Is This Speaking On Someone's Behalf?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 3
Chum
Sand$: 186.34
So long story short, in my fantasy football league, a rule was written in such a way that I and at least two other people interpreted it differently from the way the commissioner intended it to be read. I wrote an email to the commissioner saying "Since I and at least two other people interpreted this rule differently, I thought I would explain how I am reading it." However, he got very angry (extremely short temper) and told me that I do not speak for other people, so I should not presume to.

I did not name the people who interpreted it differently, and specifically chose not to reveal their names. Also, I know they saw it my way because we all had discussions about it.

Given this set of facts, have I actually spoken on anyone's behalf?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 4,371.23
IMO, Yes. When you had the discussions, you should have ended them with "I am going to contact the commish. Is it fair to say that we are all in agreement"? Then you say your piece and note that x and y also agree with your interpretation.

What women really want is security. I know because every time I approach a woman at a bar, that is what she starts screaming.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 21,384.04
Sure, but who cares? If I say "we" for me and my wife ... I'm speaking for the two if us ... WITHOUT A WRITTEN DEPOSITION. You were speaking your opinion and also said: "I and at least two other people interpreted this rule differently"

I would say that is definitively speaking for (or about the opinions of) those other two people. I also think it is not a freaking court of law, and not "hearsay". If he needs a deposition affirming those opinions, you need a new fantasy commissioner.

In order to make progress, don't argue that point about whether there are two other people who think the rule means "X". Say: I think the rule means "X". I now see you saying it means "Y". Can you check with the league what they think the rule means? It has to be clarified so that everyone is playing the same rules.

There was another thread where a commissioner had set up the FG bonuses incorrectly. Instead of going to 5-points for a 50+ yard FG, it was 3-points PLUS 5-points bonus. One sharp-eyed player was wondering how to take advantage of that 8-point long FG. The reality is that the rule needed to be clarified, and the league's set-up corrected. Evreyone should play by the same CLEAR rules.

There is nothing wrong with making mistakes. You might be the one making a mistake, or the commissioner might be. It might be a mistake in the rules, or it might be a mistake in your interpretation. But the important thing is to straighten it out sooner rather than later.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 45,429.16
IMO, whether you are or aren't isn't relevant.

what IS relevant is that you're not in a good league. if the commissioner of this league is losing his crap over who you are and aren't speaking for.....you're in the wrong league. if you're dealing with BS instead of having fun.....you're in the wrong league.

everything else is minutiae.

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,961.88
I agree, but this guy's entire post history seems to be complaining about his leagues. You're the constant, OP.
Megalodon
Sand$: 43,470.86
You should have Robert Mueller investigate.

Next thing you know...

You'll cop a plea to save your rump, that commish goes down, prison, and your two friends wind up dead.

Its true too. Fake Fox News said so.

On FF sabbatical.
2016: FSNFL, P$B, Wall, Dyno$, Uber, College, DeathMatch, HoP
Megalodon
Sand$: 137,403.95
Sending this to Commissioner's Corner.

Chum
scootm44 wrote:Sending this to Commissioner's Corner.

I can see why, but honestly, since I'm asking about the interpersonal level of the exchange, I think it should be in the General Talk section. I'm not asking about a commissioner ruling or any of the duties of the commissioner. I'm actually asking about my own communication.

Like if this happened outside of a fantasy football league, which other people have pointed out does happen, then there would be no reason to have it in the Commissioner's Corner. This is just something that SO HAPPENED to involve a commissioner.
Chum
Elmagister wrote:I agree, but this guy's entire post history seems to be complaining about his leagues. You're the constant, OP.

That's fair, but reducing to the common denominator isn't the best logic.
Mako Shark
Sand$: 1,875.68
Yes, you are speaking on someone's behalf.

I have no idea why that would matter, though.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,923.94
^ That.

OMITB Champion: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2015, 2016
CFL Champion: 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017

"Best available kicker and the Colts D." Rest in peace, Ken.