Sand$: 41,948.17
scootm44 wrote:

That’s great
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,633.00
endzoneview wrote:
Cadence calls wrote:I like Russ, who doesn't, but that's too much.
It could be a long 4 years.

For all the other teams in the NFC West, yes

Except for....ohmaybe the NFC West team that went to the Bowl last year.
I love the dueling hot takes meme.
nah, them too

If memory serves Russell Wilson destroyed them. I’d bet they rather not face him twice a year for the next 5 years. But maybe not.

Oops
Great White Shark
Sand$: 24,266.68
endzoneview wrote:

Oops

Uh oh. Traded to the buffs?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 22,242.92
hawkdogger wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Oops

Weed dealers. Said they would be over by 7:00, and it is 7-frigging-16.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,633.00
votingmachine wrote:
hawkdogger wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Oops

Weed dealers. Said they would be over by 7:00, and it is 7-frigging-16.

Somebody got red pilled
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,733.78
PigskinPete22 wrote:Agree wholeheartedly with above. Well said gents. This is what..18% of their total cap on one guy? They are going to be hamstrung to gather needed elements for a SB run. Id bet heavily against ANY SB appearance in his remaining tenure.

I've never really understood this kind of analysis. What is a reasonable cap% for an all star QB to have? What makes anyone think that what matters isn't actually how much a team is paying an individual player, but how well a team puts together a roster?

Yes, windows can open and close, but good teams figure out ways to continually reload talent while keeping their franchise QB in the fold.

Now, I'm willing to accept arguments that the Seahawks are no longer good at reloading talent, but that doesn't mean that if they had more money to throw at other players they'd be a better team, since there is no guarantee those other players would be worth whatever they are getting paid either.

Wilson is one of the best QBs in the league, and unlike guys like Carr or Stafford who got massive deals, has actually proven his value to be on the level he is getting paid.
Megalodon
Sand$: 44,183.50
ubertaco wrote:
PigskinPete22 wrote:Agree wholeheartedly with above. Well said gents. This is what..18% of their total cap on one guy? They are going to be hamstrung to gather needed elements for a SB run. Id bet heavily against ANY SB appearance in his remaining tenure.

I've never really understood this kind of analysis. What is a reasonable cap% for an all star QB to have? What makes anyone think that what matters isn't actually how much a team is paying an individual player, but how well a team puts together a roster?

Yes, windows can open and close, but good teams figure out ways to continually reload talent while keeping their franchise QB in the fold.

Now, I'm willing to accept arguments that the Seahawks are no longer good at reloading talent, but that doesn't mean that if they had more money to throw at other players they'd be a better team, since there is no guarantee those other players would be worth whatever they are getting paid either.

Wilson is one of the best QBs in the league, and unlike guys like Carr or Stafford who got massive deals, has actually proven his value to be on the level he is getting paid.

I'd make the argument they never were. Had a brilliant four year run on Wilson's rookie deal, then faded to a pretty good team that isn't a serious contender. This deal isn't going to help that.

2015 - Out in the divisional round (Blair Walsh is the only reason it wasn't the Wild Card Round)
2016 - Spanked by the Falcons in the divisional round
2017 - Missed the playoffs
2018 - squeaked in at 10-6 and lost in the Wild Card Round

Is locking up Wilson going to magically bring them back to 2014 form?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,733.78
Is spending whatever they save (and it's not immediate cost to them anyway, no one is suggesting they release or trade Wilson right?) on other aging players or random free agents going to get them back to 2014 form?

The question isn't about what they are paying Wilson directly. It's about what the alternative is.

So unless someone wants to suggest they go into tank and rebuild mode, locking up one of the best QBs in the league feels like the right answer to me.

Look, if we were revisiting the idiocy of Detroit giving the farm to Stafford I'd have a different opinion, even while understanding that just for the fan base, giving Stafford that deal might be the right move.

Wilson is an MVP caliber QB who has lead the team to two super bowls and arguably if not for that one play call would have won both of them.

I mean if you're not going to pay that guy, who exactly are you saving your money for?

Or, are you just never going to give any QB a big pay day and hope you can always find one who is 'good enough' every 3-4 years to carry your team?

That's where Dallas is going to be with Dak, and yeah, I think they are insane if they sign him to a 'huge' deal, better to let him walk frankly. But Dak is no where even close to Russ.
Sand$: 115,083.70
und2006 wrote:Is locking up Wilson going to magically bring them back to 2014 form?

No, but their problem the last 4 years hasn't been Wilson. It's been everything they've done around him. Just cross reference their drafts from 2007-2012 with 2013-2018:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... &type=team

The core of those teams was at their peak when Wilson got to the leeg, which is why 13 and 14 were the peak years. This was their depth chart as of 10/1/14:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/164/SEA

Since then? They've replaced Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Brandon Mebane, Jeremy Lane, Marshawn Lynch, Max Unger, Russell Okung, and Doug Baldwin with Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, Germain Ifedi, Jarran Reed, Duane Brown, Brad McDougald, and old Doug Baldwin.

And all that's just personnel. It doesn't even get into an asinine coaching like Cable and Schotty Jr.

Is it harder to build a rooster around a franchise QB than one on a rookie contract? Of course, which is why draft capital, re-signing decisions, work on the edges of the depth chart, etc. are so important. I think Seattle's done a terrible job in those areas over the last half decade.
Megalodon
Sand$: 44,183.50
OarChambo wrote:
und2006 wrote:Is locking up Wilson going to magically bring them back to 2014 form?

No, but their problem the last 4 years hasn't been Wilson. It's been everything they've done around him. Just cross reference their drafts from 2007-2012 with 2013-2018:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... &type=team

The core of those teams was at their peak when Wilson got to the leeg, which is why 13 and 14 were the peak years. This was their depth chart as of 10/1/14:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/164/SEA

Since then? They've replaced Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Brandon Mebane, Jeremy Lane, Marshawn Lynch, Max Unger, Russell Okung, and Doug Baldwin with Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, Germain Ifedi, Jarran Reed, Duane Brown, Brad McDougald, and old Doug Baldwin.

And all that's just personnel. It doesn't even get into an asinine coaching like Cable and Schotty Jr.

Is it harder to build a rooster around a franchise QB than one on a rookie contract? Of course, which is why draft capital, re-signing decisions, work on the edges of the depth chart, etc. are so important. I think Seattle's done a terrible job in those areas over the last half decade.

Didn't say it was. Also didn't say anything that contradicts anything you said there.

I'm also a noted Russell Wilson hater, so take anything I say in this thread with a grain of salt.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,753.46
OarChambo wrote:

No, but their problem the last 4 years hasn't been Wilson. It's been everything they've done around him. Just cross reference their drafts from 2007-2012 with 2013-2018.

Ive a quicker method:

Tom Cable wrote:Seattle Seahawks (2011–2017)
Assistant head coach/offensive line coach & run game coordinator

We could also add, "Yes Pete started hot", because he had the inside on the next cpl classes of college kids - to get the jump on the under the radar guys on draft day.

That was always going to slow up a bit as CFB moved on, as it inexorably does.

But that OL ... HoF LT retires in 2009 (Walter was some player)... Cable moves in.

What was a good unit started sliding. Its never gotten anywhere close to being back to the days of Jones, Hutchinson, Spencer & Locklear.

Certainly not on Cable's watch.

During his tenure w/SEA they were ranked 29th, 20th, 19th, 27th, 30th, 32nd & 27th.

This year without him? ...

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 204.60
Elmagister wrote:I found an article that states he's given up $60-$100 million, but he's 4th place all time earnings. Just 3 million behind Brees, and about 30 behind Manning.

So, my perception is wrong, but I don't think it's as much as people say.

Hypothetical assumption. He probably got that money through other means, not referring to advertisements. I wouldn't doubt Robert Kraft and Bellichick crafted some side betting way of paying Tom Brady off the salary cap books, throughout the later years, when seeing all of these other guys getting paid.

16 team league: PPR: Qb/rb/wr1/wr2/wr3/te/flex1/flex2
QB: Eli Manning, Glennon
RB: Forte, CJ1ks, Andre Wills, Mckinnon, Hillman
WR: Marshall, Cruz, Wayne, Nelson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Ebron, Chase Ford
KICK: McManus
DEF: HOU, TB
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 392.72
ubertaco wrote:

Well said. Lot to work with there. First, The window starts now. They have to be able to use remaining monies on excellent surrounding pieces to win big. Draft, excellently with cheap contracts moving forward. Can they? Sure. Have they, yes they have before. You have to make sure to Not miss and your margin of error, thus your chances at great success mathematically goes down imo. Can they, surely. Just less likely.