Cuts & Signings

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 39,460.18
Orpheus Roye-DL-Browns Feb. 27 - 4:35 pm et

Browns released DE Orpheus Roye.

Cleveland is tearing apart its defensive line and will likely try to rebuild it mostly through the draft. Roye, 35, would've been on the hook for a $3 million salary in 2008. He accounted for 31 tackles and 0.5 sacks last year.

Megalodon
Sand$: 44,020.16
jetsman2806 wrote:Orpheus Roye-DL-Browns Feb. 27 - 4:35 pm et

Browns released DE Orpheus Roye.

Cleveland is tearing apart its defensive line and will likely try to rebuild it mostly through the draft. Roye, 35, would've been on the hook for a $3 million salary in 2008. He accounted for 31 tackles and 0.5 sacks last year.

He rarely practiced. He couldn't or wouldn't play every down. I like the guy, but his knees are getting smoked, and he ain't going to play for less money.

On FF sabbatical.
2016: FSNFL, P$B, Wall, Dyno$, Uber, College, DeathMatch, HoP
Megalodon
Crennel just got a contract extension. Cool. I pretty much like the guy.

Posted: 01/28/2008
Browns, Crennel agree to two-year extension
Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Coach Romeo Crennel has agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension with the Cleveland Browns, his agent said Monday night.

Cleveland Browns
Complete coverage:
Video | Schedule | Stats
Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
Official team site: ClevelandBrowns.com

The 60-year-old Crennel, the league's oldest coach, had two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed with the Browns in 2005. His agent, Joe Linta, said the sides have agreed in principle to the extension but that it has not yet been signed.

Crennel began the 2007 season on the hot seat after going just 10-22 in his first two seasons. However, Crennel, who won three Super Bowl rings as New England's defensive coordinator before coming to Cleveland, guided the Browns to a 10-6 mark -- their best since 1999 -- and the club just missed making the AFC playoffs.

The extension is not a surprise. Last month, general manager Phil Savage said the Browns intended to reward Crennel for turning the team around after years of disarray.

"He really deserves an extension," rookie tackle Joe Thomas said. "He did a great job this year and you can see that his plan is kind of taking hold, what his vision was when he first got hired.

"It will be nice for him to finally not feel the heat from everybody."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

On FF sabbatical.
Supreme Megalodon
Browns GM: We're ready for Brady Quinn era

Browns GM Phil Savage says he's ready for the Brady Quinn era if Derek Anderson doesn't accept the team's multi-year contract offer.

Savage doesn't expect Anderson to return if he passes on the three-year proposal currently on the table. The Browns don't plan to match any deal Anderson gets in restricted free agency. "We can look in the mirror and know we put a strong offer out there," Savage said. The Browns would be happy to take the first- and third-round picks they'd receive when Anderson signs an offer sheet, and appoint Brady Quinn as their 2008 starting QB.

Feb. 28 - 5:58 pm et

source : rotoworld.com

Supreme Megalodon
Donte' Stallworth-WR-Browns Mar. 1 - 5:04 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have reached agreement with Donte' Stallworth.

Terms aren't known yet, but it's a great fit for both sides. Cleveland gets depth and speed at wideout, while Stallworth fits best as a supporting player. He'll make the Browns tough to defend lining up with Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, and Joe Jurevicius. His fantasy numbers should uptick from his Pats days because he'll see the field more, but don't expect his first 1,000-yard season.

Chum
Sand$: 56.00
Solid pickup with Stallworth. He seemed to be out of place in NE. He will be a good complement to what the Browns currently have. Picking up some beef on the Defense is ok as well. Although Rodgers is older and on the downside of his career, he should be a solid player for them.

Browns in the playoffs in 08/09...
Supreme Megalodon
William Joseph-DL-Giants Mar. 4 - 6:14 pm et

Free agent DL William Joseph is scheduled to visit the Browns Sunday, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Joseph was a disappointment in New York after being taken in the first-round in 2003. He'd be yet another bid bodied addition to their defensive line.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 67,956.71
jetsman2806 wrote:William Joseph-DL-Giants Mar. 4 - 6:14 pm et

Free agent DL William Joseph is scheduled to visit the Browns Sunday, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Joseph was a disappointment in New York after being taken in the first-round in 2003. He'd be yet another bid bodied addition to their defensive line.

:shock: Hadn't heard this..More beefcake? It's the old, Romeo luvs the big guys luv fest. He believes he can turn around anyone who underachieves. Hope he's right. Joseph should come cheap though.

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
A little update of the Shaun Rodgers and Stallworth acquisitions for the Browns:

Cleveland Browns' Shaun Rogers the team's new middle man
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

In Detroit, Shaun Rogers was seen as a player with multiple issues.

The Lions were disenchanted with his attitude, health, work ethic and weight. They didn't want to pay the $17.5 million due on the last three years of Rogers' contract.

But Rogers pledged on Tuesday to make the Browns look good for trading for him.

"Whatever happens in the past stays in the past," Rogers said. "I'm just excited to get a new look, develop a new reputation and just move on."

The Browns gave up their third-round pick and starting cornerback Leigh Bodden for Rogers on Friday. The trade became official when Rogers passed his Cleveland physical on Tuesday.

Weight has always been an issue with Rogers, he said, since he tipped the scales at 10 pounds, 1 ounce as a baby. The Lions tried assigning Rogers a prescribed weight and also tried removing that standard to encourage him to stay in shape voluntarily.

Listed as 6-4 and 340 pounds, Rogers sometimes played closer to 400 pounds, insiders said. He joked Tuesday he plays at "whatever is comfortable" to him.

"I've managed to play good football throughout my career and life," Rogers said. "I don't think it's going to be an issue here. We're all going to be in agreement. Whatever [the weight limit] turns out to be, I'm going to meet those standards and play good ball."

Rogers, who turns 29 on March 12, said he intended to participate in the Browns' off-season conditioning program at the onset on March 17.

"We're constantly working towards making sure everything is in place to lead off to a good start for myself," he said.

According to at least one report, Rogers was able to block a trade to the Cincinnati Bengals by declining to postpone the deadline for a $1 million roster bonus due him on March 1. The report said Rogers did agree to it for the Browns. He declined to comment on the report Tuesday.

On the field, Rogers has to learn the 3-4 scheme employed by coach Romeo Crennel.

"When you watch Shaun play, you see he's a dominant guy along the line of scrimmage," Crennel said. "We feel Shaun still has a lot of upside and will be a good fit in improving this defense. We were just upstairs watching some tape. Shaun has played predominantly inside and on the right side. I think we'll see Shaun playing both spots for us, because all our guys have some versatility where they play inside and at the end. We're gonna get the most out of him."

Rogers said: "I just want to be somewhere I can make plays and be effective defensively. I still think I can be effective on the outside as well as inside.

"This is going to be my first time in a 3-4. We've run variations, but that hasn't been our base defense. I've been over the nose, but not in our base. I'm looking forward to the challenges and maybe making a mark in the 3-4. I think with my size and some of my abilities I have, I can adapt well, but until I get out there and play it, I won't have a good answer for that."

The new Browns' defensive front will feature a combination of Rogers, newly acquired Corey Williams, and holdovers Robaire Smith and Shaun Smith. General Manager Phil Savage said the two other spots will be filled by Louis Leonard and 2007 draft picks Mel Purcell and/or Chase Pittman.

Stallworth feels at home:

The Browns are receiver Donte Stallworth's fourth team in four years, but he feels he's found a home at last.

"I'm excited. These guys won 10 games last year. They've got a lot of young talent. I'm excited to bring in what I have and be a part of it," Stallworth said in a conference call with Cleveland media on Tuesday.

Stallworth signed a six-year contract with the Patriots last year, but knew the structure of it meant he would stay only one year with New England. They made him a free agent by declining to pay a scheduled $6 million bonus last week.

Stallworth's deal with the Browns has been reported as seven years for $35 million, with $10 million in guarantees.

"I liked what I saw when I was there [to visit]," Stallworth said. "They're a hungry organization. Lot of good talent that's going to be here a long time."

Savage said after the 2007 season, Joe Jurevicius requested the team find a No. 2 receiver so he could be moved to No. 3. That was the reason the Browns pursued Stallworth aggressively.

Tim Carter, who was acquired last year in the trade for Reuben Droughns, will not be back, Savage said.

Sorensen signs:

The Browns announced late Tuesday that safety Nick Sorensen has come to terms on a three-year contract.

Sorensen was signed in October last year and performed well on special teams. He finished fifth with 14 special-teams tackles.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

tgrossi@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

ImageImage
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 57,531.06
Tim Carter-WR- Browns Mar. 5 - 7:13 pm et

Browns GM Phil Savage confirmed that free agent Tim Carter will not be back with the team this season.
Carter has the tools, but doesn't catch the ball consistently. He may latch on as a camp body, but won't get the opportunity to be a third receiver again.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

I advise you foe me so you don't have to read this crap.
Supreme Megalodon
Lennie Friedman-G-Browns Mar. 10 - 2:03 pm et

Browns re-signed OL Lennie Friedman to a one-year contract.
Friedman is a veratile reserve with the ability to play guard and center.
Source: ESPN.com

Supreme Megalodon
Chaun Thompson-LB-Browns Mar. 12 - 9:55 pm et

The Browns have opened contract negotiations with free agent LB Chaun Thompson.
It appears they won't pursue signing Al Wilson. Thompson somewhat surprisingly drew little interest on the open market. He can play inside and outside.

Supreme Megalodon
jetsman2806 wrote:Chaun Thompson-LB-Browns Mar. 12 - 9:55 pm et

The Browns have opened contract negotiations with free agent LB Chaun Thompson.
It appears they won't pursue signing Al Wilson. Thompson somewhat surprisingly drew little interest on the open market. He can play inside and outside.

Serviceable veteran LB that never made a great impact. Decent cover LB with average run stopping ability.

ImageImage
Megalodon
NFL INSIDER
Cleveland Browns' Andra Davis, Willie McGinest get pay cuts
Sunday, March 16, 2008Tony GrossiPlain Dealer Reporter
Not everybody with the Browns is getting contract extensions and big pay raises these days.

The team quietly reduced the contracts of two prominent former starters on defense - linebackers Andra Davis and Willie McGinest. Both players now are part of three-men rotations at their respective positions.

In December 2005, Davis signed a five-year contract extension for $20 million. That deal included a base salary in 2008 of $3 million, plus a $200,000 roster bonus. The base salaries would rise to $3.75 million in '09 and $4.1 million in 2010.

But that contract is no more. The latest figures posted on the NFL players union Web site show a base salary this year of $1.675 million for Davis. And the last two years of the deal have been wiped out.

The 44 percent pay cut might have been made up in a signing bonus to rewrite the deal to end after this season.

Davis, 29, saw his playing time reduced last year because of the emergence of Leon Williams and the use of different defensive packages. His 104 tackles were his lowest total in four years, when he missed five games with an injury.

Davis has the most tenure of any Butch Davis draft choice. He was a fifth-round pick in 2002. Besides him, only long snapper Ryan Pontbriand (2003), tight end Kellen Winslow (2004) and safety Sean Jones (2004) remain of the four Davis drafts from 2001-04.

McGinest could have made as much as $2.9 million this season in the final year of his three-year Browns contract. But that was reduced to $1.9 million after he failed to hit a Pro Bowl incentive. The players union lists McGinest's salary at $900,000 - a 47 percent cut.

McGinest, 36, played in 13 games after having back surgery in the off-season. He made 12 starts in the base defense and found himself actually playing tackle in some sub packages late in the season because of injuries to other players.

Both players have playing-time incentives that could get them back to their original levels. Messages seeking comment from the players' agents were not returned.

More salary info:

Quarterback Derek Anderson's base salaries in his new contract are $950,000 in 2008, $1.45 million in '09 and $7.45 million in 2010, according to union figures.

The union Web site does not include bonuses. Anderson will receive $8 million this year in signing and roster bonuses and has another guaranteed $5 million due in April of '09, plus $1 million in 2010.

The overall number of these selections won't be known until the NFL awards its annual allotment of compensatory picks to teams who suffered free-agent losses the previous year.

Some of those picks may be squeezed into the middle of rounds four through seven, which would lower the Browns' selections even further.

In the past, Browns General Manager Phil Savage has said he ranks about 100 players on his draft board. He'll have to form a second board this year. As it stands, the Browns' first pick would be the 118th selection overall.

Who wants it?

The Bengals' fifth-round draft pick - whomever it turns out to be - is cursed.

The team tried to trade its third- and fifth-rounder to Detroit for Shaun Rogers, but the NFL voided the deal. Then Cincinnati wanted to send its fourth- and fifth-rounders to the Jets for Dewayne Robertson, but the Bengals changed their mind because of concern with Robertson's repaired knee.

Local watch:

Center Alex Stepanovich of Berea High School and Ohio State signed with the Falcons. . . . Guard Jacob Bell of St. Ignatius and Miami (Ohio) signed with the Rams. . . . Receiver Drew Carter of Solon and Ohio State signed with the Raiders.

On FF sabbatical.
Megalodon
I give Bentley credit for staying at it. He got his contract cut-up but he's still trying.

BROWNS
Cleveland Browns center LeCharles Bentley works out with team's support

Tuesday, March 18, 2008Mary Kay Cabot
Plain Dealer Reporter

Center LeCharles Bentley will continue working out in Arizona "with the blessing of the Browns" even though the team's off-season program began Monday in Berea.

"LeCharles will be staying in Arizona and continuing the program he's on out there," said his agent, Jonathan Feinsod. "The Browns are fully on board with it."

Browns General Manager Phil Savage said Bentley will check in with the team periodically and return for organized team activities May and minicamps.

"LeCharles is doing phenomenal," Feinsod said. "I went to watch him work out in Arizona and he looks bionic. He'll come back and work with the Browns when he has to."

Bentley, 29, will continue his bid to return from a torn left patella tendon suffered in July 2006. He also had a second tear of the tendon and staph infection that required three additional surgeries. He attempted to come back last season, but never came off the physically unable to perform list.

"Once the Browns see that LeCharles is LeCharles again, they'll be very pleased," Feinsod said. "He's fully committed to playing this season."

In December, the Browns shortened Bentley's contract by three years and gave him the chance to become an unrestricted free agent after this season. He's signed through 2008 at the NFL minimum for centers with his experience of $605,000, but can make the $4 million he was originally set to earn through incentives. Bentley will receive $1 million bonuses after playing eight games, 12 games and 14 games.

The Browns are anticipating Bentley's return, but have also signed guard/center Rex Hadnot, an unrestricted free agent from the Dolphins, and lineman Lennie Friedman. Hadnot (6-2, 325) started every game the previous three seasons for Miami, at right guard in 2007 and center in 2006. In 2005, he started 13 games at right guard and three at center. The Browns haven't specified where he will play.

In other news, tight end Kellen Winslow has been rehabilitating at the Browns facility after undergoing a scope on his right knee last month.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

On FF sabbatical.