Great White Shark
Sand$: 22,110.82
So I've finally reached a point in life where I can resume my BJJ Journey. Outside of the folks that I roll with, I don't have a ton of folks to share this with, so I figured what the h3ll...might as well take advantage of one of the more under-appreciated boards in this forum. :)

As of 2/24/15 I'm a one stripe white belt, so still very much a newb. I'm working guard passes and sweeps and just trying to survive my rolls. I'm going to use this thread to capture questions that come to me throughout the week, so I can look back at it before training and remember what I want to work on or what I want to ask my instructor.

If anyone wants to join me on this journey, feel free!

Questions for this week 2/24

I'd like to see half guard passes for when you establish a cross underhook and when you can't establish the cross underhook.
We learned the Barataplata on Monday. It looks to set up similar to Kit Dale's Great White Grip. I'd like to play with that.
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
Sick class last night. Worked in some catch wrestling techniques to go along with the BJJ. Learned "Angel Wings" and a bicep slicer from side control.

I've been nursing a neck issue, so they wouldn't let anyone put me in the angel wings, but it looks pretty devastating.

During free roll, I had one of those aha moments that come pretty often for newbs. From guard, I think I might have pulled a Da La Riva sweep completely unknowingly. I was like, WTH was that?!?

Anyway, so much to work on. Great roll!
Great White Shark
Half Guard Sweeps

Last edited by mikeraphon on Tue 03.03.2015, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Great White Shark
3/2 Technique

Half Guard Pass to Take the Back

Great roll last night learning this technique. Being a bigger fella (6'1/230lbs) and rolling with someone my size, when my knee would cut over it wouldn't touch the ground on the other side. I'd have to modify it slightly so one knee is pinned to his back while my other knee is basically draped across his belly. That works too though, because your shin drives into his pelvis and it hurts like hell.

Free Roll

rolled with two purple belts and my fellow white belt. 4 mins apiece. Survived 4 minutes underneath "the linebacker" which is progress if you ask me!

Emphasized guard control, half guard sweeps, reguarding and escaping side control.
Great White Shark
A down night for me last night. I probably shouldn't go to a chiropractor two hours before BJJ! I wasn't my aggressive self, and got beat up pretty good.

We worked on several submissions for a crucifix position. Funny thing is, with big fellas you hardly have to get to the submission attempts before the guy taps. Just by virtue of having thicker necks, thicker shoulders etc you have reduced flexibility (at least at this point on the journey) and just getting in position to submit a guy can crank their neck like crazy!

Can't be too mad about getting submitted over and over. You learn just as much if not more from being put in tough spots than from just exerting your will every time. How would you learn to escape a submission if you were never in that position?

Time to rest! We get back after it on Saturday.
Great White Shark
Killer roll on Saturday. Got my second stripe on my white belt! That was cool, but even cooler was that a buddy of mine who started at the same time as me got his too. It's great to have a training partner take the journey with you, and be as committed as you are, so you push each other to reach your goals together. I know there have been nights or weekends when I've told myself "not tonight"...then I think of my buddy and how I can't let him get ahead of me...and there I am rolling.

Anyway...Saturdays are Q&A open mat days, so we worked on escaping side control a lot, escaping razor locks, holding and sweeping from half guard.

I also saw this great video someone put together. It's a compilation of fight videos with Joe Rogan's narrative in the background. Pretty cool stuff.

Great White Shark
This week we're focusing on some lapel chokes. Last night we worked the Clock Choke and the Bow & Arrow Choke and a few variations of entering into these submissions from back control or from the turtle. Here's the Clock Choke when attacking the turtle position.

Here's the Bow and Arrow choke. One variation that my instructor emphasize that you won't see in this video is to keep your feet connected to each other when you shift your weight on your hips and begin to roll back (1:24 minute mark). If you separate your legs as shown, you give your opponent an opportunity to roll into you and escape the position. If you keep your feet together, you limit his options.

Same choke, but from Turtle...

These are pretty powerful chokes, and difficult to escape if done properly. Breaking down someone from their turtle guard can be a pain, so these are useful chokes to have in your aresenal.
Great White Shark
Worked more entries into bow and arrow last night. As I document my progress here, I obviously go to youtube and find videos of the techniques from the night before. Yesterday, my instructor and I traded videos back and forth, pointing out little variations. Last night, he took it upon himself to drill those variations and teach those wrinkles in the technique.

If any of you have trained in BJJ, this is not normal for a gym. Typically a BJJ instructor will discourage you from looking up videos on youtube, and will def discourage bringing them up in class. Our approach is different though; BJJ technique is ever evolving, but concepts remain the same. So the more angles and variations and nuances you add to your game, the more dangerous you are as a fighter. Also, as a white belt it was pretty cool feeling like I contributed in some way to the lesson plan!

Here is the first one we drilled (more so with the knees than with the head). Point was that you don't have to roll over the guy if he's in turtle, you can bring him to you instead, and here's how...

Here's the second video. I got to thinking, couldn't I just roll the guy up on his side from side control, grab the lapel and the leg, and drop back into the choke? Apparently you can...

Anyway, great roll last night. FWIW, I also weighed in at my lightest weight in over 12 years. I was 225 when I met my wife on NYE 2003...balooned up to 280 as we settled into the sedentary suburban life and as the kids started coming...got down to 240 when I started BJJ again in October. I weighed 223 this morning! There's something to be said for rolling around with sweaty dudes for 90 minutes, 3 times a week!!
Great White Shark
Didn't train on Saturday as my instructor had another obligation. Saturday is an optional, open mat day so no big deal. However, the absence of training that third day in the week did hurt come Monday night! I would highly recommend anyone who is series about this lifestyle to make it a point to train three days a week, if only to maintain momentum, conditioning and flexibility. We were all dragging @ss last night!

Techniques - Armbar from guard when opponent defends initial attack

Kind of a long title, but one of the first things you learn in BJJ is the armbar from guard (meaning you're on your back and catch the guy on top of you in an armbar). The second thing you learn is how to defend yourself as the guy on top. So last night was looking at options when you're on the bottom and the guy on top properly defends himself. I haven't found a video yet to demonstrate this, but I'll keep looking.

Essentially, you maintain control of the arm that remains in your grasp after defense. One option you have is to roll into an omoplata. This technique though has you change your angle, drop one leg across the back of his neck, spin your other leg across the face catching his chin in behind your knee and then rolling to your side to submit the opposite arm. Pretty brutal if you've got the flexibility to pull it off!
Great White Shark
Ok, we're going through a series of armbar attacks this week so instead of trying to find a video for each one, I found this video by Jason Scully. His series of videos are pretty cool, because he does a lot of "39 armbars in less than 3 minutes" or "60 drills in 60 seconds" kinds of videos. They aren't meant as instructional, just as demonstration. What it does, is it sparks my imagination and gets me thinking of how many variations and different entries are truly possible...and makes me want to train!!!

So Monday we worked on what he calls the Cross Leg Armbar. This can be found at the :29 mark (29 seconds in).
Last night we worked the Under Armpit Armbar found at the 1:20 mark. As we work more variations, I'll point out which ones we learned. Since Saturday is open mat, I'll share this video with my instructor and ask to work on a couple...the rest of the team better show up or their going to find themselves in a tough spot on Monday!

Great White Shark
I'm not sure when I did, but I tweaked my left knee pretty badly this past week. I'm thinking during golf last Sunday. Anyway, couldn't really roll or do much of anything today. We trained some more armbars...specifically, defenses and breaking down the defenses. Now I'm dealing with bulging disks in my neck to go along with an unstable left knee! good times.

Hopefully my condition improves before Monday because sitting on the sideline sucks!
Great White Shark
3/23

Knee felt good enough to train last night, but I spent most of my team working out of guard. Which essentially means I spent most of my time getting beat up in half guard and side mount as I tried to sweep or otherwise escape. I need the extra work from the bottom, so I look at this as a forcing function to get me out of my comfort zone.

We continued working on breaking down our opponent's arm bar defense. There's a million ways to do this, so similar to my previous post showing 32 different arm bars, here are 10 breaks for the arm bar defense. Specifically, we drilled #1 and #4 from this video last night.

Here's another video with 10 more breaks...we drilled #2, #4 and #6 last night.

I can't find a good video for it, but we did another that resulted in an omoplata. From there, you have a number of options for what you can do. This is where I need some more practice/training. I get there and then freeze up. I'm like, "what do I do NOW?!?" so that'll be one of the questions I ask this weekend.

What submissions present themselves from the omoplata (besides the omoplata itself)?
Great White Shark
Saturday! One on one with my instructor today. It's open mat day and I was the only one who came out. Gotta take advantage of those moments!

Told him I'm having trouble keeping guys from passing my guard, and trouble sweeping from full guard. We worked on a couple concepts, but a few details I hadn't been emphasizing (and which contribute to my issues) are:

- gotta control their hands when you have them in your guard. They're going to use their hands to control your legs or your hips. You can't allow them to, or you must at least fight them through it.

- gotta focus on active hips! gotta counter where he's going with how my hips are positioned to keep him thinking and bailing on his pass attempts.

- if he sets back on his base, extend your legs to make some space, pull him toward you to get him off his haunches, then execute your sweep.

We drilled a few concepts and a few different sweeps from guard so I'd have more to work with. Then we rolled, just working on me stopping my instructor from passing my guard (and sweeping him if I'm able). Even that becomes quite a workout after awhile!

Can't wait to train with the rest of the team on Monday!
Great White Shark
Had to take it easy last night. My neck was just not cooperating. Sucks going to class and not rolling! We worked on some De La Riva sweeps and talked through some inverted guard. This weekend saw two of our teammates get promotions. One guy got his brown belt after 9 years of training (off and on) and another guy who started about the same time as me (in September) got his second stripe on his white belt. Great to see people advancing in the sport! With the new brown belt comes new opportunity to open another gym and further the cause! Anyway, here are some examples of what we learned last night...