Google Stadia

Megalodon
Sand$: 41,290.60
Google unveiled it's new game streaming service today.

PC gamer had some hands on time, and took some latency measures. 166ms... YUCK!

This is going flop like a ton of bricks with that kind of latency.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,059.30
und2006 wrote:Google unveiled it's new streaming service designed to promote & protect youtube today.

^^ Modified it slightly.

Hard to tell wth theyre aiming for, but my best guess based on what little concrete there is, would be that theyre just circling the wagons/ self promoting other arms of their business by creating an extra spoke on their wheel.

Id guess the bulk of content would be: Esports, Team, Arena, PvP, H2H based games

Hope im wrong on both counts tho. Theyve certainly got the muscle to do so much more.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 41,290.60
jamcutpost wrote:
und2006 wrote:Google unveiled it's new streaming service designed to promote & protect youtube today.

^^ Modified it slightly.

Hard to tell wth theyre aiming for, but my best guess based on what little concrete there is, would be that theyre just circling the wagons/ self promoting other arms of their business by creating an extra spoke on their wheel.

Id guess the bulk of content would be: Esports, Team, Arena, PvP, H2H based games

Hope im wrong on both counts tho. Theyve certainly got the muscle to do so much more.

Doubtful, that's exactly where the inadequacy of the service will be most obvious.

Single player games will be easiest for that crazy latency to be hidden.
Supreme Megalodon
und2006 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:

^^ Modified it slightly.

Doubtful, that's exactly where the inadequacy of the service will be most obvious.

Single player games will be easiest for that crazy latency to be hidden.

Perhaps.

Latency can be corrected though - esp if this is as early as it sounds (pricing not even known, yet?)

One thing theyre looking at adopting is having controllers connecting directly to the net - not to the net via h/ware.

Whatever it is, however it works & whatever games come out?

Cant see one of its main goals not being to focus (even) more gamer driven traffic thru YouTube.

Be interesting to see how it all goes either way :)

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
List of games confirmed so far:

DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2
DOOM Eternal
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Destiny 2
GRID
Baldur's Gate 3
Metro Exodus
Thumper
FINAL FANTASY XV
Rage 2
Tomb Raider Trilogy
SAMURAI SHODOWN
Football Manager 2020
Get Packed
The Elder Scrolls Online
Gylt
The Crew 2
The Division 2
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Just Dance
Trials Rising
NBA 2K
Borderlands 3
Farming Simulator 19
Mortal Kombat 11
Darksiders Genesis

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Founders pack available on pre-order now at $129 (£119)

Stadia Pro:
Three months included in the Founder's Edition.
Pro will be $10 (£8.99) p/month otherwise/ normally
Part of the Founder's Edition
Resolution: Up to 4K

Frame rate: 60 FPS
Sound: 5.1 surround sound
Buy games whenever you want: Yes
Additional free games released regularly: Yes, starting with Destiny 2: The Collection
Stadia Pro-exclusive discounts on select game purchases: Yes

Stadia Base:
Coming next year
Resolution: Up to 1080p

Frame rate: 60 fps
Sound: Stereo
Buy games whenever you want: Yes
Access to free games released regularly: No
Stadia Pro-exclusive discounts on selected game purchases: No

- Douglas Adams
Mako Shark
Sand$: 1,446.00
You guys have fun with this, but I'm out for... many reasons.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 65,897.52
I like the idea of making games accessible from anywhere or any system, but I agree with others that it will flop if it focuses on h2h games. That latency is steep, you'd be cursing the lag when you die.

Single person games or games where you work together will be much smoother despite any lag.

But they'd have a winning strategy if they increased the subscription a little but had it include any possible game, instead of having to pay and then pay for the game as well. I know Xbox does this with Xbox live, but you can stop multi-player at any time and still own the games. That's the difference, to me.