Jameis' Jabber

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,148.64
Well, Winston can "talk the talk" for someone who's yet to be seen "walking the walk", thats for sure.

Figured i put this up as looks like he could be good for more than most's share of quotables. All the below just from one media session.

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher hasn't said for sure that redshirt freshman Jameis Winston is his starting quarterback, but media folks everywhere sure hope Fisher gives the nod to Winston soon.

FSU had its annual football media day Sunday, and Winston handled the assembled reporters like a veteran and got off a few great one-liners. Among them:

-- Winston was asked about Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel's off-field issues; a reporter referred to the problems as "Manziel disease." Winston's response: "If I ever get Manziel disease, I want all of you to smack me in the head with your microphones."

-- A white reporter asked Winston about his outgoing personality. The response from Winston, who is black: "I could make you feel comfortable in a black church."

-- Winston loves to snack on cheese balls (think Cheetos, but round). He was asked if he would give up a national championship for a lifetime supply of cheeseballs. Winston: "I would not. But I'm going to get some cheeseballs anyway."

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Well looks like he can walk the walk.

Played exceptionally well on 3rd downs and looked more like a pocket guy than a dual threat most of the time. Rare for 19yo.

Im sure he'll have his dips (not many freshman QBs dont, RS or not), but that certainly wasnt bad as debuts go ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5 ... o-the-hype
Pitt ranked in the top 20 in total defense last season and returned nine starters. But Winston made Pitt look grossly overmatched from the very start.

25 of 27 for 356yds & 4:0 (TD:INT)
8 rushes, 25yds, 1 TD

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 119,712.42
Wow.

If I am going to pick apart a freshman's first game I don't like the delivery (usually correctable) and we didn't get to see him perform under too much duress (and Pitt played way off their WR's all game), but...it was his first game.

I just hope BSPN doesn't ruin him.
Megalodon
Sand$: 23,723.38
He showed a lot of poise in the pocket. He made the game pretty exciting to watch. Even though that defense was horrible he still played a hell of a game. Looked better then Geno :lol:

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,632.70
This feels like the hype that the Miami QB (I can't remember his name) got a few years ago after one game on a national stage. That didn't work out so great after that. The point is to reserve judgement for a larger sample size.
Supreme Megalodon
Longhorns76 wrote:This feels like the hype that the Miami QB (I can't remember his name) got a few years ago after one game on a national stage. That didn't work out so great after that. The point is to reserve judgement for a larger sample size.

Yes. And no.

Whilst i would like to see him face a team that will truly test him - and i do agree that more games will give a fairer read - BUT ... what hes doing atm? Rare. At first glance or 100th.

Hes way more developed than youd expect for a 19yo. In terms of dropbacks, re-setting, point of release, patience, throwing from multiple different sets etc etc. hes a lot further ahead than he should be.

On the flip-side, id prefer a quicker release and i think his reading of the field is probably about "normal" (Has stared down his guy on more than a couple of plays). Imho this is likely a by-product of being able to coast by on his plus level ability to reset in the pocket (and his composure being beyond his years) and buy time. Be interesting to see how/if he adjusts as his college career progresses, but given how polished he's been (and yes on limited size, but even accounting for that) id be v.surprised if his work ethic isnt rock-solid and hes a "first-in, last-out" type.

Until Clemson it's going to be hard to tell exactly what his floor/ceiling is, but for a freshman, there's alot to be excited about

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Potential "Banana skin" - & a game FSU will want a "W" in - before going up to an extremely tough game @Clemson next week: Maryland (25)

The Freshman'll be playing the best defense he's faced so far (PITT, Nevada, Beth, Boston) and itll be the first time he should feel real pressure.

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Erm .. potential banana skin avoided and - to be blunt - SHREDDED.

That last TD pass to O'leary? I know Ryan has already nabbed the ice moniker ... but Jame-ice Winston wouldnt be inappropriate.

The guy is about as zen a passer in the pocket as ive ever seen from a freshman.

Biggest test he'll get? Next week. Time for the Boyd/Winston Bowl :popcorn:

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 23,723.38
jamcutpost wrote:Erm .. potential banana skin avoided and - to be blunt - SHREDDED.

That last TD pass to O'leary? I know Ryan has already nabbed the ice moniker ... but Jame-ice Winston wouldnt be inappropriate.

The guy is about as zen a passer in the pocket as ive ever seen from a freshman.

Biggest test he'll get? Next week. Time for the Boyd/Winston Bowl :popcorn:

He makes it look so easy...nothing phases him. Hard to believe he's only a Freshman! I thought he'd slip up a bit today

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,632.70
Ok I am sold. He's pretty talented and really good so far. Great get for FSU.
Supreme Megalodon
Longhorns76 wrote:Ok I am sold. He's pretty talented and really good so far. Great get for FSU.

So far, so good.

The big hurdle is the next one Oct 19th (FSU/CLEM).

It's going to define someone's (Boyd or Winston's) season ...

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Interviewer:What does he [Boyd] do really, really well.
Winston: Well you know i like Tajh Boyd, but my favorite QB from Virginia is EJManuel ... They both from the same area, but yeah, you know Tajh he's the man. I talk to EJ about him and he's like 'We're both from Virginia so what you expect'. I know he [Boyd] gonna come with it, he's a great player.

Interviewer: Did EJ give you any insight into how play this game on Saturday
Winston: EJ just said,'Well, i beat him'

Win, lose or draw, the guy's great for a soundbite.

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 161,602.46
Toughest environment yet for the kid. Let's see how he handles himself. Personally, I wouldn't be the least bit worried.
Supreme Megalodon
marty1841 wrote:Toughest environment yet for the kid. Let's see how he handles himself. Personally, I wouldn't be the least bit worried.

Me either.

Another great game and another great quote:

Winston wrote:"We don't play against noise. We're playing against the Clemson Tigers ... It was amazing, when we were out on the field that first snap. It was loud and we started smiling because we don't play against noise."

Stat of the day? 3 of Winston's 5 scoring drives in Death Valley were made in under 1:40

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston would be the No. 1 pick if eligible for the 2014 NFL Draft.

Just ... urrrgh ... thats like ... worse than a voodoo hex, in the cajun boonies, on hallowe'en

- Douglas Adams