User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003
Sand$: 38,493.42
JayP37 wrote:
Sooo...back to this other league: should I take Choo for Scherzer if the guy rejects Headley/Fowler?


I wouldn't.
I like Choo a lot (have him in one league) and I absolutely think he can maintain his current pace, which results in career highs in HRs and runs (and near the top of the league in runs scored), but then you've got more OFs than you can use. I like Choo more than Jackson (when he comes off the DL), but the margin isn't huge. And, while it's always possible to find useful pitchers in the free agent pool, you're not going to find one who can match Scherzer's K potential.

In a vacuum, it's a reasonable deal for both sides. But with the roster you've got, which includes an already strong OF, I'd only move Scherzer if it brought back a significant upgrade at one of the weak spots - 3B or SS.
_______________________________________

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders
Megalodon
Posts: 15858
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004
Sand$: 10,116.96
How about Alex Cobb for Headley? Would that be better than giving up Max for Headley/Fowler?
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003
Sand$: 38,493.42
JayP37 wrote:How about Alex Cobb for Headley? Would that be better than giving up Max for Headley/Fowler?


It wouldn't be better, as I think Cobb can offer a better ERA and WHIP the rest of the way, while giving you good (not great) strikeout numbers.

I like Cobb more than Scherzer for the rest of the season*, but it's a small margin, and I'd be willing to move Scherzer straight up for Headley, getting Fowler was just a very nice bonus.

I've got Headley at #5 or #6 on my 3B list for the rest of the season. (Cabrera, Beltre, Longoria, Wright, Headley/Machado)

*I think Scherzer will finish the season in the top 10 in Ks with a mid-3 ERA, but his WHIP won't stay where it is, and he's had an extremely easy schedule so far. I'm not calling him a sell-high, as the strikeouts are certainly legit, but there's no chance of maintaining the sub-1 WHIP.



TL:DR summary - Moving Scherzer for Headley and Fowler would be great, and I'd be willing to move him for just Headley, and I like both options more than moving Cobb for Headley.
_______________________________________

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders
Megalodon
Posts: 15858
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004
Sand$: 10,116.96
Appreciate all the help, guys. He took the Scherzer-for-Fowler/Headley offer...I guess now we just wait and see if it plays out in my favor :D
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20340
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012
Sand$: 23,310.34
JayP37 wrote:Appreciate all the help, guys. He took the Scherzer-for-Fowler/Headley offer...I guess now we just wait and see if it plays out in my favor :D

Good trade since you filled the hole at 3rd base...plus you grabbed the waca guy. When you are good with FAs you can afford to do things like this...
_______________________________________

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Megalodon
Posts: 15858
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004
Sand$: 10,116.96
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:
JayP37 wrote:Appreciate all the help, guys. He took the Scherzer-for-Fowler/Headley offer...I guess now we just wait and see if it plays out in my favor :D

Good trade since you filled the hole at 3rd base...plus you grabbed the waca guy. When you are good with FAs you can afford to do things like this...


unfortunately, that's the one league I missed out on him :P
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20340
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012
Sand$: 23,310.34
JayP37 wrote:
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:
JayP37 wrote:Appreciate all the help, guys. He took the Scherzer-for-Fowler/Headley offer...I guess now we just wait and see if it plays out in my favor :D

Good trade since you filled the hole at 3rd base...plus you grabbed the waca guy. When you are good with FAs you can afford to do things like this...


unfortunately, that's the one league I missed out on him :P

damn lol but at least you got Liriano. And i know some more guys will pop up...Beachy is probably gone too huh
_______________________________________

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"