Cowboys no longer "America's Team"

Great White Shark
Sand$: 14,191.68
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ee9c/article/survey-says-packers-not-cowboys-now-americas-team?module=HP11_content_stream

If you don't already, you should know it was the fine folks at NFL Films who dubbed the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" more than three decades ago. There wasn't any quantitative research to support the nickname, just that then-location director Bob Ryan noticed plenty of Cowboys fans at stadiums across the country.

As legendary Films narrator John Facenda said at the opening of the team's 1978 yearbook highlight: "They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, America's Team."

Not anymore, they aren't.

A generation later, actual data exists and reveals the Cowboys aren't "America's Team," having been replaced by the Green Bay Packers, according to Public Policy Polling's newest national survey.

The survey showed 22 percent of voters indicated the Packers as their favorite NFL team, followed by 11 percent for the Cowboys and 8 percent for the Chicago Bears, New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers. In fact, PPP's survey results said the Cowboys actually are America's least favorite team with 22 percent of the vote.

So what gives? What are some possible reasons for the Cowboys' unfavorable standing with the country?

Tony Romo's very essence as a quarterback might have something to do with it; his past relationship with Jessica Simpson probably doesn't help. Perhaps it's that Jimmy Johnson's "How 'bout them Cowboys" slogan growing more annoying over the years. Maybe fans don't like the vibe they get from owner Jerry Jones. Who knows?

As for the Packers and their popularity, they have the small-town charm, the most polite fans you'll ever encounter and a rich history and tradition. They also play in the mecca of NFL stadiums, and it probably doesn't hurt that they're the reigning Super Bowl champions.

So, even if the Packers aren't your favorite team, what is there to hate (Bears fans notwithstanding)?

IMO, the Cowboys never have been "America's Team". It's always been the Packers.

The Tank's reigning POS...and damn proud of it!!
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 1,732.00
IMO, the Cowboys never have been "America's Team". It's always been the Packers.

No, america hates them too. More so if they keep winning. There is no America's team.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 62,537.39
The closest thing to "America's Team" is the Yankees.
Sand$: 7,371.52
i truly despise that term when talking about anything other than the Olympics or other world competitions.
Sand$: 41,842.21
Who cares?

Move this crap to the Packers team thread.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 767.46
FLPatsFan wrote:i truly despise that term when talking about anything other than the Olympics or other world competitions.

While we're on the subject, America does not run on Dunkins either.
Megalodon
Sand$: 31,165.72
FutBol wrote:
FLPatsFan wrote:i truly despise that term when talking about anything other than the Olympics or other world competitions.

:lol:
Last edited by SonOfDad on Fri 12.23.2011, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Sand$: 7,371.52
SonOfDad wrote:
FutBol wrote:

:x :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Great White Shark
Sand$: 909.98
Unless 51% or more of America favors one team, there is no 'America's team'. If there were any team that would qualify outside those parameters, it would have to be the Patriots. I mean, hard to get more American than a football team named the Patriots, right?

As an aside, this survey only had 700 participants. Talk about half-azzed science...
Megalodon
Sand$: 60.92

So? I'm glad you think that..who cares? Just because someone found 700 people in different parts of the union does not change anything, the lights will be brighter in Dallas than anywhere else and the Cowboys will be the most talked about team from both sides of the aisle....the Romo remark made laugh though..like he has something do with the " Cowboys losing their luster"....the remark was made at a different time and under a complete different NFL..it was a moniker made by voice over and it took hold by millions...cracks me up that you envy the Cowboys so much that you brought this stupid arse survey to say 'HERE LOOK AT US" ....fact is every team has it's followers, the Cowboys just get marketed better by Jones and the team accepted by the football crazy culture there in Texas.....no more ..no less

Personally, I have always hated the name and thought it was stupid and puts more pressure on the Dallas players and it makes about as much sense to me as Green Bay being called "Titletown" when 3 other organizations including Dallas have won more Championships than Green Bay in the Super Bowl era, if anything the Steeler fans have far more right to the name than the Pack who's been relevant about 10 seasons out of the last 40.. ..so have fun with trying to change history ..that's all it is..history...no Cowboy fan in the right mind will tell you that the Boys of the last 15 years have come close to the 2 dynasty periods of the organization...