Saban

Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,223.76
Nick Saban has agreed to a multi-year extension to remain the head coach at Alabama.

No details have emerged in terms of years, but Alabama apparently matched Texas' offer of $7million to $7.5 million per year, which is a massive raise from his already high salary of nearly $5.4 million. This is the fourth time Saban's contract has been extended since signing an initial eight-year contract in 2007.
Source: Rivals Dec 14 - 9:07 AM

:shock:

Is he the best coach in college football?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,041.82
fishfry wrote:
Nick Saban has agreed to a multi-year extension to remain the head coach at Alabama.

No details have emerged in terms of years, but Alabama apparently matched Texas' offer of $7million to $7.5 million per year, which is a massive raise from his already high salary of nearly $5.4 million. This is the fourth time Saban's contract has been extended since signing an initial eight-year contract in 2007.

Built up Michigan St, LSU and Alabama. 3 BCS titles at Bama. Uh, yeah.

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
pwbowen wrote:
fishfry wrote:

I wouldn't say he built up MSU by any means. He lost, excuse me, got blown out in all 3 bowl games in his 5 seasons and got shut out in 1 0-35. He never saw a bowl game his last 2yrs '98 was a crapfest they didn't even make a bowl and '99 he jumped ship on "his kids" for LSU before the bowl game.

He did some good things there in his time, but I wouldn't say he built much of anything.

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Supreme Megalodon
birddog wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
fishfry wrote:

I wouldn't say he built up MSU by any means. He lost, excuse me, got blown out in all 3 bowl games in his 5 seasons and got shut out in 1 0-35. He never saw a bowl game his last 2yrs '98 was a crapfest they didn't even make a bowl and '99 he jumped ship on "his kids" for LSU before the bowl game.

He did some good things there in his time, but I wouldn't say he built much of anything.

I think you're putting way too much emphasis on bowl games, especially lower tier ones that no one really gives a crap about.

But looking at the 3 years after Saban left the record was worse than I thought, at 16-19. I would have expected more talent to be left in the cupboard at MSU after him.

Seems like they weren't very competitive before he arrived in East Lansing and had some violations under the previous regime to overcome, didn't they? But I'd be interested in the viewpoint on Saban from some Sparty fans. Do we actually have any 'round here?

Supreme Megalodon
pwbowen wrote:
birddog wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
fishfry wrote:

I think you're putting way too much emphasis on bowl games, especially lower tier ones that no one really gives a crap about.

But looking at the 3 years after Saban left the record was worse than I thought, at 16-19. I would have expected more talent to be left in the cupboard at MSU after him.

Seems like they weren't very competitive before he arrived in East Lansing and had some violations under the previous regime to overcome, didn't they? But I'd be interested in the viewpoint on Saban from some Sparty fans. Do we actually have any 'round here?

well, regardless .. whats obvious is he used the 1 sole respectable '99 season coupled with an enormous amount of media help/hype to open doors and then jump ship when it was still above water and the gettin' was good. He left with maybe 2 key 'big wins' in 5yrs iirc.

He didn't do anything impressive with MSU, really. Like I mentioned, he did a few good things but nothing impressive or worth saying he built a thing.. If you said he built a media driven career catapult in '99 I'd agree 100%. No questions. As far as building back a program? No. Not even a slight maybe.

RE: Dimitrius Underwood

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Supreme Megalodon
birddog wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
birddog wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
fishfry wrote:quote Nick Saban has agreed to a multi-year extension to remain the head coach at Alabama.

Source: Rivals Dec 14 - 9:07 AM /quote

well, regardless .. whats obvious is he used the 1 sole respectable '99 season coupled with an enormous amount of media help/hype to open doors and then jump ship when it was still above water and the gettin' was good. He left with maybe 2 key 'big wins' in 5yrs iirc.

He didn't do anything impressive with MSU, really. Like I mentioned, he did a few good things but nothing impressive or worth saying he built a thing.. If you said he built a media driven career catapult in '99 I'd agree 100%. No questions. As far as building back a program? No. Not even a slight maybe.

RE: Dimitrius Underwood

Whatever about MSU, he's still the best coach in college football today.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 67,956.71
birddog wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
fishfry wrote:

You cant get away with the payola in the Big10 like you can down South where it's more entrenched and ingrained into the culture.

PW.."Whatever about MSU, he's still the best coach in college football today."

Probably..hard to say accurately.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
fishfry wrote:

You cant get away with the payola in the Big10 like you can down South where it's more entrenched and ingrained into the culture.

PW.."Whatever about MSU, he's still the best coach in college football today."

Probably..hard to say accurately.

The irony from an osu fan is hilarious. But you just keep telling yourself whatever ridiculous lies that make you feel better, k?

Supreme Megalodon
8)
ok..that was half hearted..but still..I believe certainly that it's more prevalent in the South. More pressure and tempatation for success at all costs. Boosters down South take the game..on avg..much more life and death and again..overall, i believe leads to more involvement by them. Just an impression.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Fighting Amish wrote:8)
ok..that was half hearted..but still..I believe certainly that it's more prevalent in the South. More pressure and tempatation for success at all costs. Boosters down South take the game..on avg..much more life and death and again..overall, i believe leads to more involvement by them. Just an impression.

No, you just really, really, REALLY want to believe there's an excuse for the consistent losing.

Get real. There are people everywhere that want to be involved in programs. Winning gets more people involved and the last decade has been good for the SEC. It also brings in the best players as they want to go where they can win championships and get to the next level. Elite players don't worry about the competition on the rosters and go to where their opportunities look to be the best.

I've been around a pretty solid number of D1 players the last 3 years. I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting much of anything. And kids today suck at keeping anything private and quiet.

But hey, the crowds are louder and more involved so that means our programs are cheating? :-k

Supreme Megalodon
pwbowen wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:8)

No, you just really, really, REALLY want to believe there's an excuse for the consistent losing.

Get real. There are people everywhere that want to be involved in programs. Winning gets more people involved and the last decade has been good for the SEC. It also brings in the best players as they want to go where they can win championships and get to the next level. Elite players don't worry about the competition on the rosters and go to where their opportunities look to be the best.

I've been around a pretty solid number of D1 players the last 3 years. I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting much of anything. And kids today suck at keeping anything private and quiet.

But hey, the crowds are louder and more involved so that means our programs are cheating? :-k

Hold on bucco..are you inferring your fanbase is louder, prouder, and more involved, thus a better and more intelligent group of fans?

ok..ok..it's on now gamecock :lol:

There are people everywhere that want to be involved in programs.

I know this first hand..in a million examples. Through coaching..both summer youth travel programs on an elite athlete basis, and HS and college programs i've worked with. Yes, that is a truism that has been around since the advent of modern day sports. That does perpetuate momentum and programs success.

The Cam Newton story of his father demanding more money or taking his son elsewhere..they couldn't find the smoking gun of payment receipts..because they don't exist. Having THAT much evidence that they did, which rarely ever occurs, still they couldn't prove it. That says it all in a nutshell. Im saying it happens everywhere. IMO..it happens more often down South. Things like taking jobs for $10.00 an hr and not really showing up..selling your own property for cash or trading it for tattoos? Happens everywhere as well.

And why do I feel it happens more often down South? Can't say..because there is no proof. Let's just say, of the known cases of payola..most have been down south.

just an example..

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -history/1

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Fighting Amish wrote:And why do I feel it happens more often down South? Can't say..because there is no proof. Let's just say, of the known cases of payola..most have been down south.

just an example..

Exactly, you have zero proof. Butt-hurt isn't proof of anything. And in today's society the sheet will eventually get out. Kids are dumb and too social media-driven.

What? Dirty at Miami? Well, duh. The school made it's football bones on being the outlaw renegade program who didn't give a flip about anyone's rules.

But you need to put the broad brush down and stop trying to make excuses for your teams by sheeting on everyone 'down south'.

Les Miles' program at LSU screams non-institutional control but you might want to tread very carefully since you've got one of the leading dirt-bags in NCAA football running yours.

Supreme Megalodon
If you ever get the chance to watch Forest Gump you'll understand... zen like.

Supreme Megalodon
pwbowen wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:And why do I feel it happens more often down South? Can't say..because there is no proof. Let's just say, of the known cases of payola..most have been down south.

just an example..

Exactly, you have zero proof. Butt-hurt isn't proof of anything. And in today's society the sheet will eventually get out. Kids are dumb and too social media-driven.

What? Dirty at Miami? Well, duh. The school made it's football bones on being the outlaw renegade program who didn't give a flip about anyone's rules.

But you need to put the broad brush down and stop trying to make excuses for your teams by sheeting on everyone 'down south'.

Les Miles' program at LSU screams non-institutional control but you might want to tread very carefully since you've got one of the leading dirt-bags in NCAA football running yours.

Well as for the B1G ten..they won the Rose bowl over the Pac-12. The recent Big ten v SEC games was a very good example of parity..good, close, tough games. I make no excuses about any perceived dominance..i've posted things in here recently showing it's just the opposite. It's quite equal. One team out of the SEC has done well for a very nice run in a row. So the F*&^ what? The article i posted is just an example..most of the issues are with Southern teams..im not casting stones, just telling it as i see it bro.

Im also not saying that's the main reason one team out of the SEC has done so well. I just believe that far worse is going on with that kind of more serious issue..parents demanding big money for their kids to play at a certain school, etc. Do you think Cams dad was an aberration or unheard of completely? Do you honestly think any kid would trust anyone with any of that info? No way. Ive been around college athletes for a long time..no way do they discuss any side monies, bennies, or anything like that, amongst anyone. Far too smart of that.

Look at the overall records between the two conferences..very equal. Thats my point. The payolla issue, as i said was half hearted. But it does happen.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Fighting Amish wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

just an example..

Well as for the B1G ten..they won the Rose bowl over the Pac-12. The recent Big ten v SEC games was a very good example of parity..good, close, tough games. I make no excuses about any perceived dominance..i've posted things in here recently showing it's just the opposite. It's quite equal. One team out of the SEC has done well for a very nice run in a row. So the F*&^ what? The article i posted is just an example..most of the issues are with Southern teams..im not casting stones, just telling it as i see it bro.

Im also not saying that's the main reason one team out of the SEC has done so well. I just believe that far worse is going on with that kind of more serious issue..parents demanding big money for their kids to play at a certain school, etc. Do you think Cams dad was an aberration or unheard of completely? Do you honestly think any kid would trust anyone with any of that info? No way. Ive been around college athletes for a long time..no way do they discuss any side monies, bennies, or anything like that, amongst anyone. Far too smart of that.

Look at the overall records between the two conferences..very equal. Thats my point. The payolla issue, as i said was half hearted. But it does happen.

Ahhh, moral victories! :lol:

And I don't think you are really in touch with kids today if you think they're smart enough to know when to STFU. They aren't. They can't help themselves. We were stupid too when we were 18, we just didn't have texting/Facebook/Twitter/email/Instagram/Vine/Skype, etc. to help broadcast how dumb we were. The morons tell on themselves repeatedly for everything in the world, including criminal activity. But they're smart enough to not ever talk about pay for play or all the cool free stuff they get. They boast about stuff they STEAL at times, but no, not that. :-k

As I've said, it's ok, as long as you feel better telling yourself that almost winning games = wins and everyone else is cheating then I say go for it.

I'm sure they gave their best.