Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 67,956.71
getdownmmmkay wrote:what, exactly, makes them unfit for the big 10? i'm not seeing it, outside of possibly geography. heck, they even have a wrestling team.

Finally..thank you bro..

This is a good place to start..although it's really more than football. Yes, locale is part of it, true.

From a Jersey editorial perspective..

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... g_ten.html

And this Rutgers team is supposed to compete in the Big Ten next season. If Houston did this, what might Penn State do when it comes here in the league opener? Or Michigan or Wisconsin or – yikes – Ohio State?

Because that is the only takeaway from this one. Rutgers is not ready for its new league. Not when it has failed to develop a single quarterback capable of not throwing to the other team. Not when its secondary makes every opposing passer look like the Heisman frontrunner.

Not with a fan base that, despite a perfect fall day and a must-win league game, can’t be bothered getting into the stadium until the second quarter. Arrive late. Leave early. That’s the Rutgers way.

They have a fanbase that historically doesn't.. necessarily embrace their sports teams. That is not the Bigten fanbase. Each and every school, including lowly Purdue, Indiana and Northwestern fill the stadium week in and week out. Rabid fans. The Big ten is a midwestern conference of rabid sports fans and this move to grow to 14 schools is stupid, period. It's not a popular move.
Last edited by Fighting Amish on Tue 12.31.2013, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 19,773.66
geography aside, rutgers is a pretty good b10 fit. maryland? meh.

on topic. using that kid toucher program as a stepping stone to big and better things is commendable.

currently consulting my FF appraiser/advisor
Supreme Megalodon
HurricaneNamedDitka wrote:geography aside, rutgers is a pretty good b10 fit. maryland? meh.

on topic. using that kid toucher program as a stepping stone to big and better things is commendable.

hahahah..Kid toucher program..

I was out a few weeks ago at a local, popular sports bar for a browns game. We met a young guy in his late 20's who was there. A browns fan, just moved to the area for a medical job. He graduated from Penn State and was working hard at defending paterno. He was intense about it. I just looked at the kid in amazement half the time. Smart, educated, works with terminally ill children..and was caught up so much in the cult of personality there that he still worshiped paterno and held him to no accountability whatsoever. Denial for their hero. It was sad.

O'Brian is a good coach though, and yes, it was a stepping stone evidently. The Browns turned him down for HC once, or perhaps twice I believe. I think he'll do very well in Hou.

ImageImage
Great White Shark
Sand$: 34,698.16
Fighting Amish wrote:
getdownmmmkay wrote:what, exactly, makes them unfit for the big 10? i'm not seeing it, outside of possibly geography. heck, they even have a wrestling team.

Finally..thank you bro..

This is a good place to start..although it's really more than football. Yes, locale is part of it, true.

From a Jersey editorial perspective..

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... g_ten.html

I'm "quote policing" you because you threw out what is probably the only Shakespeare line you are aware of and you completely FUBAR it. Then you cited that as an example of how "classy" you are. I am envisioning you making a champagne toast tonight out of a red solo cup. Am I pretty close on that?

You are now asserting that Steve Politi speaks to the "Jersey editorial perspective"? I guess we need to add NJ politics to the list of things you have demonstrated zero knowledge of.

And your viewpoint is out there, sure, but it's far from universal along the fan bases. Not like the fans' opinions matter anyway. But let's back up.

What makes Nebraska a "good fit" for the B1G in your opinion? Earlier you said they were a good fit as a research institution. When I enlightened you about Rutgers' standing as a very well respected state-funded research institution, you changed your reasoning to 'well Rutgers brings no value to any sport.' I refuse to waste my time disproving such an absurd hyperbolic comment as that. So now it's 'look, even Steve Politi agrees with me! See? See?'. Politi's schtick is to tear down Rutgers at every opportunity for a very specific purpose. You have no way of knowing that, so I can't fault you. But consider that a little additional free education from me.

I understand what Rutgers brings to the table in terms of TV market. No doubt that was a unique benefit to the B1G. But your comments beyond that are ridiculous. And FYI Rutgers will be firmly in the middle of the pack in the football conference from the start. Two years ago, Rutgers easily beat Iowa State in their bowl game. If that is any measure of the average B1G team, then I'm not very worried about how Rutgers will fare in conference.
Supreme Megalodon
I used a funny comment on a message board making light of an idiotic comment chastising me about discussing certain issues in the "main" where it should be more properly discussed in General.. You do realize how stupid you sound by making an issue about a half hearted joke line meant for nothing more than lolz to nicely explain to jammy he was being hypocritically stupid about anything i wrote that should be moved to the "general" when he was banging with killing children and old germans..this is entirely too freaking funny.

..and im pretty sure Iowa State is NOT in the Big Ten..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Teams+in+the+Big+Ten&l=1

lol..sorry man..don't mean to take an (innocent comment from you and exaggerate it!!!) lol too funny.. this entire thread has been very entertaining man. No harm, no foul
Last edited by Fighting Amish on Tue 12.31.2013, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,148.64
BoB probably glad he didnt take the Browns gig last year after the way they treated Chud

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:BoB probably glad he didnt take the Browns gig last year after the way they treated Chud

Haslem has shown himself to be a complete Boob..how can anyone trust him as an employer? If Mcnugget comes to town..it will be only because nobody else has given him an offer. Although, there are some reported connections that might help to make it work.

ImageImage
Chum
Sand$: 64.56
Sports 610 just reported the Texans and Bill O'Brien have agreed to terms. Good hire by Houston!
Supreme Megalodon
Blucuss wrote:Sports 610 just reported the Texans and Bill O'Brien have agreed to terms. Good hire by Houston!

No doubt. I really like this guy as a HC. I think he's got the "it" factor. He's going to be exceptionally successful at Houston. He's a coaches coach and will make a hell of an NFL HC. I see him in the same light as some of the Great HC in the past NFL. He's got the qualities I look for in a Champion. Time will tell, but I think im right on this one.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 36,300.78
Thursday 1/2/14 presser - PSU AD...from the Daily Collegian, PSU's student newspaper:

Joyner said a search committee has already begun a "robust" coaching search to find Penn State's next head coach. Joyner said the search should take "a matter of days, not weeks." Joyner added that he won't name candidates to secure the search's confidentiality, but he did say they have been contacted by "a number of very prominent" coaches about the opening.

Once the reality set in that Notre Dame and Texas weren't going to join the Big 10 at the time of the conferences were all re-aligning a few years ago, the addition of Rutgers and then Maryland to fill out the league to 14 made sense. You can't always get what you want but you get what you need.

Is Rutgers the "prototype" Big 10 type school...no. But they filled a need in terms of a highly rated academic university which I'm sure pleased some university Presidents of the Big 10 who value that and as has been said, it provided a nice TV market. You can argue that other than the historical geographic footprint of the Big 10, Northwestern isn't any different than Rutgers in that academics will always probably trump sports and specifically the football product.
Supreme Megalodon
jesteva wrote:Thursday 1/2/14 presser - PSU AD...from the Daily Collegian, PSU's student newspaper:

Joyner said a search committee has already begun a "robust" coaching search to find Penn State's next head coach. Joyner said the search should take "a matter of days, not weeks." Joyner added that he won't name candidates to secure the search's confidentiality, but he did say they have been contacted by "a number of very prominent" coaches about the opening.

Once the reality set in that Notre Dame and Texas weren't going to join the Big 10 at the time of the conferences were all re-aligning a few years ago, the addition of Rutgers and then Maryland to fill out the league to 14 made sense. You can't always get what you want but you get what you need.

Is Rutgers the "prototype" Big 10 type school...no. But they filled a need in terms of a highly rated academic university which I'm sure pleased some university Presidents of the Big 10 who value that and as has been said, it provided a nice TV market. You can argue that other than the historical geographic footprint of the Big 10, Northwestern isn't any different than Rutgers in that academics will always probably trump sports and specifically the football product.

:Drink) Well said, i can see that.

ImageImage
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,683.90
Man if Penn State actually does get James Franklin.. Maryland and Rutgers may want to fold up their tents. I'd have never expected they'd be able to get him.

2009 Tanked Dynasty League Champ
2010 Draft Sharks Semi-Pro West Champ
2011 Draft Sharks Pro Champ
2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion
Sand$: 39,728.27
James Franklin has agreed to become the next head coach at Penn State per ESPN
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 36,300.78
On the surface other than that rape matter with a Vandy player which I gotta believe PSU did their due diligence on given what's at stake, great hire - great timing.

4 of PSU's recruits signed on to enroll early starting with the 2nd semester and would have a school report date this Saturday. I'd think that Franklin being on board beforehand accompanied by maybe a phone call to them would minimize any who might have considered changing their mind.
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,683.90
In short, I think he'll do very well at Penn State and in 2 years or so you could potentially have the 4 best programs on one side of the B1G. Will make for some really good games.

2009 Tanked Dynasty League Champ
2010 Draft Sharks Semi-Pro West Champ
2011 Draft Sharks Pro Champ
2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion