Should Clowney sit 2013?

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,148.64
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/10/3846688/gamecocks-jadeveon-clowney-should.html

The basic gist is he is probably pro ready, but hes being denied the chance to do so. So should he sit out, get an agent and start getting some pro style coaching or should he return.

Ive no vested interest, and would be surprised if he did that - but just more grist for the mill that these kids should at least get paid something.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 19,632.56
boy that'd really piss P-Dubs off.

he can't sit until he destroys stupid uga again.
Supreme Megalodon
Blzbba wrote:boy that'd really piss P-Dubs off.

he can't sit until he destroys stupid uga again.

The thought had crossed my mind :P

But, hes a potential 1.01 pick ... Luck went back and it seemed to work out for him. Argument could be made that his position is less physical than Clowneys though and the risk a little higher.

I dont think he should sit, but you know what? I wouldnt blame him for it.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Just fwiw:

Roto wrote:After some suggested he should sit out the 2013 season to limit health risks, South Carolina sophomore DE Jadeveon Clowney is attempting to purchase insurance for his junior year.
"'A member of Clowney’s camp' inquired with his company about obtaining a policy worth as much as $5 million in case of a catastrophic injury that prematurely ends his playing career in 2013," according to Alex Marvez of Fox Sports.

Some QBs facing the GC's this year should consider consider getting some of that, too :)

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,041.82
1.) You're referencing are article from one of the worst and most imbecilic writers I've ever seen. His recent column was "My Pretend Interview with Jerry Richardson and what I imagine he'd say" might be his career highlight.

2.) The concept itself it stupid. You don't get better sitting around or just working out. If you did, holdout guys wouldn't come in a step behind.

3.) Odds of an injury aren't as high as positions such as RB and WR, but lazy journalists just go "but but but Lattimore!!!"

It's a dumbazz idea. And I would have said the same thing if it was Jarvis Jones we were talking about 8 months ago. Or Luck 2 years ago.

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
Supreme Megalodon
pwbowen wrote:1.) You're referencing are article from one of the worst and most imbecilic writers I've ever seen. His recent column was "My Pretend Interview with Jerry Richardson and what I imagine he'd say" might be his career highlight.

2.) The concept itself it stupid. You don't get better sitting around or just working out. If you did, holdout guys wouldn't come in a step behind.

3.) Odds of an injury aren't as high as positions such as RB and WR, but lazy journalists just go "but but but Lattimore!!!"

It's a dumbazz idea. And I would have said the same thing if it was Jarvis Jones we were talking about 8 months ago. Or Luck 2 years ago.

1.) Ive no idea tbh. But i believe you :thumbright: It was just the first article that popped up. There are other articles by other writers. Its the point rather than their skill i was after :)

2.) Stupid, yes. If he stays healthy. Any injury and the converse becomes true.

Personally i think a better option which hasnt been looked at would be to go to the CFL for a year as a bridge: Hed be insured, hed be getting paid and hed be getting a little more experience than he would in college ball.

3.) Yup RB > All injury wise. The comparison might be lazy (tho it wont be for Clowney), the risk exaggerated, but heres the thing - In terms of risk:reward playing next year nets him what? Not alot.

I agree, sitting/ pro training wouldnt net him alot, either :)

The insurance thing is great, but all he'll get is a $5mill settlement (The max allowed under NCAA regs) if things go awry. There is also no loss of earnings provision in NCAA insurance. A potential loss then of (a minimum) $6-7million Vs playing for free and not improving his draft stock..

I dont think comparing him to Luck is anymore useful than comparing him to Leinart or Lattimore, and you werent wholly supportive of Luck returning either iirc ;)

Comparing Jones to Clowney is "apples & oranges" for me, though. Clowney's problem is age not. Jones going back proved that his 2011 (post-redshirt in 2010 and post injury in 2009) wasnt a one year thing and he has durability. It increased his stock. Clowney's stock wont increase by playing another year.

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:
pwbowen wrote:1.) You're referencing are article from one of the worst and most imbecilic writers I've ever seen. His recent column was "My Pretend Interview with Jerry Richardson and what I imagine he'd say" might be his career highlight.

1.) Ive no idea tbh. But i believe you :thumbright: It was just the first article that popped up. There are other articles by other writers. Its the point rather than their skill i was after :)

Personally i think a better option which hasnt been looked at would be to go to the CFL for a year as a bridge: Hed be insured, hed be getting paid and hed be getting a little more experience than he would in college ball.

3.) Yup RB > All injury wise. The comparison might be lazy (tho it wont be for Clowney), the risk exaggerated, but heres the thing - In terms of risk:reward playing next year nets him what? Not alot.

The insurance thing is great, but all he'll get is a $5mill settlement (The max allowed under NCAA regs) if things go awry. There is also no loss of earnings provision in NCAA insurance. A potential loss then of (a minimum) $6-7million Vs playing for free and not improving his draft stock..

I dont think comparing him to Luck is anymore useful than comparing him to Leinart or Lattimore, and you werent wholly supportive of Luck returning either iirc ;)

Comparing Jones to Clowney is "apples & oranges" for me, though. Clowney's problem is age not. Jones going back proved that his 2011 (post-redshirt in 2010 and post injury in 2009) wasnt a one year thing and he has durability. It increased his stock. Clowney's stock wont increase by playing another year.

#2 You are incorrect. Spinal injury or head trauma, yes. But let's say he blows out a knee, he's probably still a 1st round pick. So an injury wouldn't be catastrophic as the empty heads are blathering.

CFL money? I know the exchange rate is good that way but it's not like CFL money would go very far anyway. That insurance that you snicker at is probably a great deal more than CFL.

I didn't clamor for Luck to go pro based on injury scare, just the fact that he was completely ready for the NFL.

All the slurping of Clowney aside, another year against SEC competition will do him good. He didn't exactly dominate in a lot of games and he needs to put on a little more weight.

Supreme Megalodon
pwbowen wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:

#2 You are incorrect. Spinal injury or head trauma, yes. But let's say he blows out a knee, he's probably still a 1st round pick. So an injury wouldn't be catastrophic as the empty heads are blathering.

CFL money? I know the exchange rate is good that way but it's not like CFL money would go very far anyway. That insurance that you snicker at is probably a great deal more than CFL.

I didn't clamor for Luck to go pro based on injury scare, just the fact that he was completely ready for the NFL.

All the slurping of Clowney aside, another year against SEC competition will do him good. He didn't exactly dominate in a lot of games and he needs to put on a little more weight.

I dont think i snickered at the insurance money :( I did weight it against the loss of his 1st round signing and contract (its less). Against potential earnings, its much worse. The CFL money might be less than the pro money, it might also be less than the insurance payout - but its lot more than the money hes going to get paid next year by his team :D If hes going to get injured, may as well get paid for it AND have CFL insuarance coverage (which will pay more) than not get paid and have less coverage.

Head/Spine injury vs Knee? It all depends really ... It would have to be bad to knock him out of the first round. But we've seen it happen before. But he doesnt havent to be knocked out the 1st for this to make a huge difference to him. The difference between going first overall, mid round and at the back end of rnd 1 is circa $9 & $15million, respectively. So even a drop of a dozen spots is a big deal to a guy turning pro.

But how an injury could affect him aside? Lets say he "Djaxes" a few games? Wont help him. Wont hurt him, but ultimately it really wont help him. Lets say he does that and he dominates even less often than he did in 2011? We're now asking questions we werent even thinking of before.

Do i think any of that will happen? Like the injury scenario, i doubt it. Ultimately though, the likelihood isnt the point. The risks of all the above if he plays are low. But the risks if he doesnt play become zero ...

All power to him tho =D> The fact he hasnt cried foul to the NFL (ref:Age) or dithered about whether to play or not (which wont help the GC's), whilst being sensible enough to grab insurance is no bad thing.

Ref: Luck. Whatever youre reasons are? Ive absolutely no beef with them - just that you brought him up and said youd give him the same advice was all.

Overall, i dont think any player should leave early if it can be helped. Generally speaking i think theyre better players if they stay in school. But the NCAA really needs to start thinking about some way to remunerate these kids when/if things go wrong as the current package isnt good enough for kids near the top of the pyramid at their positions.

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:

I dont think i snickered at the insurance money :( I did weight it against the loss of his 1st round signing and contract (its less). Against potential earnings, its much worse. The CFL money might be less than the pro money, it might also be less than the insurance payout - but its lot more than the money hes going to get paid next year by his team :D If hes going to get injured, may as well get paid for it AND have CFL insuarance coverage (which will pay more) than not get paid and have less coverage.

Head/Spine injury vs Knee? It all depends really ... It would have to be bad to knock him out of the first round. But we've seen it happen before. But he doesnt havent to be knocked out the 1st for this to make a huge difference to him. The difference between going first overall, mid round and at the back end of rnd 1 is circa $9 & $15million, respectively. So even a drop of a dozen spots is a big deal to a guy turning pro.

But how an injury could affect him aside? Lets say he "Djaxes" a few games? Wont help him. Wont hurt him, but ultimately it really wont help him. Lets say he does that and he dominates even less often than he did in 2011? We're now asking questions we werent even thinking of before.

Do i think any of that will happen? Like the injury scenario, i doubt it. Ultimately though, the likelihood isnt the point. The risks of all the above if he plays are low. But the risks if he doesnt play become zero ...

All power to him tho =D> The fact he hasnt cried foul to the NFL (ref:Age) or dithered about whether to play or not (which wont help the GC's), whilst being sensible enough to grab insurance is no bad thing.

Ref: Luck. Whatever youre reasons are? Ive absolutely no beef with them - just that you brought him up and said youd give him the same advice was all.

Overall, i dont think any player should leave early if it can be helped. Generally speaking i think theyre better players if they stay in school. But the NCAA really needs to start thinking about some way to remunerate these kids when/if things go wrong as the current package isnt good enough for kids near the top of the pyramid at their positions.

In the end, not playing for a year would also hurt him. The assumption that it wouldn't is dangerous. Ask Mike Williams how being away a year worked out for him. And it's a big red flag that he'll catch a lot of heat over if he walks away from his team to place himself above all of them. Give teams a year to sit and pick every nuance of his game and his personality apart and some of these guys will make BD look like his biggest fan.

This kid's not one that's been in trouble, but he's not as disciplined and mature as Lattimore is. He needs to be in a structured environment with people looking out for him. Too much free time and money wouldn't be the best thing for him, it would be an awful lot of temptation. He enjoys the spotlight a great deal and would have to find other ways to get attention without games on Saturday. His father was a great athlete around here and ended up throwing it away and going to jail for a long, long time. I think that's a good example for him to try to stay focused and not be distracted down the wrong road.

Obviously I hope he doesn't consider it and I would be suspect that most folks whispering it into his ear are looking to grab a fistful from him cashing out now.

Supreme Megalodon
pwbowen wrote:In the end, not playing for a year would also hurt him. The assumption that it wouldn't is dangerous. Ask Mike Williams how being away a year worked out for him. And it's a big red flag that he'll catch a lot of heat over if he walks away from his team to place himself above all of them. Give teams a year to sit and pick every nuance of his game and his personality apart and some of these guys will make BD look like his biggest fan.

This kid's not one that's been in trouble, but he's not as disciplined and mature as Lattimore is. He needs to be in a structured environment with people looking out for him. Too much free time and money wouldn't be the best thing for him, it would be an awful lot of temptation. He enjoys the spotlight a great deal and would have to find other ways to get attention without games on Saturday. His father was a great athlete around here and ended up throwing it away and going to jail for a long, long time. I think that's a good example for him to try to stay focused and not be distracted down the wrong road.

Obviously I hope he doesn't consider it and I would be suspect that most folks whispering it into his ear are looking to grab a fistful from him cashing out now.

Which Mike Williams we on about; The one who took the NFL to court to enter the NFL early, or the one who walked out on Syracuse (mid-season) after a second suspension (the first for cheating)?I dont think either particularly apply to Clowney, ultimately :)

I think youre dead right about time and temptation - how many kids we seen it happen to?

I didnt know that about his dad, which makes his current ethos all the more laudable (not taking an easy out), so hopefully it works out for him!

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 23,761.28
Is his draft stock dropping? Seems like coming into the season he was the consensus #1 pick...is he still? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... an-pleased

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Supreme Megalodon
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:Is his draft stock dropping? Seems like coming into the season he was the consensus #1 pick...is he still? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... an-pleased

I wouldnt say its fallen, id just say it was inflated. Slightly. And not by him or anything hes done or not done, i might add.

Have to go back 8yrs (as itll be in 2014) to 2006 to find the last time a DE wa taken 1.01 (Mario), usually elite DLs go top 3-4.

In a passing league, the teams picking in the top 3 usually have a need at QB and in today's passing league that's only going to get worse.

We will probably hear - ALOT - about how JC's sack totals this year are disappointing (Which is really annoying as it ignores the fact that good players get game planned for) and that there is a "rumor/feeling" he "takes plays off" as well as concerns about "Niggling injuries that may have affected him".

Its not a concern id share.

I think all the hype, when its settled, will land him where he should be anywhere in the top 5 (if i had to say where this ridiculously early id say 2-3) and that has little to do with any knock on him and more to do with QB values in the league. Just my 2c tho.

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
The idea that he was going over a QB was never realistic. Just as Jam pointed out, it was inflated a bit.

He'll 'fall' to around pick 5. What he'll do at the combine will make scouts drool like my basset staring at me grilling out.

Then we'll start hearing anonymous sources talk about 'questionable work ethic' and 'he takes plays off' as teams try to dirty him a bit to get him to fall a couple spots to them.

Gotta say I despise when a coach starts dumping on a player in the media like Spurrier did last night. The Ball Coach knows it's a one way street that he gets to talk and Clowney can't respond without looking like a punk.

Same thing as when Stoops runs on the field and starts screaming at the SS who didn't make a tackle on Mike Davis to stop SC on 3rd down.

Showing up players, belittling them and just basically humiliating them isn't coaching.

Supreme Megalodon

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon

I think it's pretty funny that half a column article has to have 'highlights' next to it.

That's the epitome of lazy reporting there. He just cobbles up a few tweets and poof, it's a column. :lol:

I'm sure there's a 5 minute segment of screaming on First Vomit later this morning on this one though. :wink: