Blue Shark
Sand$: 768.01
I've got a slew of DBs that I'm picking through, in a deep dynasty league. I'm sort of grasping at straws, not having a solid grip on the position. So, if you could, please give me some feedback on these DBs:

Reshad Jones
Jabrill Peppers
Harrison Smith
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Malik Hooker
Marcus Williams
Josh Jones

Who do you like short term (this season) and long term?

Megalodon
Sand$: 20,067.06
FortyofForty wrote:I've got a slew of DBs that I'm picking through, in a deep dynasty league. I'm sort of grasping at straws, not having a solid grip on the position. So, if you could, please give me some feedback on these DBs:

Reshad Jones
Jabrill Peppers
Harrison Smith
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Malik Hooker
Marcus Williams
Josh Jones

Who do you like short term (this season) and long term?

The "Free safeties".

These are the cats who usually play the furthest away from the action and are more likely to get the INT, and less likely to get the Tkls. Usually.

Dix & Williams should pay dividends in teams that rewards splash plays, less so as you move towards tkl heavier side of things. GBP and NOS are well known for putting a lot of DBs on the field for the majority of their defensive snaps, so whilst Dix & Williams are more FS's than SS's, theyre two of the better ones.

I love that Hooker had that amazing year in college, i hate that he had that amazing year in college. Note to CFB guys looking to declare, make your final year the "lights out" season. Ppl have short memories, play to it. Im not a huge fan, i prefer to see more in the way of a portfolio, but there's no denying he flashed a ton last year, so on this i could easily be way off.

Harrison Smith will be steady, but unspectacular & wont produce like he did earlier in his career. there are worse options, but there are likely as many better ones.

"Non Free"

Reshad Jones should be good value - if only for the short term - now that hes fit. The injury to Raekwon helps his value - unless they move Kiko inside, but hes better at Will and whatever they do, he'll produce. Splitting hairs over what/ if any bump he might get because of the LB situation? Those are the problems you like to have in FF.

Josh Jones is risky and could get the Barron/Bucanon treatment (moved to LB) at any point in the not-too-distant future or might never. Hard to say, but hes def worth an add the way Dom uses his safeties. Could be snap/ package limited this year, but hes a very definite stash and whilst id like to own stock, hes being jumped on a lot, which makes him a tradeable commodity as well as potential starter.

I like Peppers a fair old bit & have quite literally no idea why the draft community got their collective knickers in a knot about him pre-draft. Hes a safety. Hes a playmaker. HWBF. More importantly he plays on a team that figures to be on the field a far bit on D (Buffalo says "Hi, race ya?")

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Blue Shark
Thanks, jamcutpost. I took over an existing dynasty team, and am giving it a go.

Are there any of the bunch that stand out as "plug & play" guys? I'm thinking maybe there are two that you would start week in and week out, unless on bye or injured? Right now I'm plugging in Peppers and R. Jones. I have Smith as my flex because my LB options are sorry. Thanks for your detailed analysis. I have much to learn about IDP, and haven't played in that deep end of the pool in many years.

BTW, it's 1 point assisted tackle, 2 points solo, 7 points interception, 5 sack, and 4 forced fumble. Don't know if that's relatively standard, though. In that scoring system, are the Free Safeties better or the Strong Safeties?

Megalodon
FortyofForty wrote:Thanks, jamcutpost. I took over an existing dynasty team, and am giving it a go.

Are there any of the bunch that stand out as "plug & play" guys? I'm thinking maybe there are two that you would start week in and week out, unless on bye or injured? Right now I'm plugging in Peppers and R. Jones. I have Smith as my flex because my LB options are sorry. Thanks for your detailed analysis. I have much to learn about IDP, and haven't played in that deep end of the pool in many years.

BTW, it's 1 point assisted tackle, 2 points solo, 7 points interception, 5 sack, and 4 forced fumble. Don't know if that's relatively standard, though. In that scoring system, are the Free Safeties better or the Strong Safeties?

Any chance of a link to the league? Id like a look at the waiver if poss, theres been a lot of churn at the safety position this offseason and there might be a cpl gems hidden in there ... :thumbright:

And dont worry, ive taken over some real basket cases when it comes to inherited/ orphan dyna teams. Its usually not pretty righ? :D .

Scoring wise, your commissioner has definitely made IDP worthwhile.

To help you get some context ref: Free vs Strong or Corners using that scoring (7pts for an INT), a good number of INTs for a DB on a season is 4-5 or more.

Usually the more of a ballhawk the player is, the less likely a QB/OC is going to want to look that way. So using INTs alone thats 35+FPts per season.

Or about 16 solo tkls - which is doable across 3-4 games by most tier 1 strong safeties (scheme allowing. 2 if you were Landon Collins)

FS are a bit like "Edge" players (Harrison, Hali etc) & deep threat WRs (Snead, Torrey etc) in that when they score they could score big, but they also run the risk of leaving a crater on your box score too - if the game narrative runs a certain way.

If you can nail how the game is going to go, and know the other team will be forced to throw deep/ into coverage as they abandon the run and play catchup football? Streaming frees can be viable, if a little risky (as you still need the splash play to happen, all we've done so far is identify the opportunity of it happening increasing)

Conversely, if you think the game will be closer, more a one score affair, then you will nearly always want the traditional/ classic "in-the-box" strong safety who plays much closer to the action on many more plays (as many of last years INT leaders were "strongs", they also get opps thanks to shorter passes in the slot and down the seams).

Cliff notes: 9 times out of 10, youd probably prefer to just plug in the SS and forget about it. FS's are totally worth it, but they require a bit more finesse.

Id agree with you, Jones is a lock - until further notice. Peppers? Id start him week 1 and see how it looks and how they use him

Id be looking at matchups for Dix & Smith - if they play any teams with suspect QB play, run-game or defenses (so theyll need to throw more than the avg team) then id consider plugging them in for Peppers, depending.

Jones, Williams & Hooker are good, young prospects to sit on/ stash & see how they go.

As we're in dynasty mode? Dont be overly afraid about sacrificing any of them if you need to. This year was as good a year for safeties as weve had in a long time, but like most things you wait a long time for, theres another one coming along right behind it: Derwin James, Jordan Whitehead, Armani Watts, Marcus Allen, Ronnie Harrison, Quin Blanding, Minkah Fitzpatrick, the guy at Utah whose name eludes me atm (EDIT: Chase Hansen!) etc etc to name but a few.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Thanks for the link - im glad i asked. Youve got some starting SS's on there (some more than others), as well as cple solid vets & some young upside :thumbright:

Definitely in no particular order:

Keith Tandy, TBB
Jahleel Addae, LAC
Tavon Wilson, DET
Tyvon Branch, ARI
Quintin Demps, CHI
Vonn Bell, NOS
Micah Hyde, BUF
Lamarcus Joyner, LAR
Jeff Heath, DAL
Budda Baker (R), ARI
Obi Melinfonwu (R), OAK

Theres a few players there that really should be owned and will depend entirely on how you see your roster.

Where do you think youre at? Bottom feeding, Surviving, Postseason Push or contender. Dont ask me, its your team & your season!

Who id recommend off the list (and who id suggest dropping for them) would almost certainly depend on how you see your season going :)

- Douglas Adams
Blue Shark
I don't think I will be contending this season, so I concentrated on adding youth and players with long-term upside. I went "rookie heavy" with my selections, and chose some young guys playing behind some aging veterans who might be slotted to take the reins once the vet retires or moves on. So, thanks to you I know to concentrate on SS rather than FS. That gives me a good starting point.

Megalodon
If youre not planning on contending?

Just some suggestions for your consideration :thumbright:

Reshad Jones - TRADE for better roster balance if not competing this year/ have holes elsewhere. Maybe an RB2? If not HWBF next year. No need to sell short.
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Good player, FS tho, can be volatile. Consider another Safety at Strong - not banging the table tho. Your call.
    Harrison Smith - CUT for a better DB (Hyde, Heath or Bell). Def banging the table here :)
    Jabrill Peppers

Malik Hooker
    Marcus Williams
    Josh Jones

ATM its a start: 2xDL, 2xLB, 2xDB and flex, but youre carrying 2xDL, 1xLB & 5xDB. Thats too heavy.

I understand why youve done it and some of those young DBs in red have definite splash play potential, but this year? Not so much. Jones i love, but the hype is silly. Theyre converting him to an LB type safety, true, but that might mean either the Barron/Buccanon position change to LB or rotational/package snaps anyway in the immediate future.

Pretty sure by midseason they wont be there as other priorities rack up, why wait to steal a march on the waiver?

Your starting LBs are ... "Ok" (Goodson, Zach Brown, Trevathan & Shaq Thompson) but dont have much potential to swing games. Or cover many injs or byes.

Checked your WW, theres a ton of LB gems on it. Toomers gone, but Duke Riley, Ramon Humber, Marquel Lee, Nick Vigil (& as the Trevathan owner, not essential, but you need to keep an eye on) Kwiatkoski all there. Id look for more, but man, i hate Fleas searchability functions ...

But of those 3 young DBs in red, id easily drop 2 for any 2 of those LBs ^^ mentioned above.

Your DL incidentally are "such stuff as dreams are made". S'right. Worthy of Shakespeare himself. Damned impressive, sir & Bravo =D> =D>

- Douglas Adams
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 273.14
I like both of the jones and peppers, who is also supposed to be handling primary kickoff duties and possibly punt return for those leagues that count special team yardage and/or TDs.