Esports

Megalodon
Sand$: 41,290.60
Anyone a fan?

I still cant see it getting huge. If you arent into a game, you cant really follow it. Counter Strike works well, because its simple... but it's not the big boy on the scene anymore.

I watched the Fortnite Summer Skirmish event tonight... and I enjoyed the heck out of it, but I feel like someone who doesnt understand the game would just be confused. On that note, I used to tell the people I play with that I didn't see competitive Fortnite being entertaining, today proved me wrong. I liked it.

Even as a gamer, I cant follow the Overwatch league. I dont understand the game... competitive league of legends is big, but as a non-player I dont get it.
SandShark
Sand$: 1,105.56
Fortnite is OK, but Counter Strike is still the big boy when it comes to competitive gaming.
Megalodon
TheFanatic wrote:Fortnite is OK, but Counter Strike is still the big boy when it comes to competitive gaming.

I'm not sure it is. There was a League tourney this year that was the most viewed E-Sports event ever by a mile.

I enjoy CS the most to watch I think, there's a lot of strategy involved beyond shoot the guys.
Megalodon
So I've been getting deeper into this since I swapped jobs shortly after I posted this.

High schools are starting to run esports as official sports. Kids are getting scholarships, it's a pretty big deal.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,632.80
und2006 wrote:So I've been getting deeper into this since I swapped jobs shortly after I posted this.

High schools are starting to run esports as official sports. Kids are getting scholarships, it's a pretty big deal.

Born 30 years too early.
Megalodon
tsbgrayghost wrote:
und2006 wrote:So I've been getting deeper into this since I swapped jobs shortly after I posted this.

Born 30 years too early.

Yep, there were games I was good enough to hang with these guys. I'm way over the hill for a gamer now, 32 is ancient for these guys.
Megalodon
Wombo Sports out of Minneapolis is a pretty cool concept.

I've been doing some work with them, including sponsoring their popup esports arena at the Mall of America.

Basically they are mostly pro athletes (plus a few fisherman?). Matt Birk is part of it. They have four Fortnite pros as well. Main idea is to connect these pro athletes to fans via games.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,322.27
Is CS still a strong game? Did CS:GO not take over?
Megalodon
NautArch wrote:Is CS still a strong game? Did CS:GO not take over?

Yeah, it's CS:GO now, still big though. Probably would call it a 2nd tier game behind League of Legends and Fortnite being the obvious two massive titles right now.

Fortnite World Cup next month is the largest esports prize pool in history.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,322.27
und2006 wrote:
NautArch wrote:Is CS still a strong game? Did CS:GO not take over?

Yeah, it's CS:GO now, still big though. Probably would call it a 2nd tier game behind League of Legends and Fortnite being the obvious two massive titles right now.

Fortnite World Cup next month is the largest esports prize pool in history.

Yeah, showing my age a bit there :)
Megalodon
Fortnite World Cup this weekend, $30,000,000 prize pool. Largest esports prize pool in history.

Then next month is DOTA2 The International, which will then pass the World Cup and be the biggest prize pool ever. Lots of money being tossed around at pro gamers right now.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 34,924.56
I was born too soon.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,632.80
Elmagister wrote:I was born too soon.

Preach.
Megalodon
16 year old kid from PA won solos, $3,000,000.

Went from nearly no Twitter followers to 200k in a few hours. Instant celebrity. His Twitch stream will sustain him probably more than that 3 mil going forward... he is going to be huge. Not an exaggeration to say that kids life just changed.
Megalodon
Viewership was solid too. Haven't seen total viewer numbers anywhere. But I checked Twitch and Youtube around game three of the finals and there were 2.2 million watching at that point between those two places.

Streamed on IG, Twitter, and via the in game client as well.

I'm super interested to see how many unique viewers they ended up pulling. The lack of a compelling competition probably hurt it a little too, Bugha dominated from game one, he had a huge first game and just played solid and smart the rest of the way to keep the lead.