2019 Sleepers/Breakout Candidates

Megalodon
Sand$: 27,640.57
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:
Where is Jeff Janis playing these days?

I just want so badly to say Canada. Fact is I don't know.

stuffedcrust3meat wrote:to all the people we never meet that leave a lasting impression :Drink)

Megalodon
Sand$: 37,154.38
honingskills wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/player/jeffjanis/2543750/profile

"The page you requested was not found".

Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,076.52
Dede Westbrook will be a cheap source of 80/1000/6 in ppr this year.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,292.08
OarChambo wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:Btw, anyone have some Dynasty Sleepers they wouldn't mind talking about?

Vontaze Burfict Award (Players with million dollar ability & 10c heads): Joint winners. Preston Williams, WR MIA & Alize Mack ,TE NOS
Axl Rose Award (Because you'll need a little Patience): Qadree Ollison, RB ATL
Wes Welker Award (Players who need a change of circumstance for FF relevance): Justin Watson, WR TBB
Ringo Award (Because everyone only talks about the "more" talented ones): Josh Oliver, TE JAX
Terrell Davis Award (RBs who shouldve been drafted higher): Darwin Thompson, RB KCC
Black Sabbath Award (Player most likely going through [positional] Changes): Jalen Hurd, SFO
Wally Pip Award (Player most likely to beat out the more "named" player): Keesean Johnson, WR ARI
Ryan Reynolds Award (He's Buried. You might not find him.): Scott Miller, TBB

Echo on Darwin and Mack, but not Preston nor Miller.
I think Ollison is going to become more popular once we get to August. He doesn't have any 'wow' in his game, but I think he has better skill as a runner than every non-Freeman back in Atlanta. Pass game though. No clue. Pittsburgh couldn't pass, so they didn't try.
Open minded on Watson and Oliver.
Close minded on Hurd.
Somewhere in between on Johnson.

Good stuff :thumbright:

I'll throw in another couple of rookies into the hand-baskett:

Diontae Johnson - I know a many people know his name, but the guy should be in contention for the late first round. Much like Mecole Hardman, Diontae was the Steelers attempt at replacing their top passing option last season (AB). The similarities between the two are striking, they both aren't measurably very impressive athletes but they have the same electric running style that allows them to create a ton of separation out of their breaks and after the catch. Both play bigger than their size down the field when contesting at the catch point (a trait that all small, successful receivers have). And when you get to their production profiles it's truly striking. Both entered the NFL draft early, coming from the MAC. Both saw immediate early college success, AB had 1,000 yards in his true freshman season, Diontae had 1273 his sophmore year. Both were Special teams aces in addition to being the top dog in their receiving core. AB's production profile is slightly more impressive, but he also had the benefit of a future NFL backup QB his entire career (LeFevour) whereas Diontae only had Woodside for one year (and he exploded). There's no way I should be getting this guy in the 3rd round of some of my Rookie drafts.

Dexter Williams - He's mostly about landing spot. GB has no real draft capital invested in their RB core, and as much as I like Aaron Jones, the Pack have shown they don't like him as much as we do. Jamaal Williams will never be more than a plodding running back taking advantage of a great situation. Dexter isn't a great prospect (but he is a good one) and for RB's situation matters a lot more than talent. He belongs at least in the late 2nd, but I've gotten this guy in the last pick of the 4th round sometimes.
Last edited by zuggyawesome on Wed 05.22.2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 21,619.88
A A Ron likes Aaron Jones. Mike McCarthy didn't. Kinda weird citing draft capital while pimping a 6th round pick. :)
Great White Shark
Elmagister wrote:A A Ron likes Aaron Jones. Mike McCarthy didn't. Kinda weird citing draft capital while pimping a 6th round pick. :)

Odds are Jones is the guy to own there, but the chance that Dexter emerges out of this backfield as the top dog at some point next season is non-zero.

Supreme Megalodon
Worth an investment, surely.
Sand$: 111,977.58
zuggyawesome wrote:Diontae Johnson - I know a many people know his name, but the guy should be in contention for the late first round. Much like Mecole Hardman, Diontae was the Steelers attempt at replacing their top passing option last season (AB). The similarities between the two are striking, they both aren't measurably very impressive athletes but they have the same electric running style that allows them to create a ton of separation out of their breaks and after the catch. Both play bigger than their size down the field when contesting at the catch point (a trait that all small, successful receivers have). And when you get to their production profiles it's truly striking. Both entered the NFL draft early, coming from the MAC. Both saw immediate early college success, AB had 1,000 yards in his true freshman season, Diontae had 1273 his sophmore year. Both were Special teams aces in addition to being the top dog in their receiving core. AB's production profile is slightly more impressive, but he also had the benefit of a future NFL backup QB his entire career (LeFevour) whereas Diontae only had Woodside for one year (and he exploded). There's no way I should be getting this guy in the 3rd round of some of my Rookie drafts.

Dexter Williams - He's mostly about landing spot. GB has no real draft capital invested in their RB core, and as much as I like Aaron Jones, the Pack have shown they don't like him as much as we do. Jamaal Williams will never be more than a plodding running back taking advantage of a great situation. Dexter isn't a great prospect (but he is a good one) and for RB's situation matters a lot more than talent. He belongs at least in the late 2nd, but I've gotten this guy in the last pick of the 4th round sometimes.

AB is a unicorn. There are lots of people with his traits that never amount to much of anything. I think comparing him to Hardman is fair because I think each of their teams were looking for a particular type. I think the comparisons end there though. Diontae's an interesting talent, but the bar isn't in the same zip code as AB.

I think Dexter can be justified anytime after the cliff I referenced earlier this month - one that I think Diontae is a part of. Pre-draft I had him as a top 5 RB that I did not expect to be drafted as a top 5 RB, but depending on his draft day cost and situation I may or may not prioritize him. I agree with you about the situation, but his actual cost removed him from priority consideration.

In both cases I don't disagree with you about the player but I don't agree with you about their value. I get their appeal, but I think late 2nd/early 3rd is about right for Diontae. And I think late 3rd/early 4th is about right for Dexter. If they were my best available in the late 1st (Diontae) and late 2nd (Dexter) then I'd try to trade out, target them about 10 picks later, and be at peace with it if I don't end up getting them.
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 3,025.04
OarChambo wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:Diontae Johnson - I know a many people know his name, but the guy should be in contention for the late first round. Much like Mecole Hardman, Diontae was the Steelers attempt at replacing their top passing option last season (AB). The similarities between the two are striking, they both aren't measurably very impressive athletes but they have the same electric running style that allows them to create a ton of separation out of their breaks and after the catch. Both play bigger than their size down the field when contesting at the catch point (a trait that all small, successful receivers have). And when you get to their production profiles it's truly striking. Both entered the NFL draft early, coming from the MAC. Both saw immediate early college success, AB had 1,000 yards in his true freshman season, Diontae had 1273 his sophmore year. Both were Special teams aces in addition to being the top dog in their receiving core. AB's production profile is slightly more impressive, but he also had the benefit of a future NFL backup QB his entire career (LeFevour) whereas Diontae only had Woodside for one year (and he exploded). There's no way I should be getting this guy in the 3rd round of some of my Rookie drafts.

AB is a unicorn. There are lots of people with his traits that never amount to much of anything. I think comparing him to Hardman is fair because I think each of their teams were looking for a particular type. I think the comparisons end there though. Diontae's an interesting talent, but the bar isn't in the same zip code as AB.

I think Dexter can be justified anytime after the cliff I referenced earlier this month - one that I think Diontae is a part of. Pre-draft I had him as a top 5 RB that I did not expect to be drafted as a top 5 RB, but depending on his draft day cost and situation I may or may not prioritize him. I agree with you about the situation, but his actual cost removed him from priority consideration.

In both cases I don't disagree with you about the player but I don't agree with you about their value. I get their appeal, but I think late 2nd/early 3rd is about right for Diontae. And I think late 3rd/early 4th is about right for Dexter. If they were my best available in the late 1st (Diontae) and late 2nd (Dexter) then I'd try to trade out, target them about 10 picks later, and be at peace with it if I don't end up getting them.
yes got dionte last pick of the second. If he adopts ABs work ethic, he could definitely replace AB, but not holding my breath

2017 & 2018 BDC points champion
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,276.20
allen3388 wrote:yes got dionte last pick of the second

Mmm, its why i didnt list him

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
OarChambo wrote:

I actually don't think there are too many receivers with that production profile. 1,000 yards in your true freshman season, and 1300 yards in your sophmore season is a pretty rare feat, even in the MAC. Add in receivers that leave school to enter the draft at 21, and the special teams prowess, I'd venture to say that that's a pretty rare prospect. If I'm wrong here, my enthusiasm for Diontae would definitely be in line with yours.

Edit: He's apparently older than Juju... nvm. It looks like he's just another dart throw. :F
Last edited by zuggyawesome on Wed 05.22.2019, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Supreme Megalodon
I don't need a calendar to tell you it's May.
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 24,663.37
honingskills wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/player/jeffjanis/2543750/profile

"The page you requested was not found".

haha 404?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 45,090.36
hankrip wrote:Dede Westbrook will be a cheap source of 80/1000/6 in ppr this year.

yep

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,276.20
getdownmmmkay wrote:
hankrip wrote:Dede Westbrook will be a cheap source of 80/1000/6 in ppr this year.

yep

Define "Cheap" :-k

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams