New Search Function

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 20,597.92
Its ... sub-optimal.

Really difficult to find old posts without spending 10-15 minutes wading through dozens of unnecessary pages and clicks now that we've lost the ability to narrow down searches.

Im sure it makes the back end easier to deal with, (and im far from resistant to change!) which i can understand.

This feels regressive for regular visitors though.

Q: Is there any way to bring the advanced search back OR// expand the new search function to include at least a couple of additional fields to help (ie posters name, subforum or date parameters)

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Addendum: It also doesnt seem to work very well.

eg.

https://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=348453

I just posted in there about Peyton Barber literally a few minutes ago where the first word in the post is - literally - "Barber"

So, just to see what it would throw up (Months, weeks old or new, as in a cpl mins ago, or anything in between) i just navigated: SEARCH > VIEW YOUR POSTS > "Search these results: Barber"

"No suitable matches were found."

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 32,414.66
Agreed. Not digging it.
Administrator
Sand$: 10,588.70
We’ll continue to look at it but just so everyone knows the reasoning as to why the change. We had some nefarious actors we think trying to bring the site down by repeatedly hitting the search functions with random characters, it could have been a bot or bots too. The search function is heavyweight and really pounds the database each time it is used. With this being crazy time and us needing server horsepower to reliably handle the load, we decided to chop these bad people off at the knees and throw all search functionality straight over to Google’s servers. Now they can’t take us down with their attempts. I know it’s sub optimum from the user side of things. I just want to get us through the start of the season as we play the old cat and mouse game that we do with these bad actors on the web.
Megalodon
Sand$: 44,822.94
Russia is my bet...
Administrator
Sand$: 10,588.70
We've made a modification now that we've had a chance to look at it some more. For the forum only, the new search will appear for anyone with less than 10 posts. The old search for anyone with 10 or more posts. That should hopefully make for a good compromise while also allowing us to keep shipping the bad actors over to Google. The front page of the site will continue to leverage Google for searching no matter the post count.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 32,414.66
Nice.
Supreme Megalodon
Well played, Tony =D> =D>

- Douglas Adams