Mike McCarthy fired

Post Reply  
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
Elmagister wrote:The AFC East has been the least competitive division in football for Tom Brady's whole career. His talent is completely separate from that fact.

Sweet Lord i wish it were otherwise.

But it doesnt get anymore inescapable than that
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
Just skimming back a bit, dont know if it helps, but my problem with McCarthy *ISNT* that Rodgers doesnt have another ring.

I'm not sure, (and apologies to GB fans) i could care less than i already do about pretty boys trophy cabinet looking empty.

For me its more that - for a guy 12yrs (?) a HC - there are far too many head-scratchers when it comes to challenges (or lack thereof), time management, or play calls.

Thats just as a bystander/3rd party tho. I probs catch only 3-4 full packer games a season, so im happy to be told ive got the wrong impression.

Usually expect Mick Mac to have abandoned the run game by halftime - irrespective of game script.

And get the feeling that (even if GBP were comfortably up at the half), fans wouldnt feel 100% comfortable about getting the W till that 4Q is over and done.

And i think thats been the case more often than not over the past half a decade.

Im sure Mick Mac is a good guy and can still bring something to the game, just get the impression he might be a better coach or coordinator than HC. Either way i think GBP needed to change something.
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Moderator
Posts: 53977
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 110,170.72
jamcutpost wrote:Just skimming back a bit, dont know if it helps, but my problem with McCarthy *ISNT* that Rodgers doesnt have another ring.

I'm not sure, (and apologies to GB fans) i could care less than i already do about pretty boys trophy cabinet looking empty.

For me its more that - for a guy 12yrs (?) a HC - there are far too many head-scratchers when it comes to challenges (or lack thereof), time management, or play calls.

I think the good ole' boy network is at least part trying to make this about McCarthy and Rodgers alone in an attempt to mask his laundry list of non A-Aron fueled flaws. Kinda like how the McDaniels story is now being spun into a non-negative as well. Focus the talking points on debatable subjects and bury the red flags while no one is paying attention.
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
OarChambo wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:Just skimming back a bit, dont know if it helps, but my problem with McCarthy *ISNT* that Rodgers doesnt have another ring.

I'm not sure, (and apologies to GB fans) i could care less than i already do about pretty boys trophy cabinet looking empty.

For me its more that - for a guy 12yrs (?) a HC - there are far too many head-scratchers when it comes to challenges (or lack thereof), time management, or play calls.

I think the good ole' boy network is at least part trying to make this about McCarthy and Rodgers alone in an attempt to mask his laundry list of non A-Aron fueled flaws. Kinda like how the McDaniels story is now being spun into a non-negative as well. Focus the talking points on debatable subjects and bury the red flags while no one is paying attention.

Yeah, you might be right at that.

Would probably also entertain the notion that the FO hamstrung him a bit (personnel/ FA) and its a shame Guntenkhurst (spelling?) wasnt there sooner for him.

But yeah, still dodges the other "game time/ on-field" stuff that has nothing to do with who's at QB. Think the move best for all parties.
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 37343
Joined: Tue Sep 6, 2005
Sand$: 162,135.22
Elmagister wrote:The AFC East has been the least competitive division in football for Tom Brady's whole career. His talent is completely separate from that fact.

Correct.

This comparison isn't the subject, however.
_______________________________________

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 37343
Joined: Tue Sep 6, 2005
Sand$: 162,135.22
jamcutpost wrote:
Would probably also entertain the notion that the FO hamstrung him a bit (personnel/ FA) and its a shame Guntenkhurst (spelling?) wasnt there sooner for him.


A lot of this mixed w/in the situation. Hits and misses come with the territory though.
_______________________________________

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
birddog wrote:
Elmagister wrote:The AFC East has been the least competitive division in football for Tom Brady's whole career. His talent is completely separate from that fact.

Correct.

This comparison isn't the subject, however.


If youre talking about the competitiveness of 2 other leagues (NFC South & North) as being relevant tho?

It kinda is, a little bit - right? :thumbright:
Last edited by jamcutpost on Fri 12.07.2018, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 15720
Joined: Wed Sep 6, 2006
Sand$: 45,477.98
jamcutpost wrote:
birddog wrote:
Elmagister wrote:The AFC East has been the least competitive division in football for Tom Brady's whole career. His talent is completely separate from that fact.

Correct.

This comparison isn't the subject, however.


If youre talking about the competitiveness of 2 other leagues (NFC South & North) as being relevant tho?

It kinda is, a little bit - right?


only when it helps make his point, not counter-act his point.
_______________________________________

Image
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
Well, not going to get into any of that malarkey - Both two guys i know can discuss their own corners :)

Q: Do any homers/ NFC N viewers feel that Mick Mac was actually good at "in game management"?

Challenges, Clock skills, Run:Pass, 4th downs etc

I dont watch as many games in the North as i might used to have, so maybe ive got that twisted? :dontknow:

My recollection (and confirmation bias is a witch, so could be me!) is that weve spent more time discussing A-a-ron having to go for it in the 4th, running, hail marys/ big heaves, dropped passes

... than saying GB got up at half time - and then killed them off in the 2nd half (running/ clock management)

Now obviously that latter is a position you want to be in and doesnt happen all that often. But over 12yrs im not sure its happened as often as it shouldve in GB.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Fri 12.07.2018, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 43586
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 24,662.62
The initial question was posed by me and I asked “who are we comparing MCarthy/Rodgers to when .618 winning percentage is not considered successful”.

It sounds like to me we can only compare them to Belichick/Brady although we can’t even do that if we apply the same logic to dismiss Payton/Brees
_______________________________________

#NewJackCity
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 19651
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006
Sand$: 40,989.14
On the competitiveness of the divisions, this may be an arbitrary measure but NFC Championship appearances since 2008:

NFC North - 7
NFC South - 4

However, Super Bowl appearances are 3-1 in favor of the South. 3-2 if you go back one more year to when Chicago was there. Wins in the big game are 1-1.

I don't think you can look at that as the South being better in that timeframe. There's a better than 50/50 shot in the last ten years that an NFC North team was going to the in the conference title game.
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
endzoneview wrote:The initial question was posed by me and I asked “who are we comparing MCarthy/Rodgers to when .618 winning percentage is not considered successful”.

It sounds like to me we can only compare them to Belichick/Brady although we can’t even do that if we apply the same logic to dismiss Payton/Brees


What was Marino & Shula?

Memory serves i dont think Dan got a ring
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 19651
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006
Sand$: 40,989.14
jamcutpost wrote:
endzoneview wrote:The initial question was posed by me and I asked “who are we comparing MCarthy/Rodgers to when .618 winning percentage is not considered successful”.

It sounds like to me we can only compare them to Belichick/Brady although we can’t even do that if we apply the same logic to dismiss Payton/Brees


What was Marino & Shula?

Memory serves i dont think Dan got a ring


Slightly lower, but pretty darn close .612
Megalodon
Posts: 20536
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 30,746.92
Marino was the problem :D
_______________________________________

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 37343
Joined: Tue Sep 6, 2005
Sand$: 162,135.22
jamcutpost wrote:
birddog wrote:
Elmagister wrote:The AFC East has been the least competitive division in football for Tom Brady's whole career. His talent is completely separate from that fact.

Correct.

This comparison isn't the subject, however.


If youre talking about the competitiveness of 2 other leagues (NFC South & North) as being relevant tho?

It kinda is, a little bit - right? :thumbright:
If anyone cares to assess it, I'd read it and respond. Throwing crap on the wall and walking away isn't anyway to conclude anything.

I'll toss a nugget out there for someone to go with. Bill & Brady have seen what? 4-5 since '07? hung 2-3 banners w/a TE & a college QB as #1wr? Playing against the NFC South a few times?
_______________________________________

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield