Megalodon
Posts: 24935
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002
Sand$: 12,553.48
The Falcons Nation's got your back.

"Just like you got our team's back," said longtime Falcon fan Tandy Garay.

When Falcons head coach Mike Smith flew to quarterback Matt Ryan's defense after a late hit in Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins, it further endeared the fan base to the second-year coach.

So now that Smith faces a $15,000 from the league for his actions, fans are flying to his aid.

"We are officially collecting donations for Coach Mike Smith in honor of his impending fine from the NFL," wrote Hal Moore, an administrator on the fan site the Official Falcons Message Board.

"In the spirit of helping the coach ‘pay his fine,' we are collecting funds to support the charity of Smith's choosing."

And to add a sly little back-handed swipe at a certain former Falcons cornerback who also was involved in Sunday's sideline melee and wears the number 23 on his Redskins jersey, the goal is $2,300 and fans are asked to contribute an extra 23 cents to every donation.

Take that, Meangelo!

The effort began Thursday and had roughly $1,900 in donations by midday Friday, Moore said. The money has come from donation pledges and bids for items being sold on eBay.

Since the NFL won't let fans pay a coach's or player's fines for him, the group is donating the proceeds to the Atlanta Falcons Youth Foundation.

Moore, who was born the year the Falcons came to Atlanta in 1966, said the plan came together as a bit of a joke.

"What can we do to stand up for the coach, since he was standing up for the team?" Moore said on Friday, recalling the origins of this movement. "People started making pledges."

Mark Tucker said people contributing appreciate giving to a worthy cause, especially in Smith's name.

And Tucker said although fans resonate with Smith for more than just the coach's recent sideline daring do, the show of gumption didn't hurt.

"He's going to do something we've never seen before," Tucker said. "There's a Super Bowl in our near future. And seeing Coach Smith get riled up to protect his franchise player ... we just want to send a statement."

Smith, for his part, reiterated on Thursday that "I will always have my players' back," but said he wanted to past the incident.

Garay, who lives in Rebecca in south Georgia and made the first official pledge -- $40.23 -- cautioned not to perceive this gesture as "raising money for a millionaire."

"It's not about that," she said. "We've got people contributing $1.23 because they've been out of work, but they feel that strongly about this."

The fundraising drive should reach its goal by the end of the day Friday, Moore said. Then the original artwork and other items will continue being bid upon on eBay through next week, potentially raising another $500 dollars, he estimated.

Garay just hopes the message is felt.

"We know [the money] is not going to him and he can't even really acknowledge it," she said. "But we're saying, we got your back, coach."


Still think Smith getting fined and not Hall was rather ridiculous. Pretty nice gesture though that stemmed from our teams message board, and even better it is going to charity. I donated $10.23 today. Ironically the guy who got it started was only sort of suggesting it as a joke and then it just kind of took off and people got behind it. Has a fan base ever done this for any sport?
Great White Shark
Posts: 8691
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004
Sand$: 45,082.36
Mike Smith

The fish that got away :cry:
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 27848
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 75,307.38
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:
The Falcons Nation's got your back.

"Just like you got our team's back," said longtime Falcon fan Tandy Garay.

When Falcons head coach Mike Smith flew to quarterback Matt Ryan's defense after a late hit in Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins, it further endeared the fan base to the second-year coach.

So now that Smith faces a $15,000 from the league for his actions, fans are flying to his aid.

"We are officially collecting donations for Coach Mike Smith in honor of his impending fine from the NFL," wrote Hal Moore, an administrator on the fan site the Official Falcons Message Board.

"In the spirit of helping the coach ‘pay his fine,' we are collecting funds to support the charity of Smith's choosing."

And to add a sly little back-handed swipe at a certain former Falcons cornerback who also was involved in Sunday's sideline melee and wears the number 23 on his Redskins jersey, the goal is $2,300 and fans are asked to contribute an extra 23 cents to every donation.

Take that, Meangelo!

The effort began Thursday and had roughly $1,900 in donations by midday Friday, Moore said. The money has come from donation pledges and bids for items being sold on eBay.

Since the NFL won't let fans pay a coach's or player's fines for him, the group is donating the proceeds to the Atlanta Falcons Youth Foundation.

Moore, who was born the year the Falcons came to Atlanta in 1966, said the plan came together as a bit of a joke.

"What can we do to stand up for the coach, since he was standing up for the team?" Moore said on Friday, recalling the origins of this movement. "People started making pledges."

Mark Tucker said people contributing appreciate giving to a worthy cause, especially in Smith's name.

And Tucker said although fans resonate with Smith for more than just the coach's recent sideline daring do, the show of gumption didn't hurt.

"He's going to do something we've never seen before," Tucker said. "There's a Super Bowl in our near future. And seeing Coach Smith get riled up to protect his franchise player ... we just want to send a statement."

Smith, for his part, reiterated on Thursday that "I will always have my players' back," but said he wanted to past the incident.

Garay, who lives in Rebecca in south Georgia and made the first official pledge -- $40.23 -- cautioned not to perceive this gesture as "raising money for a millionaire."

"It's not about that," she said. "We've got people contributing $1.23 because they've been out of work, but they feel that strongly about this."

The fundraising drive should reach its goal by the end of the day Friday, Moore said. Then the original artwork and other items will continue being bid upon on eBay through next week, potentially raising another $500 dollars, he estimated.

Garay just hopes the message is felt.

"We know [the money] is not going to him and he can't even really acknowledge it," she said. "But we're saying, we got your back, coach."


Still think Smith getting fined and not Hall was rather ridiculous. Pretty nice gesture though that stemmed from our teams message board, and even better it is going to charity. I donated $10.23 today. Ironically the guy who got it started was only sort of suggesting it as a joke and then it just kind of took off and people got behind it. Has a fan base ever done this for any sport?



I pretty sure its happened before, cant remember where, but I thinik basically the NFL doesnt allow it and the money eventually went to charity.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 46715
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 42,588.93
Isn't Mike Smith like a mutli-millionaire head coach for a NFL Franchise?

I think he'll be ok.
_______________________________________

#NewJackCity
”If we win games, nobody is going to remember this”
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7972
Joined: Sun Sep 9, 2007
Sand$: 2,363.04
endzoneview wrote:Isn't Mike Smith like a mutli-millionaire head coach for a NFL Franchise?

I think he'll be ok.

It has more to do with the principal.
Chum
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009
Sand$: 132.00
endzoneview wrote:Isn't Mike Smith like a mutli-millionaire head coach for a NFL Franchise?

I think he'll be ok.


Since the NFL won't let fans pay a coach's or player's fines for him, the group is donating the proceeds to the Atlanta Falcons Youth Foundation.

Moore, who was born the year the Falcons came to Atlanta in 1966, said the plan came together as a bit of a joke.

"What can we do to stand up for the coach, since he was standing up for the team?" Moore said on Friday, recalling the origins of this movement. "People started making pledges."

Mark Tucker said people contributing appreciate giving to a worthy cause, especially in Smith's name.

And Tucker said although fans resonate with Smith for more than just the coach's recent sideline daring do, the show of gumption didn't hurt.

"He's going to do something we've never seen before," Tucker said. "There's a Super Bowl in our near future. And seeing Coach Smith get riled up to protect his franchise player ... we just want to send a statement."

Smith, for his part, reiterated on Thursday that "I will always have my players' back," but said he wanted to past the incident.

Garay, who lives in Rebecca in south Georgia and made the first official pledge -- $40.23 -- cautioned not to perceive this gesture as "raising money for a millionaire."

"It's not about that," she said. "We've got people contributing $1.23 because they've been out of work, but they feel that strongly about this."

The fundraising drive should reach its goal by the end of the day Friday, Moore said. Then the original artwork and other items will continue being bid upon on eBay through next week, potentially raising another $500 dollars, he estimated.

Garay just hopes the message is felt.

"We know [the money] is not going to him and he can't even really acknowledge it," she said. "But we're saying, we got your back, coach."

Read the article, yo
_______________________________________

No dude, he gets the Snicklefritz
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7972
Joined: Sun Sep 9, 2007
Sand$: 2,363.04
jokerswild1130 wrote:
zodiak wrote:
endzoneview wrote:Isn't Mike Smith like a mutli-millionaire head coach for a NFL Franchise?

I think he'll be ok.

It has more to do with the principal.


How about taking those donations raised and giving them to an actual worthy cause instead of a millionaire coach to pay his fine deserved or undeserved.

Because it is their money to use as they see fit.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7425
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009
Sand$: 3,212.00
I love this. I think Coach Smith did absolutely nothing wrong. He stuck up for his team mates after attempting initially to keep the peace. Good Job Falcons Nation. :)
_______________________________________

Image
CALL EM AS I SEE EM
President of JStew, Blount & Pettigrew Fan Club
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 46715
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 42,588.93
Oh Bengals fans, why don't you do the same for Ochocinco every week?
_______________________________________

#NewJackCity
”If we win games, nobody is going to remember this”
Whale Shark
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Aug 3, 2008
Sand$: 4,098.94
I hope the people that donated are taking food out of their own kids' mouths for such a worthy cause.
_______________________________________

the bag's on you motherF'er!

QBs = Brady
RBs = I. Crowell, M. Ingram, CJ Anderson, James White, T. Rawls
WRs = OBJ, J. Crowder, S. Watkins, W. Snead, R. Cobb, R. Anderson
TEs = Gronk, D. Allen
Def = Pats Def
K = Crosby
Megalodon
Posts: 24935
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002
Sand$: 12,553.48
jokerswild1130 wrote:
zodiak wrote:
endzoneview wrote:Isn't Mike Smith like a mutli-millionaire head coach for a NFL Franchise?

I think he'll be ok.

It has more to do with the principal.


How about taking those donations raised and giving them to an actual worthy cause instead of a millionaire coach to pay his fine deserved or undeserved.


You mean like a charity? Which is actually being done.
User avatar
Blue Shark
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006
Sand$: 2,305.00
anybody who donates $$$ to this guy has got issues.
you want to donate money for somebody...watch the video on the top right on this website...this wonderful family needs $$$ more than anybody!!!!!!!!

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/fam ... etail.html
Last edited by jk47 on Fri 11.13.2009, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007
Sand$: 4,733.32
Sweet baby Cheesus.

Read the article. I know the internet age has given you all ADD but seriously?

The money is going to charity, not to the fine.
_______________________________________

frig You
QB: Cam
RB: Howard, McKinnon, Jones, Abdullah, Kamara, Rob Smith, D. Williams
WR: Hopkins, Jeffrey, Theilen, Sanders
TE: Brate, Olsen
D/ST: Rams
K: Elliot
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 39947
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005
Sand$: 8,735.44
kmstyf wrote:Sweet baby Cheesus.

Read the article. I know the internet age has given you all ADD but seriously?

The money is going to charity, not to the fine.


So they need their millionaire coach to get fined before they get motivation to give to charity? Great...
User avatar
Blue Shark
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006
Sand$: 2,305.00
anybody who donates $$$ to this guy has got issues.
you want to donate money for somebody...watch the video on the top right on this website...this wonderful family needs $$$ more than anybody!!!!!!!!

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/fam ... etail.html