Blue Shark
Sand$: 692.68
und2006 wrote:Neither of them impressed me to be honest.

Run first QBs are a dime a dozen and flame out quickly.

this is why they should carry 3 on the roster at all times

constant recycling
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,191.90
Vision wrote:

constant recycling

In both teams defence? Theyve both got backups capable of running their respective playbooks (RG3 & Tyree)

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 34,783.22
What would be really interesting is if one of these teams bottoms out in 2020 and has a shot at Lawrence. How soon do you give up on your “franchise QB” if you’re staring down the barrel of a possible generational talent?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,856.24
This is just me, but I could see it happen after 2 years, but some of the teams mentioned here will have had 3 years.

On the other hand the cards did it in 1 year.
Megalodon
Sand$: 43,493.68
rugger48 wrote:This is just me, but I could see it happen after 2 years, but some of the teams mentioned here will have had 3 years.

On the other hand the cards did it in 1/2 a year.

ftfy
Sand$: 41,517.75
SJSwarm wrote:What would be really interesting is if one of these teams bottoms out in 2020 and has a shot at Lawrence. How soon do you give up on your “franchise QB” if you’re staring down the barrel of a possible generational talent?

After 3 seasons if these teams are 2-14 or 3-13, nobody is going to care about their current quarterback

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:What would be really interesting is if one of these teams bottoms out in 2020 and has a shot at Lawrence. How soon do you give up on your “franchise QB” if you’re staring down the barrel of a possible generational talent?

Steve Keim wrote:Not long

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Blue Shark
jamcutpost wrote:
Vision wrote:

constant recycling

In both teams defence? Theyve both got backups capable of running their respective playbooks (RG3 & Tyree)

yes but this hasn't been the case until recently

the fear has always been to have running qb's run less, because of injury fears and no comparable backup as the qb2
Megalodon
Vision wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
Vision wrote:this is why they should carry 3 on the roster at all times

constant recycling

yes but this hasn't been the case until recently

the fear has always been to have running qb's run less, because of injury fears and no comparable backup as the qb2

RG3 was there last year... Before LJ was drafted.

And, youll forgive me if i dont see how you can be critical of a team that had/ has:

Depth holes everywhere
only about $5m in cap space
at a position that doesnt grow on trees
as soon as was possible (ie next draft cycle)
BEFORE they knew theyd be able to get "Their" guy.

In an ideal world, im sure all teams would like quality QB depth as even non-running Qbs get crocked every bit as often (Luck, Romo, Alice etc)

But im finding it hard to fault BAL or BUF for doing it "Only recently" when you actually look at the facts and context.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Mon 05.20.2019, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,290.10
im going josh allen has higher upside and a much better arm,just needs weapons around him
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,422.36
mstrbass2000 wrote:im going josh allen has higher upside and a much better arm,just needs weapons around him

Curious what about Josh Allen makes you think he has higher upside?

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Blue Shark
whoa whoa

im not faulting any team specifically - even though flacco backed up lamar - that is just one example - yes i know it takes time to build the roster, but thats pretty extreme and they didnt draft lamar to "prove it" or "earn it"

they knew the system was in place for a running threat... good defense, conservative mgmt.. it was bound to work

im speaking in generalized terms, if you want an offense with a running qb, its not an issue of finding your guy

its an issue of sticking with the plan through coaches, gm misfires, and up and down years
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,290.10
zuggyawesome wrote:
mstrbass2000 wrote:im going josh allen has higher upside and a much better arm,just needs weapons around him

when everyone zigs,i zag
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 22,004.90
mstrbass2000 wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:

when everyone zigs,i zag

Zagging is one thing. Saying he has higher upside is different than that.
Megalodon
Vision wrote:whoa whoa

im not faulting any team specifically - even though flacco backed up lamar - that is just one example - yes i know it takes time to build the roster, but thats pretty extreme and they didnt draft lamar to "prove it" or "earn it"

they knew the system was in place for a running threat... good defense, conservative mgmt.. it was bound to work

im speaking in generalized terms, if you want an offense with a running qb, its not an issue of finding your guy

its an issue of sticking with the plan through coaches, gm misfires, and up and down years

It didnt read that way, but its possible i misread it - apologies.

Would still disagree on a few things though (like it was "Bound to work" for one & that the backups were only recently in place w/RG3 being put there before LJ)

But Sticking with a plan"? Sure. 100%

But thats rarely been a forte in the NFL. We see it all the time: "Yeah, but FO's should *KNOW* that if youve just spent 4yrs building the roster for a 3-4 you dont get in a 4-3 guy".

Jon Gruden: hey, how come the backup [Curtis Painter] not getting any reps
Tom Moore (Colts OC): Because fellas, if #18 goes down, we're f****d... and we dont practice f****d

I feel the same.

If a backup QB is actually good enough to start or win games? Then youre probably highly unlikely to pay all your actual starters that do start and are highly likely to lose him later anyway.

- Douglas Adams