2006 New York Giants

Megalodon
Sand$: 9,948.34
Just trying to get a central location for all the NYG fans (and anyone else for that matter) to talk about the offseason moves and the future:

FAs ACQUIRED
S.Madison CB -- big upgrade for this secondary at a BARGAIN!!
RW McQuarters CB -- more depth at a very thin position. Return ability a plus.
J.Bell CB -- we signed a CB from the Texans with 11 career defensive tackles in six seasons. wth :roll:
Q.Harris FS
W.Demps FS -- former starter alongside Ed Reed in Baltimore. Hopefully some skills rubbed off!!

FAs TARGETED
L.Arrington LB -- would make this defensive unit a scary one. C'mon front office, get this deal done!!

PLAYERS RESIGNED
C.Morton PR/KR
B.Whitfield OT
T.Hasselbeck QB

PLAYERS LOST
K.Clancy DT (Ari) -- we'll need to replace that depth. Maybe S.Adams will come to the Big Apple for a year :D
J.Whittle OL (Minn) -- no biggie
S.Williams SS (Car) -- one of the old-school boys from back in the Sehorn/Armstead days

2006 OUTLOOK
DEFENSE: Gotta love the defensive front anchored by "bookends" Strahan and Osi. William Joseph and Fred Robbins at DT are both pretty solid, but we could use another run-stuffer to rotate in. The LB corp has a very good MLB in Antonio Pierce, and two above-average starters on the outside in Barrett Green and Carlos Emmons. Acquiring Lavar would make their front seven one of the best in the NFC. Sam Madison is not a huge upgrade overall, but is a big upgrade to that secondary. Corey Webster is gonna be pressed into the CB2 role, but management believe he is ready. I personally like SS Gibril Wilson....he's got alot of promise. Any upgrade to this unit would help, particularly at CB.

OFFENSE: All the promise in the world at QB....Tiki needs to stay at a high level, despite some experts saying he's getting to that age when RBs wear down. Plax had a good first year (76rec, 1214yds, 7TD), but tended to dissappear at times, especially in the big games. Shockey is fast becoming one of the top 3 TEs in the league -- the talent is there, but his work ethic and dedication will decide that. The line is in good, but not great, shape. McKenzie, Petitgout, and Whitfield are all solid at OT. Rich Seubert is a good OG, but C.Snee is suspect. Need some help/backup at C with Shawn O'Hara as the only snapper on the roster
Last edited by Renegade on Wed 03.15.2006, 10:36, edited 11 times in total.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 8,735.44
Only major weakness is secondary. What is your DT and offensive line situation?
Megalodon
main post edited to reflect....

Smashraj84 wrote:Only major weakness is secondary. What is your DT and offensive line situation?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 25,491.28
Giants | McQuarters agrees to terms
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:27:52 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports free agent CB R.W. McQuarters (Lions) has agreed to three-year, $6 million deal with the New York Giants. The deal includes a $2 million signing bonus.

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:Giants | McQuarters agrees to terms
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:27:52 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports free agent CB R.W. McQuarters (Lions) has agreed to three-year, $6 million deal with the New York Giants. The deal includes a $2 million signing bonus.

NICE!

I've always loved this cat's play-making ability, even since his days with the 9ers. Any addition to the NYG secondary is a good thing....
Supreme Megalodon
JayP37 wrote:I've always loved this cat's play-making ability, even since his days with the 9ers. Any addition to the NYG secondary is a good thing....

I don't think he's all that good, but as you said any addition is a good thing.
Supreme Megalodon
JayP37 wrote:I've always loved this cat's play-making ability, even since his days with the 9ers. Any addition to the NYG secondary is a good thing....

Megalodon
Smashraj84 wrote:

He's got more experience than everyone on that squad except Madison, and he's a good return threat.
Megalodon
I'm going to bed....a quick bedtime prayer before i go:

Lord, please bless me with Lavar's presence in Big Blue next year......amen
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,426.40
I like the moves so far. It shores up their secondary somewhat. I mean, anything is an upgrade from last year. Madison and Webster/McQuarters should be passable, and I also like Gibril Wilson. He hits hard and his always around the ball.

I'm torn on Arrington. If they could fit him into the 4-3 system and he has his head straightened out, he could be huge. But he could also take up a lot of cap space and money and make 50 tackles all year. So it's a risk. The Giants usually don't like those kinds of risk. Although they did go for Plax last eyar.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,900.78
Posted this in the Arrington thread, from bigblueinteractive.com...

LB LaVar Arrington Update: The Journal News is reporting that unrestricted free agent LB LaVar Arrington, who was recently waived by the Washington Redskins, was back home in Washington yesterday. The paper says Arrington's agent and the Giants have held preliminary contract talks and are expected to hold more serious talks today. His agent is also scheduling other visits for Arrington according to The Journal News. The Dayton Daily News reports that the Bengals are talking to Arrington's agent.

Giants' Vice President of Communications Pat Hanlon told the Hartford Courant said that rumors that a deal between Arrington and the Giants was close and that the deal would be a 6-year, $35 million contract are "utter fabrications."

The New York Post is reporting that there may be a conflict of opinion within the Giants' organization over Arrington. The paper says the front office may be more interested in Arrington than the coaching staff, with the latter being unsure if Arrington fits into the Giants' defensive schemes. "It doesn't fit," one source told The Post. Arrington's agent also told The Post, "I don't know if the Giants thing is going to work out or not."

Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,900.78
And this, re: the DL...

The Daily News is reporting that the Giants are interested in unrestricted agent defensive tackles Rocky Bernard (Seattle Seahawks) and Russell Davis (Arizona Cardinals). Bernard was in Kansas City yesterday while Davis was in Seattle. Bernard left the Chiefs without a deal.

The agent for unrestricted free agent defensive tackles Sam Adams (Buffalo Bills) and Grady Jackson (Green Bay Packers) told The Daily News that he does not expect the Giants to meet his clients' contract demands.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,834.72
Good analysis, I think the Giants need to add some dept at WR and can use a few Roll players on offense, like a Vet RB or WR. I agree they still need to address the O-Line either though the draft of FA.

Going into the draft I think they are in good shape and can look to add dept or upgrade a postion.

Writer of DFS Content for Fantasy Sharks
Winner of the 2014 FSWA Football Article of the Year (Online)
Fantasy Sports Writer Association Member
Follow @FtsySharksDFS
Megalodon
Who do you think the G-Men will target in the 1st round?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,834.72
JayP37 wrote:Who do you think the G-Men will target in the 1st round?

I think if since they've added two people to the secondary they may go elsewhere in the 1st round. I would like them to draft a receiver although the WR class this year is week.

If any of these three are still available when it's the Giants Turn, I hope they jump on it.

Chad Jackson, WR
Santonio Holmes, WR
Sinorice Moss, WR

Writer of DFS Content for Fantasy Sharks
Winner of the 2014 FSWA Football Article of the Year (Online)
Fantasy Sports Writer Association Member
Follow @FtsySharksDFS