ILBs

Megalodon
Sand$: 20,204.72
Thought I'd kick this off as this'll be an ongoing thing for the next month or so and it's snuck into a cple of other threads, but there could be some cost effective die rolls out there depending on what shakes out.

The runners & riders:

Clay Matthews
    Sam Barrington
    Jake Ryan
    Blake Martinez
    Joe Thomas

5 guys, 2 spots ...

What we know:

They want to move Clay back outside, fulltime. Or so they say.
    Ryan did v.well last year - vs the run. Vs the pass? Fail
    GBP will start you no matter how they get you on their roster.
    The other rule of thumb under TT (aside from 99% no FA activity) is they won't rush you into service most fo the time either.
    There is no proven ILB pairing in GB yet

Barrington & JT are dinged up and losing reps. Ryan & Martinez have been soaking it up. Martinez is advertised in coverage and was already taking dime reps - which is the new base for most teams anyway these past few yrs.

Will point out some things in Ryan's defense that are getting overlooked:

#1) Oft overlooked but he wasnt an ILB in college, he was an OLB and spot DE for all but one season (his final year), so the struggles in pass coverage in the step up to the pros - as a rookie could be absolutely normal. Might not be. VERY early to call it either way atm.

#2) In everything else (play calling & vs the run) he was nails.

2nd highest run stop %age amongst rookie LBs (12.1% of tackles was a stuff)
    3rd highest grading for missed tackle %age amongst rookie LBs (only 1 missed tackle every 18.5 rushing attempts)
    QB passer completion vs him? 135%

He mayve played well, but they don't like errors on D (odd for a team that paid Hawk what they paid him :lol: )and he made a few, which is why he got pulled after the CAR breakout & why they didn't use him sparingly even then. He took it on board in practices - according to Capers & MicMac - and they rewarded him w/the PT down the stretch.

#3) Hes been GBPs 3rd most productive rookie linebacker since Ted Thompson took over as GM - the other 2 were 1st round picks (Clay & Hawk), which lends as much credence to the fact GBP traditionally hold their players back till theyre confident in them as any other narrative (Ryan's da shizzle, for example [-X .Hes not, not yet at any rate)

I'm interested in Martinez - if the price is right, and its rising atm to a point id be more comfortable w/other guys. He's got a shot at relevancy yr1, but - based on how GBP do things - he's also got a legit shot at being involved in a NYG style messy committee with either Ryan or Barrington (or worse if they keep some of the Matthews inside packages).

I don't think JT profiles as a starter, but its pretty hard to read much into it based on sample size - or lack thereof :D - but he's a guy they've said they like. Something they've said of ALL 4 guys :F

Barrington could end up being the most cost-effective shot in the dark of the 3. Wide open if Barrington & JT get healthy before TC.

Nick Barnett seems like such a long time ago now :(

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,741.92
It's AWFULLY early, so this all comes with grains of salt galore.

If I had to rank them today...

1.) Barrington -- assuming he gets right I expect he'll start. Good enough in coverage to have puncher's shot at sub role.
2.) Martinez -- Like what I hear, tape's decent, and he may be the best bet of the bunch to play in subs.
3.) Ryan -- Kid's tough as nails, but I just don't see him getting so much better in coverage that he'll stay on the field in subs. Which aren't even really subs anymore given how much time many teams spend in the .05.

That said, unless things clear up a LOT and/or it's a LATE dart throw in deeper leagues the best advice I could offer here is just stay away altogether. Capers has demonstrated pretty clearly the last few years that he isn't afraid to tinker at ILB as the season wears on, and none of these guys have established themselves to a point where any have significant rope. One week's treasure could easily be the next's trash. I do believe they want to kick Matthews back outside. Whether that will actually take or not we may not know until well into TC.

Follow IDPSharks on Twitter!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 44,802.62
barrington is on my speed dial list heading into the preseason in both HoP and HoB.

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Megalodon

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Sand$: 110,854.52
Blake! \:D/
Sand$: 110,854.52
Griffimo wrote:
OarChambo wrote:Blake! \:D/

Blake and Jake in the middle, right?

It's Blake in the dime. Just need to hope he doesn't get rotated out much/at all on obvious run downs.
Megalodon
Barrington & Bradford were both cut.

JTs now the backup to both.

Martinez has the most upside out of anyone, but its him thats been competing for his role in the defense this offseason, not Ryan.

The question now that Martinez has the nod, is will Ryan, the former converted edge rusher, Nagurski, Butkus, Lombardi, Bednarik & Lott watchlist (Ryan) player have learned enough about coverage as he has about playing the run this past season.

A someone thats only played inside for 2 seasons (1 college, 1 pro), hes going to have to prove hes kept learning as he heads into his sophomore season.

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Just on a related note: KCC have claimed Barrington off waivers. They have a bit of a mess next to DJ, he could be an upgrade of Mauga, even if they like the marching jay.

Ramik Wilson waived in the corresponding move.

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Packers coach Mike McCarthy confirmed Clay Matthews will continue to play outside linebacker.

- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,741.92
Chiefs played a lot of 3-3-5 in the dress rehearsal.

At this point Martinez is the only one of the bunch I'd have any real interest in -- Barrington included. Burnett sliding into a .05 LB role could goose his value a bit though. Similar thing's happening in Denver with TJ Ward.

Follow IDPSharks on Twitter!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 29,084.48
I think the only unanswered question about Blake Martinez is whether the Packers defensive line can occupy blockers to free Martinez up to rack up tackles
Megalodon
Ryan: 6 solos, 1 assist, 1 PD (60%)
Martinez: 5 solos, 1 assist (65)
Thomas: 2 solos, 1 INT (35%)

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon

- Douglas Adams
Blue Shark
Sand$: 810.37
My money's on Jake the Snake Ryan.