User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 52916
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 39,706.27
ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Live that the Texans' head-coaching contract with Penn State's Bill O'Brien is "imminent," and expects it to be finalized "in the next 24 hours."
O'Brien is leaving Happy Valley, as expected. The Houston Chronicle's John McClain earlier reported the Texans were "closing in" on the onetime Bill Belichick assistant, and Mort's report essentially confirms it. The Texans already satisfied the Rooney Rule by interviewing Lovie Smith prior to Week 17.


Ahh yeah, my favorite time of the season is nearly here. Reports that aren't really reports but guesses that turn out not to be true 99% of the time, but what in the hell, I'll make a new thread for them every time. You're welcome. :thumbright:


EDIT -
Ok, now I feel a little better about this thread creation. A real reporter is on the beat -

"Teams who fired coaches might be checking on Bill O’Brien and find out he’s closing in on a new job in Houston,” McClain wrote.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 52916
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 39,706.27
The Texans no longer plan to interview Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt for their head-coaching position.
It's another strong indication that the Texans have already settled on Penn State's Bill O'Brien to succeed Gary Kubiak/Wade Phillips. Because Whisenhunt's Chargers made the postseason, NFL rules dictate that he can not interview for head-coaching openings until next weekend at soonest. The Texans reportedly have an "internal deadline" of Tuesday to hire a new head coach.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 25559
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 21,148.64
:censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Posts: 8771
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010
Sand$: 18,892.74
So Penn State gets a cool $6.5 million out of the deal from the Texans? That's his buyout.

And no Head Coach? Crappy trade...
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 25559
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 21,148.64
jnadke wrote:So Penn State gets a cool $6.5 million out of the deal from the Texans? That's his buyout.

And no Head Coach? Crappy trade...


The only - and i do mean only - silver lining is both the buy out and the fact there's now a couple of other names in the ring other than Schianos for the Penn gig.

If O'Brien has to go - and i wish him well - Vandy's Franklin is someone id like to see at the valley.

Penn Live wrote:Atop that list is Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, according to knowledgeable sources within the program. Franklin is the young, vibrant head coach at Vanderbilt who carries strong Pennsylvania ties through his upbringing in the Philadelphia suburb of Langhorne, high school at Neshaminy and his college playing career as East Stroudsburg University's quarterback (1991-94).

Not only are PSU's moneymen intrigued with his resume, athletic director Dave Joyner has direct knowledge of Franklin through family members and third parties who are very impressed with him.


In all honesty tho almost anyone but Schiano would be good news ](*,)
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 2955
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005
Sand$: 34,698.16
jamcutpost wrote::censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F


I'm a big Rutgers fan and about half the RU community is horrified at the notion that Schiano goes to Happy Valley. The other half, myself included, know that Schiano is a lousy gameday coach. He's a good NJ recruiter but honestly PSU recruits itself. So they will get a few top 15 NJ recruits each year and he'll lose with them. Just like he lost at Rutgers and at Tampa.

I'd be much more worried about PSU if they land Franklin, who will also be able to take NJ recruits and can actually coach x's and o's.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 36874
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006
Sand$: 48,193.78
i see al golden in penn state before schiano.
_______________________________________

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount St. Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Megalodon
Posts: 20292
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004
Sand$: 44,488.92
KIAball1996 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote::censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F


I'm a big Rutgers fan and about half the RU community is horrified at the notion that Schiano goes to Happy Valley. The other half, myself included, know that Schiano is a lousy gameday coach. He's a good NJ recruiter but honestly PSU recruits itself. So they will get a few top 15 NJ recruits each year and he'll lose with them. Just like he lost at Rutgers and at Tampa.

I'd be much more worried about PSU if they land Franklin, who will also be able to take NJ recruits and can actually coach x's and o's.



Ehh, don't matter who's at Penn as far as Rutgers go.

I've never had anything against Rutgers so I'm sorry for them joining the Big 10. No hope now for the likes of the late '70s again. Prepare to be slapped around to mediocrity, at best, in perpetuity.
_______________________________________

Gotta love the AAFC and AFL3 teams playing for the NFL Championship.

On FF sabbatical.
2016: FSNFL, P$B, Wall, Dyno$, Uber, College, DeathMatch, HoP
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 2955
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005
Sand$: 34,698.16
The BlueBeards wrote:
KIAball1996 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote::censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F


I'm a big Rutgers fan and about half the RU community is horrified at the notion that Schiano goes to Happy Valley. The other half, myself included, know that Schiano is a lousy gameday coach. He's a good NJ recruiter but honestly PSU recruits itself. So they will get a few top 15 NJ recruits each year and he'll lose with them. Just like he lost at Rutgers and at Tampa.

I'd be much more worried about PSU if they land Franklin, who will also be able to take NJ recruits and can actually coach x's and o's.



Ehh, don't matter who's at Penn as far as Rutgers go.

I've never had anything against Rutgers so I'm sorry for them joining the Big 10. No hope now for the likes of the late '70s again. Prepare to be slapped around to mediocrity, at best, in perpetuity.


The hope is that RU has become attractive enough over the past decade where it plus the allure of playing against the B1G competition will give them a shot at gradually elevating itself. Academically, the school has big plans for the next 30 years. That vision has been lacking athletically. I think there will be something about hosting other prestigious state universities like PSU, OSU, UMich, Neb, etc will inspire the RU admin to do what is necessary. Plus, the whole point to getting into the B1G was to restore the athletic department to solvency, which hopefully will allow RU to spend on a real football and basketball coach.
Megalodon
Posts: 20292
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004
Sand$: 44,488.92
KIAball1996 wrote:
The BlueBeards wrote:
KIAball1996 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote::censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F


I'm a big Rutgers fan and about half the RU community is horrified at the notion that Schiano goes to Happy Valley. The other half, myself included, know that Schiano is a lousy gameday coach. He's a good NJ recruiter but honestly PSU recruits itself. So they will get a few top 15 NJ recruits each year and he'll lose with them. Just like he lost at Rutgers and at Tampa.

I'd be much more worried about PSU if they land Franklin, who will also be able to take NJ recruits and can actually coach x's and o's.



Ehh, don't matter who's at Penn as far as Rutgers go.

I've never had anything against Rutgers so I'm sorry for them joining the Big 10. No hope now for the likes of the late '70s again. Prepare to be slapped around to mediocrity, at best, in perpetuity.


The hope is that RU has become attractive enough over the past decade where it plus the allure of playing against the B1G competition will give them a shot at gradually elevating itself. Academically, the school has big plans for the next 30 years. That vision has been lacking athletically. I think there will be something about hosting other prestigious state universities like PSU, OSU, UMich, Neb, etc will inspire the RU admin to do what is necessary. Plus, the whole point to getting into the B1G was to restore the athletic department to solvency, which hopefully will allow RU to spend on a real football and basketball coach.


Sure, that's the allure of joining the Big 10. All that sports money. And yes, it will help them better their sports programs...On paper. The cost though will be the top 3-4 teams will be knocking them senseless year after year after year. I'll root for them though, a little bit anyway, simply because I'm a big fan of academics over sports. Well, except when up against Ohio State, just because that's my team, despite my misgivings of these modern college sports powerhouses. Also when against Northwestern, who I've rooted for for decades simply because of their fantastic academics over sports mentality.

It would be cool though if Rutgers could someday do as well in sports as Northwestern is now in the Big 10. I still get a kick anytime Northwestern wins anything against the powerhouses, even OSU.
_______________________________________

Gotta love the AAFC and AFL3 teams playing for the NFL Championship.

On FF sabbatical.
2016: FSNFL, P$B, Wall, Dyno$, Uber, College, DeathMatch, HoP
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11377
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007
Sand$: 42,683.90
If BoB leaves, it'll be fun to watch who they go after. Franklin, makes sense, went to East Stroudsburg, is from the Philly area. His ceiling is capped at Vandy. At best, they'll always be a middle-of-the pack team in the SEC, and he's a few 4-8 seasons away from his stock being waaaay down. Al Golden was thought in some circles to be the successor to Paterno before all of the Sandusky stuff went down. I'd be surprised if he'd leave Miami. Schiano is also someone who makes sense, but not sure how his personality (or perceived personality) would be received amongst the boosters/administration.

It really doesn't matter what Rutgers and Maryland do, they were brought into the B1G to allow BTN to get into the NY and DC markets. With the new divisions, and Rutgers and MD having to play Penn St, Mich, Mich St, and Ohio St every single season, it'll be very difficult for them to ever win more than 7 or 8 games in a season, considering where those schools already are, and those schools already go into Rutgers and Maryland's recruiting bases for the best players, PSU especially.

Back on topic though, it'll be interesting to see if he ultimately does go to Houston. He's come out and told recruits that he's staying, and he flirted with this last year only to come back. I knew he wouldn't be at Penn State too long if he had success, because he ultimately wants to be an NFL HC. There were a lot of good things that Penn State offers (offered?) him, in terms of finances and health care, but again, I think any realist that follows Penn State knows OB's an NFL guy and he probably wasn't a long-term solution at Penn State.
_______________________________________

2009 Tanked Dynasty League Champ
2010 Draft Sharks Semi-Pro West Champ
2011 Draft Sharks Pro Champ
2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 25559
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 21,148.64
LaSean4Heisman wrote:If BoB leaves, it'll be fun to watch who they go after. Franklin, makes sense, went to East Stroudsburg, is from the Philly area. His ceiling is capped at Vandy. At best, they'll always be a middle-of-the pack team in the SEC, and he's a few 4-8 seasons away from his stock being waaaay down. Al Golden was thought in some circles to be the successor to Paterno before all of the Sandusky stuff went down. I'd be surprised if he'd leave Miami. Schiano is also someone who makes sense, but not sure how his personality (or perceived personality) would be received amongst the boosters/administration.

It really doesn't matter what Rutgers and Maryland do, they were brought into the B1G to allow BTN to get into the NY and DC markets. With the new divisions, and Rutgers and MD having to play Penn St, Mich, Mich St, and Ohio St every single season, it'll be very difficult for them to ever win more than 7 or 8 games in a season, considering where those schools already are, and those schools already go into Rutgers and Maryland's recruiting bases for the best players, PSU especially.

Back on topic though, it'll be interesting to see if he ultimately does go to Houston. He's come out and told recruits that he's staying, and he flirted with this last year only to come back. I knew he wouldn't be at Penn State too long if he had success, because he ultimately wants to be an NFL HC. There were a lot of good things that Penn State offers (offered?) him, in terms of finances and health care, but again, I think any realist that follows Penn State knows OB's an NFL guy and he probably wasn't a long-term solution at Penn State.


Aaaaaand thats the bottom line.

His buy out clause is reflective of that and like i posted earlier if he jumps to HOU there is nothing but good wishes here for him. He did a good job in difficult circumstances.

Ref: Rutgers, i hope they can be everything that they can become and ive certainly no axe with them - but i do hope they get Schiano, rather than PSU.

No O'Brien? No problem, just let it be Franklin coming the other way. I promise to be good all year ...
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 31879
Joined: Sat Jul 9, 2005
Sand$: 67,956.71
KIAball1996 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote::censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F


I'm a big Rutgers fan and about half the RU community is horrified at the notion that Schiano goes to Happy Valley. The other half, myself included, know that Schiano is a lousy gameday coach. He's a good NJ recruiter but honestly PSU recruits itself. So they will get a few top 15 NJ recruits each year and he'll lose with them. Just like he lost at Rutgers and at Tampa.

I'd be much more worried about PSU if they land Franklin, who will also be able to take NJ recruits and can actually coach x's and o's.


In now way do i mean to offend..Rutgers is a fine academic school..but the only reason they're going to big Ten is tv $$

They dont fit in any way for the big ten. This expansion of conferences is ridiculous. You can look forward to playing against penn St..as its not only the skill of the coach..but Ped St will be behind the 8 ball or a few more years. As an example..the Big Ten was after Nebraska for 20 years before they finally had enough of the Big12 insanity and sack licking of Texas..they fit. Same type of research and development school..they just fit. The arrival of Rutgers and Maryland are not very favorable. Its just a money move and exposure of the Big10 network in the Nj/Ny area.
_______________________________________

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 25559
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 21,148.64
Fighting Amish wrote:In now way do i mean to offend..Rutgers is a fine academic school..but the only reason they're going to big Ten is tv $$

They dont fit in any way for the big ten. This expansion of conferences is ridiculous. You can look forward to playing against penn St..as its not only the skill of the coach..but Ped St will be behind the 8 ball or a few more years. As an example..the Big Ten was after Nebraska for 20 years before they finally had enough of the Big12 insanity and sack licking of Texas..they fit. Same type of research and development school..they just fit. The arrival of Rutgers and Maryland are not very favorable. Its just a money move and exposure of the Big10 network in the Nj/Ny area.


Oh, really?
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 2955
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005
Sand$: 34,698.16
Fighting Amish wrote:
KIAball1996 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote::censor:




EDIT: For context, im a penn st fan and this isnt good news - esp if Schiano is coming the other way ... :F


I'm a big Rutgers fan and about half the RU community is horrified at the notion that Schiano goes to Happy Valley. The other half, myself included, know that Schiano is a lousy gameday coach. He's a good NJ recruiter but honestly PSU recruits itself. So they will get a few top 15 NJ recruits each year and he'll lose with them. Just like he lost at Rutgers and at Tampa.

I'd be much more worried about PSU if they land Franklin, who will also be able to take NJ recruits and can actually coach x's and o's.


In now way do i mean to offend..Rutgers is a fine academic school..but the only reason they're going to big Ten is tv $$

They dont fit in any way for the big ten. This expansion of conferences is ridiculous. You can look forward to playing against penn St..as its not only the skill of the coach..but Ped St will be behind the 8 ball or a few more years. As an example..the Big Ten was after Nebraska for 20 years before they finally had enough of the Big12 insanity and sack licking of Texas..they fit. Same type of research and development school..they just fit. The arrival of Rutgers and Maryland are not very favorable. Its just a money move and exposure of the Big10 network in the Nj/Ny area.


Respectfully, the fact that you imply that Rutgers is not a large state research and development school indicates that you know nothing about Rutgers. In addition to TV market, one of the most exciting aspects of RU for the B1G is what RU brings to the table by way of sharing resources in r&d, particularly in agriculture and pharm. Rutgers is tailor made for the B1G in many ways other than the size of the football stadium and being on the east coast.