Megalodon
Sand$: 64,879.06
Well this thread took an entertaining turn... but I don't want it to turn into a Patriots only thread and get moved/locked.

If people don't think that a dominant team reduces FA talent available to division rivals (without overpaying), then I guess my hypothesis was incorrect. If people do think there is some merit, please point out other dominant teams and the division rivals that had to overpay.

As I've said, I think IND and GB benefited from this for a time. PIT to an extent too. If you didn't choose the front runner, people questioned whether you were just in it for they money and didn't want to win.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 116,783.06
Cyguy84 wrote:Well this thread took an entertaining turn... but I don't want it to turn into a Patriots only thread and get moved/locked.

If people don't think that a dominant team reduces FA talent available to division rivals (without overpaying), then I guess my hypothesis was incorrect. If people do think there is some merit, please point out other dominant teams and the division rivals that had to overpay.

As I've said, I think IND and GB benefited from this for a time. PIT to an extent too. If you didn't choose the front runner, people questioned whether you were just in it for they money and didn't want to win.

The Browns signed Dwayne Bowe because they were desperate and run poorly.
Dwayne Bowe signed with the Browns because they offered the most money and he didn't care about winning.
Neither of those things had anything to do with Pittsburgh and Baltimore being good.

Good teams are run well. Bad teams are not. There are a few of the former, a lot of the latter, and some that sway in between. The teams that are ran well don't do everything right either. They minimize the damage from their mistakes, leverage their strengths, and focus their resources on surrounding their identified core with the tools to be successful. Bad teams either can't stick with a plan or didn't have one to start with.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,676.36
Anybody think the pats can win another super bowl before Brady retires in 13 years?

Tell me fans of the AFC football teams, that are not tge iatriots, how you feel and what you think.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,024.76
Re: Are the Patriots to blame for the AFC East?

Cyguy84 wrote:I don't want it to turn into a Patriots only thread and get moved/locked.

- If the answer to thread title is "Yes"? Then its clearly a pats only thread.
- If the answer is "No"? Then its a poorly worded thread title.

Not knocking it, just pointing out the dichotomy .

------------------------------------------

1) When you have a HoF HC & HoF QB for almost 20yrs? Its probably more easier to get things right than wrong.
If you dont believe me? Wait till theyre gone.
2) The other 3 teams are piss poor.

I'll leave others to make their points, but that really is the boring, mundane answer and its no more complex than that.

Still ... not an offseason without an NEP thread in the top 5. So at least we ticked that box :)
Last edited by jamcutpost on Mon 07.22.2019, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,862.10
rugger48 wrote:Anybody think the pats can win another super bowl before Brady retires in 13 years?

Tell me fans of the AFC football teams, that are not tge iatriots, how you feel and what you think.

I think the Pats can win 13 super bowls if Brady doesn't retire for 13 more years, since at that point his pact with the devil will be so obvious to everyone there would be no point in him hiding it anymore.

The three other AFC teams with somewhat historic success in the Brady era (Broncos, Steelers, Colts) are either horribly run (Elway) horribly coached (Steelers) or both (Colts, though this team feels like it might be on the rise again).

The rest of the AFC is very hit or miss, no other organization has the same combination of solid front office/ownership, outstanding coaching, and outstanding QB. Sure, there will be other teams who start to look frisky, and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if KC turns out to be the next 'dynasty' (as opposed to DYNASTY) for a little while. Still, until the Patriots lose either or both of Brady and Belichick there's no good reason to assume they won't be in the AFCCG every year.
Supreme Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:1) When you have a HoF HC & HoF QB for almost 20yrs? Its probably more easier to get things right than wrong.

I'll leave others to make their points, but that really is the boring, mundane answer and its no more complex than that.

Yep. There are many different ways to build a successful team and none of them involve anything the rest of the AFC East has done over the last 2 decades. Has nothing to do with the Pats. They'd still be incompetent without them around.
Sand$: 43,675.49
Also ownership gets the F out of the way unlike the other 3 teams in the division
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,862.10
OarChambo wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:1) When you have a HoF HC & HoF QB for almost 20yrs? Its probably more easier to get things right than wrong.

Yep. There are many different ways to build a successful team and none of them involve anything the rest of the AFC East has done over the last 2 decades. Has nothing to do with the Pats. They'd still be incompetent without them around.

Maybe, but the JETS actually went to two AFCCGs in a row with Ryan as the coach. Sure the wheels came off pretty shortly after, but if the Patriots were not the Patriots some of these teams would have been 'good', because that's the way we usually talk about playoff teams.

Some of those coaches/FOs would have had more time to screw things up, or get things right, or just kind of be there. But for as much as it's easy (and basically correct) to call out the other 3 organizations, if the Patriots were 'just another team' the way we look at them would be different.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 32,151.66
ubertaco wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

Maybe, but the JETS actually went to two AFCCGs in a row with Ryan as the coach. Sure the wheels came off pretty shortly after, but if the Patriots were not the Patriots some of these teams would have been 'good', because that's the way we usually talk about playoff teams.

Some of those coaches/FOs would have had more time to screw things up, or get things right, or just kind of be there. But for as much as it's easy (and basically correct) to call out the other 3 organizations, if the Patriots were 'just another team' the way we look at them would be different.

They didn't last specifically because of the way the org was run. They mismanaged their cap terribly. Then Miami hired their cap architect.
Supreme Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

Blind squirrels and nuts. I don't know how they settled on him, but peak Revis was a difference making weapon that quite simply doesn't exist on that side of the ball anymore. They had 10 guys to basically cover 50-60% of the field and I only say that with some hyperbole. They couldn't get over the hump and crashed as violently as they did because they didn't have the necessary support around him when he regressed from superhuman to just damn good.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 11,486.78
OarChambo wrote:No, there's no truth to this - all 3 of those franchises have been unmitigated disasters by their own doing.

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this topic.

The other three teams in the AFC East have been dumpster fires for many years now. They can't seem to turn it around for a variety of reasons.

Deep Crimson
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 33,305.72
I miss the guy who you tossed some sand to and he'd create a banner for you....like a "Die Thread Die" banner that's needed now.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,224.58
Cause and effect

in football ?

you don't say

Simple reason is everybody thinks they're drafting the next Brady or manning

Instead of thinking about running a quality organization from the top down

simple fixes, stupid owners, never works, unless you drafted Peyton
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,676.36
ubertaco wrote:
rugger48 wrote:Anybody think the pats can win another super bowl before Brady retires in 13 years?

I think the Pats can win 13 super bowls if Brady doesn't retire for 13 more years, since at that point his pact with the devil will be so obvious to everyone there would be no point in him hiding it anymore.

The three other AFC teams with somewhat historic success in the Brady era (Broncos, Steelers, Colts) are either horribly run (Elway) horribly coached (Steelers) or both (Colts, though this team feels like it might be on the rise again).

The rest of the AFC is very hit or miss, no other organization has the same combination of solid front office/ownership, outstanding coaching, and outstanding QB. Sure, there will be other teams who start to look frisky, and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if KC turns out to be the next 'dynasty' (as opposed to DYNASTY) for a little while. Still, until the Patriots lose either or both of Brady and Belichick there's no good reason to assume they won't be in the AFCCG every year.

Pact with the devil, gets a 4 game suspension.
Megalodon
Sand$: 39,884.78
He will delete all the text messages and then stamp on his phone. No evidence of any communication with Devil.