Point per first down?

Blue Shark
Sand$: 1,182.20
Does anyone know of a site that offers this as a scoring option?

I remember hearing a while back someone stating that this is actually the best way reward players who are actually 'better', the 'go to guys' that coaches and QBs trust. The basic concept is this. Compared to PPR, who is more valuable, the scat back who catches an 11 yard dump off when it's 3rd and 14 or the grinder who gets 3 yards on 3rd and 2? Compared to Standard, if a guy with one touch scores a TD, 6 points is fine, but what about the TE who caught 3 passes on the drive to keep the chains moving during a 2 minute drill?

I think this options would reward the 'grizzled old vets' and sometimes the guy we hear in the scenario that 'they're a better real world option than a fantasy option'. Mostly I think it would see the outliers removed from top ten status.

A quick scan of 2017 (if I have the stats right) would show a few interesting things. For the most part the stars are right where they belong, but a few things that stood out to me in terms of this one stat:

- Keenan Allen would be #1 (followed by A.Brown, M.Thomas, D. Hopkins, J.Jones, L.Fitzgerald, J.Landry, A.Thielen, and A.Green ... in other words, the guys we all know are better players).
- Some guys seem to get bumped up a bit (M.Evans, M.Sanu, M.Goodwin) while some guys back down a bit (T.Hill, G.Tate, M.Jones).

The real place, though, where I think it might matter is in the RBs:
-It really helps (J.Howard, A.Collins, F.Gore) all in the top 10 in getting 1st downs (also M.Lynch, C.Anderson, J.Stewart do a little better) all in top 20.
-It really brings back to earth (Du.Johnson/only 36th) (A.Kamara/21st) (C.McCaffrey/48th).

I suppose the counter arguments will point out that the big play guys will make it up in yardage and TDs, which is fine, but I get the sense that on a game to game basis this will even things out better and make less fantasy games be settled by that one big play or the fact that a team was trailing big and went to certain guys only.

In any event, my league would like to try this option if it exists. Any thoughts?
Tiger Shark
Sand$: 5,578.08
I use it in my MFL league. We moved there last year because we wanted more options and MFL has em. Over the years our league has moved toward a smorgasbord of fantasy options. It's now a keeper, PPR, superflex, TE premium, with IDP league. PP first down along with their 2 PPR and the MFL site allows us to specifically boost TEs so they are just as relevant as QB, RB, WR, etc....

You want strategy? Balance out all positions and it opens up every team's options on how they want to build their team to win. Anytime the term "waiting on" a position is the norm then it's one less strategy option IMO.
Last edited by JezCat on Sat 04.07.2018, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

‘When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.’ -Socrates.
Blue Shark
Sand$: 1,182.20
Thanks ... switching over.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,896.02
Hey as long as the guys in the keague want it do it.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,923.94
mbartolomeo wrote:I remember hearing a while back someone stating that this is actually the best way reward players who are actually 'better', the 'go to guys' that coaches and QBs trust. The basic concept is this. Compared to PPR, who is more valuable, the scat back who catches an 11 yard dump off when it's 3rd and 14 or the grinder who gets 3 yards on 3rd and 2? Compared to Standard, if a guy with one touch scores a TD, 6 points is fine, but what about the TE who caught 3 passes on the drive to keep the chains moving during a 2 minute drill?

To each their own, of course, but I don't think the data supports that characterization. I wasn't aware first downs were an official individual stat, which I would usually require for scoring. And my leagues reward the TE who caught 3 passes on the drive to keep the chains moving with receptions and yards, but again, it's whatever you guys want to do.

OMITB Champion: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2015, 2016
CFL Champion: 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017

"Best available kicker and the Colts D." Rest in peace, Ken.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,230.50

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Mako Shark
Sand$: 1,875.68
Warhaft wrote:
mbartolomeo wrote:I remember hearing a while back someone stating that this is actually the best way reward players who are actually 'better', the 'go to guys' that coaches and QBs trust. The basic concept is this. Compared to PPR, who is more valuable, the scat back who catches an 11 yard dump off when it's 3rd and 14 or the grinder who gets 3 yards on 3rd and 2? Compared to Standard, if a guy with one touch scores a TD, 6 points is fine, but what about the TE who caught 3 passes on the drive to keep the chains moving during a 2 minute drill?

To each their own, of course, but I don't think the data supports that characterization. I wasn't aware first downs were an official individual stat, which I would usually require for scoring. And my leagues reward the TE who caught 3 passes on the drive to keep the chains moving with receptions and yards, but again, it's whatever you guys want to do.

The original phrasing is a little off - simply being a "go to guy" doesn't mean you're better - but it's fairly obvious that there's value in getting a first down on top of the raw yardage attained.

Because of that, part of me likes that a TE who catches three twelve-yard passes, all for first downs, would get more than just 3.6 points (an extra point per first down brings it up to 6.6). A WR who catches one thirty-yard pass, but two three-yard passes that fail to pick up the first would get the same 3.6 points in a standard system, but "only" 4.6 in a system that gives a point per first down.