Week 14 - TNF - Jaguars vs Titans

Post Reply  
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 10575
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008
Sand$: 45,023.44
Integ wrote:62.8 in my league on the bench for a non playoff team.


Thats amazing. Can't get my head round that at all. Henry running all over the Jaguars. Eesh. Somebody else has to be getting fired this week.
_______________________________________

Tiger Shark
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011
Sand$: 2,218.10
Have a 1 in a million shot to make the playoffs in one league, need the team in front of me to lose. He's playing the 3-10 team. That team has Henry! :buzzsaw:
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004
Sand$: 18,819.28
Went to the game last night. Besides being cold as 'ish, that was an amazing performance. Never seen anything like it, particularly the 99 yd run. OMG. It's just like that song "get out da way, get out da way xxxxx".

Of course, I panicked and went to see if any opponents had him. One did, but was on the bench. Nothing you could have done there and no one would have probably started Henry. But still..Know how that feels.
_______________________________________

Whale Sharks 1 League 2018 - Fear The Spear
League of Titans 2018 Norse League - Nole Man
NFL Challenge 2018 AFC - Tennessee Titans
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 10575
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008
Sand$: 45,023.44
scootm44 wrote:If you have to play Henry you probably aren't in the playoffs. But if for some reason you are and you did...what a nice start to the week.


I am playing Josh Adams and Jaylon Samuels as my RB combo in more than one play-off game. If I had Henry I probably would have put him in the for 1 yard TD plunge potential.

You can have a poor team carried by Mahomes or Gurley, Kelce too maybe and scrape into the play-offs.

Basically I am saying I am lucky and my teams are garbage haha.
_______________________________________

Moderator
Posts: 53977
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 110,170.72
Integ wrote:62.8 in my league on the bench for a non playoff team.

Just a hunch - that's the case with most Derrick Henry owned teams.
Megalodon
Posts: 15989
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009
Sand$: 26,254.54
After this game, I don't see how our DC has a job after this season. Heck, even Marrone should be on the hot seat. You don't go from shutting out the Colts to getting run over like that unless there is bad coaching involved.
Moderator
Posts: 53977
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 110,170.72
Markulous wrote:After this game, I don't see how our DC has a job after this season. Heck, even Marrone should be on the hot seat. You don't go from shutting out the Colts to getting run over like that unless there is bad coaching involved.

Last night had nothing to do with the DC. Those guys are checked out. That's a product of paying a bunch of guys on a team without a QB, piling up losses, and now their season is dead. They're not playing for another contract. They already got theirs. They're just making sure they don't get injured before their beach reservation.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 19651
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006
Sand$: 40,989.14
OarChambo wrote:
Integ wrote:62.8 in my league on the bench for a non playoff team.

Just a hunch - that's the case with most Derrick Henry owned teams.

He was cheap enough that he could be overcome. My opponent in one league had him, on the bench...

I had him in the Great White... on the bench. And the Interboard league... on the bench. Those teams were both bad anyway.
Moderator
Posts: 53977
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 110,170.72
und2006 wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Integ wrote:62.8 in my league on the bench for a non playoff team.

Just a hunch - that's the case with most Derrick Henry owned teams.

He was cheap enough that he could be overcome. My opponent in one league had him, on the bench...

I had him in the Great White... on the bench. And the Interboard league... on the bench. Those teams were both bad anyway.

My cheat sheet from August has his adp as 37 in a tier titled 'you do not want him as your #2 because you are not Najeh Davenport" along side LeSean McCoy.
Megalodon
Posts: 15989
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009
Sand$: 26,254.54
OarChambo wrote:
Markulous wrote:After this game, I don't see how our DC has a job after this season. Heck, even Marrone should be on the hot seat. You don't go from shutting out the Colts to getting run over like that unless there is bad coaching involved.

Last night had nothing to do with the DC. Those guys are checked out. That's a product of paying a bunch of guys on a team without a QB, piling up losses, and now their season is dead. They're not playing for another contract. They already got theirs. They're just making sure they don't get injured before their beach reservation.

It had something to do with coaching. If they were checked out, they wouldn't have shutout the Colts.

Ngakoue, Ramsey, and Jack are all fighting for new contracts since they are on their rookie deals and could get huge payouts.

I agree with you that those other things are likely a factor, but I don't think it's the whole story
Great White Shark
Posts: 3258
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014
Sand$: 4,221.48
OarChambo wrote:
Integ wrote:62.8 in my league on the bench for a non playoff team.

Just a hunch - that's the case with most Derrick Henry owned teams.


Unless they nabbed Conner....jerks. :lol:
Moderator
Posts: 53977
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 110,170.72
Markulous wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Markulous wrote:After this game, I don't see how our DC has a job after this season. Heck, even Marrone should be on the hot seat. You don't go from shutting out the Colts to getting run over like that unless there is bad coaching involved.

Last night had nothing to do with the DC. Those guys are checked out. That's a product of paying a bunch of guys on a team without a QB, piling up losses, and now their season is dead. They're not playing for another contract. They already got theirs. They're just making sure they don't get injured before their beach reservation.

It had something to do with coaching. If they were checked out, they wouldn't have shutout the Colts.

Ngakoue, Ramsey, and Jack are all fighting for new contracts since they are on their rookie deals and could get huge payouts.

I agree with you that those other things are likely a factor, but I don't think it's the whole story

I think players on teams that are checked out go in-and-out of these phases as the late part of the season progresses. Some weeks they're engaged, others they're not. It's really just about themselves at this point. Sure you have isolated players that are still chasing that big contract, but one player can only do so much. And I don't think anything Ramsey does between now and season's end is going to impact his future payday. Ngakoue and Jack, sure, especially the former. Some, anyway. It's more important they get to the offseason healthy. Next season is substantially more important than December on a sunk team.

The Jags problem is management. Not coaching. Coaching (and an unusual amount of health) got this team within a quarter of the Super Bowl. They aren't without flaws, there are well documented reasons Hackett was let go. But that was largely a product of what management gave them to work with. And Jags management has done a terrible job for most of the last 2 years. And because of those moves they probably aren't going to get better anytime soon either.
Megalodon
Posts: 15989
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009
Sand$: 26,254.54
OarChambo wrote:I think players on teams that are checked out go in-and-out of these phases as the late part of the season progresses. Some weeks they're engaged, others they're not. It's really just about themselves at this point. Sure you have isolated players that are still chasing that big contract, but one player can only do so much. And I don't think anything Ramsey does between now and season's end is going to impact his future payday. Ngakoue and Jack, sure, especially the former. Some, anyway. It's more important they get to the offseason healthy. Next season is substantially more important than December on a sunk team.

The Jags problem is management. Not coaching. Coaching (and an unusual amount of health) got this team within a quarter of the Super Bowl. They aren't without flaws, there are well documented reasons Hackett was let go. But that was largely a product of what management gave them to work with. And Jags management has done a terrible job for most of the last 2 years. And because of those moves they probably aren't going to get better anytime soon either.

I definitely agree with management being an issue. My guess right now is that Dave Caldwell is gone, which was probably the plan all along bringing in Coughlin. Coughlin can now either just take full control or basically hire an assistant with the title of GM to do his bidding. We had some big hits drafting (particularly those 3 players I mentioned plus Telvin Smith) and in FA (Malik Jackson, Calais), but there were a ton of misses too. Everyone knew Bortles would ultimately define Caldwell's tenure and unfortunately it didn't work out.

Here's my issue with coaching. Our DC basically was handed the job because he was on staff, we didn't vet anyone else (same with our OC both times). Looking at this year and last year in particular, his soft zone crap just doesn't work. You have arguably the best DB tandem in the league with a good FS and a top DL, and 2 very athletic LBs, why on earth would you play a soft zone coverage? That's part of the reason of what cost us the win last year in New England. We were ahead and started backing off only to let Brady pick us apart. If we would have just stuck with press/man coverage, we would have been playing the Eagles in the SB. This year, I see the same garbage.

I also question Marrone's control over the locker room. I wouldn't be pissed if they brought him back as long as we have different coordinators that we actually vet and interview externally, but if there's no improvement within a year or two with new management and new coordinators, Marrone has to go.
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Moderator
Posts: 53977
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 110,170.72
Markulous wrote:I definitely agree with management being an issue. My guess right now is that Dave Caldwell is gone, which was probably the plan all along bringing in Coughlin. Coughlin can now either just take full control or basically hire an assistant with the title of GM to do his bidding. We had some big hits drafting (particularly those 3 players I mentioned plus Telvin Smith) and in FA (Malik Jackson, Calais), but there were a ton of misses too. Everyone knew Bortles would ultimately define Caldwell's tenure and unfortunately it didn't work out.

Here's my issue with coaching. Our DC basically was handed the job because he was on staff, we didn't vet anyone else (same with our OC both times). Looking at this year and last year in particular, his soft zone crap just doesn't work. You have arguably the best DB tandem in the league with a good FS and a top DL, and 2 very athletic LBs, why on earth would you play a soft zone coverage? That's part of the reason of what cost us the win last year in New England. We were ahead and started backing off only to let Brady pick us apart. If we would have just stuck with press/man coverage, we would have been playing the Eagles in the SB. This year, I see the same garbage.

I also question Marrone's control over the locker room. I wouldn't be pissed if they brought him back as long as we have different coordinators that we actually vet and interview externally, but if there's no improvement within a year or two with new management and new coordinators, Marrone has to go.
I don't think you're wrong about what will happen, but I don't think it'll get the team back on a winning track. This team's series of bad decisions began about the same time Coughlin came to power. Sure, Caldwell is a convenient fall guy and his trust in Bortles is ultimately his undoing, but how is this team going to improve with the resources available and current structure of the rooster?

Cap strapped, no quarterback, argument there isn't a single cornerstone piece anywhere on the offense, and the defense is either north of prime age or chasing a contract in 2020 that Jacksonville probably can't give them without wrecking themselves further.