Gruden to Texas?

Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,223.76
CBS:
Every year there are signs that winter is drawing nearer. Leaves die and begin to fall off of trees, temperatures drop, depending on where you live some snow begins to fall, and then somebody reports that Jon Gruden is interested in a college coaching job.

It's time to bust out the thermal underwear because Orangebloods.com is reporting that Gruden is "open to hearing" from Texas about its currently vacant coaching position.

Although Gruden has flourished in broadcasting with ESPN since his departure from NFL coaching, our source mentioned that the Texas job is one of the few offers that Gruden would consider, claiming that the Super Bowl-winning coach views the position as one of a few "premiere" jobs that he would consider if approached about them during an opening.
"It's Austin, it's not like any other city in Texas or anywhere, really. It's a destination, but with the state capitol, the university, the politics and the media, it's the eye of a hurricane," the source said of Gruden's interest. "(James) Franklin, (Jim) Mora, they're are great coaches - but stepping into this sort of situation for the first time? You're going to have limited success."

Every year there's a job that Gruden would see as one of those "premiere" jobs and then Jon Gruden stays in the television booth because it pays pretty darn well and requires far less work and stress than being a head coach does.

And it's important to remember what a source told CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman last week when Feldman was writing about potential candidates for the Texas job.

"Jon Gruden's the greatest tire-kicker in the history of coaching."

Kick away, Jon. Kick away.

:lol:
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 67,956.71
Gruden went to the Super Bowl with another mans team..why is he believed to be such a developer of talent and molder of Champions is beyond me.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,041.82
Fighting Amish wrote:Gruden went to the Super Bowl with another mans team..why is he believed to be such a developer of talent and molder of Champions is beyond me.

My favorite is that "He's a QB developer". Not that he's ever done that anywhere or anything though.

That boob isn't leaving BSPN.

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,223.76
Monday Night Football color analyst Jon Gruden reiterated Monday he has no intention of leaving ESPN.

Five NFL head-coaching vacancies have surfaced on "Black Monday," but Gruden wants no part of it. "I don't want to be considered for any of these jobs," said Gruden, who hasn't coached since 2008. "I don't want to be considered for anything. There are plenty of good candidates out there. I'm just sick for the guys who can no longer coach their teams. ... I'm hoping to do the best I can to hang on to my job." Gruden, 50, spent 11 years in the NFL as a head coach, compiling a 95-81 record with one Super Bowl ring. Mon, Dec 30, 2013 04:05:00 PM
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Of course not. No pressure, good money, now he's doing endorsement deals. We'll never see him on the sideline again.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 20,811.62
Louisville fans are freaking out a bit around here guys. They have been riding high on "The Year of the Cardinal"and within the course of 2 weeks they have been beaten by the Cats in basketball, lost 2 players to drugs, lost their QB and SS to the NFL and their coach to Texas.

I really hope that Charlie isn't over his head in Austin. He was very poor with the media here, and I get the impression that there is much more schmoozing required at UT. He is a solid football coach, but I personally wonder if that will be enough for the Longhorn fans.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,041.82
bluemist wrote:Louisville fans are freaking out a bit around here guys. They have been riding high on "The Year of the Cardinal"and within the course of 2 weeks they have been beaten by the Cats in basketball, lost 2 players to drugs, lost their QB and SS to the NFL and their coach to Texas.

I really hope that Charlie isn't over his head in Austin. He was very poor with the media here, and I get the impression that there is much more schmoozing required at UT. He is a solid football coach, but I personally wonder if that will be enough for the Longhorn fans.

That's a major concern to me. There's going to be a lot of off the field expectations he's never seen.

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,632.70
pwbowen wrote:
bluemist wrote:Louisville fans are freaking out a bit around here guys. They have been riding high on "The Year of the Cardinal"and within the course of 2 weeks they have been beaten by the Cats in basketball, lost 2 players to drugs, lost their QB and SS to the NFL and their coach to Texas.

That's a major concern to me. There's going to be a lot of off the field expectations he's never seen.

If Mack is kept around the program which is the plan (and doesn't go and take the Nebraska job or something in the next couple of years), he will provide the endorsement and the mouthpiece of Texas football while Charlie can focus on the on field and x and o's with the usual media obligations that go with being a head coach. The boosters and Mack have such a strong bond that I believe he will bridge any gaps that Charlie may have in the beginning. If Mack sells them on Strong, then I am pretty sure that we won't have a real issue. Saban doesn't take BS from Bama people, he does what he wants and Bama fan loves him. If Charlie wins, the same will apply.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 20,811.62
Longhorns76 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

If Mack is kept around the program which is the plan (and doesn't go and take the Nebraska job or something in the next couple of years), he will provide the endorsement and the mouthpiece of Texas football while Charlie can focus on the on field and x and o's with the usual media obligations that go with being a head coach. The boosters and Mack have such a strong bond that I believe he will bridge any gaps that Charlie may have in the beginning. If Mack sells them on Strong, then I am pretty sure that we won't have a real issue. Saban doesn't take BS from Bama people, he does what he wants and Bama fan loves him. If Charlie wins, the same will apply.

I really hope it plays out like this. Charlie really does want to do right by the kids, IMO. Every D1 football coach has to compromise morality for wins to some degree, but Strong seemed to really demand a higher standard from the boys here than some of the other Cardinal coaches, in particular Coach Pitino. If Mack can insulate him from the jackleg boosters then Strong will succeed in bringing the Horns back to the very top of CFB.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.