Extra Draft Picks

Great White Shark
Sand$: 4,829.26
So on my long-time league in which I'm the commissioner, we had an issue come up the other day. Not too long ago we cut back our rosters to 17 players, and we only have a 16 player draft, so people have some flexibility to pick up a player later. We used to have 4 extra spots, but it's been cut down to 1 extra spot.

The problem is this.

We are a keeper league, so you can protect 2-3 players, and if you only protect 2 players you can enter into a supplemental round before the main draft.

A team traded two players away last season before the trade deadline for draft picks. So that team had an extra 2nd and 4th round pick.

Based on that, he would finish the draft with 18 players. Rather than have that happen, I said that he forfeited his final draft pick (13th round). One of the other owners argued that the 13th round draft pick should still be his, and he should be able to trade it. At the time, we were basically at the end of the 12th round, and I told him no, the pick was forfeit and if we wanted to discuss a change in the rules after the draft, we could.

But it got me thinking, that if he had traded a different draft pick, then he would technically still be able to use his 13th pick. So I think his 13th pick would only be forfeit if he had filled his roster by the time he was getting to the 13th round. But should he still be able to trade that pick until the end of the draft, even if he can't use it because it's forfeit?

I think the other owner that was arguing it should be allowed to be traded was doing so just to cause trouble, but I wasn't sure how to handle this draft pick that the owner couldn't use because he already had his roster limit of players.

Thoughts?
Mako Shark
Sand$: 1,875.68
I think you made the right call by saying the rules can't change mid-draft.

I think a better rule should be that you can't do draft pick trades in keeper leagues until keepers are declared (and therefore all draft spots are set) and they must be N-for-N. Those are the rules I have to specifically avoid a situation like this.
Blue Shark
Sand$: 1,130.50
I have this in our rules about "uneven" number of picks:

If you trade away a pick and don't get one in return, you'll be one draft pick short and you'll make up the player at the END of the draft. You're taking your chances by doing this, buyer beware. If you end up with more picks then would fill your roster, then you are done early once your roster is full, any remaining draft picks are removed.

So our draft is 28 rounds (IDP) with keepers sprinkled throughout as we determine keepers based on the round they were drafted minus 4 for each year kept. If you trade away 2 picks and now have just 26 picks, then you'll make up the two you are short after the 28th round. If you acquired 2 extra picks then once you are full at 28 roster spots you are done (say after the 26th round). You won't draft "extra" players.

Hope that helps.
Great White Shark
Eddo wrote:I think you made the right call by saying the rules can't change mid-draft.

I think a better rule should be that you can't do draft pick trades in keeper leagues until keepers are declared (and therefore all draft spots are set) and they must be N-for-N. Those are the rules I have to specifically avoid a situation like this.

I get that. We don't allow "off-season" trade for picks, but the previous season, prior to the trade deadline, you can trade players for draft picks. That's what happened here. That won't change, so the question is whether to allow the extra draft pick as tradeable since up until the owner is actually up for the pick, he could trade one of his players and therefore still be allowed to use his final pick.
Great White Shark
bonscott wrote:I have this in our rules about "uneven" number of picks:

If you trade away a pick and don't get one in return, you'll be one draft pick short and you'll make up the player at the END of the draft. You're taking your chances by doing this, buyer beware. If you end up with more picks then would fill your roster, then you are done early once your roster is full, any remaining draft picks are removed.

So our draft is 28 rounds (IDP) with keepers sprinkled throughout as we determine keepers based on the round they were drafted minus 4 for each year kept. If you trade away 2 picks and now have just 26 picks, then you'll make up the two you are short after the 28th round. If you acquired 2 extra picks then once you are full at 28 roster spots you are done (say after the 26th round). You won't draft "extra" players.

Hope that helps.

Right, the second scenario in which a team has acquired the 2 extra picks is what came into discussion. The idea that those two picks are still the team's picks until he has filled up his roster spots, and therefore he can do whatever he wants with them rather than automatically being "removed."

For instance, say the Player A will have 28 roster spots full by the 26th round, so you say "okay, your last two picks are removed." But then the guy wants to trade his 24th pick and 27th pick to move up in the 24th round to Player B, who may only have 25 roster spots, because he traded away picks previously.

Is that 27th pick still Player A's pick until his roster is full, and therefore he is able to trade it? It sounds like under your rules you could end up with the same situation I have.

Or Player A is supposed to fill up 28 roster spots before the 26th round, but then trades away one of his players for a future pick or to move up. Does Player A get his 27th round pick back?
Blue Shark
Sand$: 1,130.50
My league isn't as complicated, we only allow trading of picks in the 2 weeks pre-season before the draft in late August. So this isn't a scenario that comes up. Once draft day starts the draft order is locked in and that's that.

I guess it could happen but for the most part the trades have "even" number of picks on each side so pretty much everyone has their full compliment. In 20 years I can't think of a time someone had too many picks or not enough. But I have the rule in place just in case. But you post does give me pause to think about scenarios that could happen.