2019 Sleepers/Breakout Candidates

Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,421.10
OarChambo wrote:Flip knows the passing game. He doesnt know the run game. He prefers that pass game come from the shotgun. His rb prefers his touches come from under center. And now Flip is talking up increasing Fournette's role in the offense. I'm increasingly skeptical.

Let's say all of this is true; isn't it possible this would cause him to pass more regardless of what they want him to do in JAX? I guess the downside to this would be Flip getting fired mid season... but that'd never happen :twisted:

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Megalodon
Sand$: 17,504.62
zuggyawesome wrote:
Markulous wrote:I like DeDe. If our line stays healthy, he should be a decent fantasy WR. I still am a bit unsure about Foles though, so not sure he has much of a ceiling.

I still think there's a good chance Keelan Cole emerges here, but Dede is probably the leader for now.

Foles isn't great, but he's not so bad that he's going to throttle the receivers there by himself. If he doesn't succeed there, that's going to say more about Jax's coaches than it is about him.

Cole is at the bottom of the depth chart. I don't know what happened last year, but he had an epic catch against NEP then completely sucked. Tons of dropped passes, bad route running, couldn't separate, etc. If I was going to take a flier on a non-DeDe WR, I'd rather go after Chark because they really want him to be the guy and he's going to get every opportunity.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,191.90
Markulous wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:
Markulous wrote:I like DeDe. If our line stays healthy, he should be a decent fantasy WR. I still am a bit unsure about Foles though, so not sure he has much of a ceiling.

I still think there's a good chance Keelan Cole emerges here, but Dede is probably the leader for now.

Foles isn't great, but he's not so bad that he's going to throttle the receivers there by himself. If he doesn't succeed there, that's going to say more about Jax's coaches than it is about him.

Cole is at the bottom of the depth chart. I don't know what happened last year, but he had an epic catch against NEP then completely sucked. Tons of dropped passes, bad route running, couldn't separate, etc. If I was going to take a flier on a non-DeDe WR, I'd rather go after Chark because they really want him to be the guy and he's going to get every opportunity.

Hes still the player he was in 2017, but 2018 wasnt the position he played in 17.

They gave that to Moncrief and pushed him into the Lee role (Lee IR'd in PS wk3, Dede & Moncrief in, playcalling changed to try to increase Bortles efficiency - a la Carr in OAK)

I get why they did it (Circumstances). 100%. I even agree with it.

But thats not Coles' thing. Never has been. Always a touch optimistic/unrealistic for a guy with his exp (Was purely a DB in HS, only moved to WR in College. Hes 6'2 and fast, had to learn Lee's spot only in last week of PS) to just "slide" across - esp w/other offensive issues (QB, Run game, D etc) plaguing the team.

JAX need to either change personnel groupings ... or hope for a 2nd yr leap at his new position ... trade him, or let him go.

They also need to invest some behind Lee instead of downfield guys - no matter how well theyve done price wise (and they have) all the time (Arob, Hurns, Coles, Westbrook, Chark, Moncrief, Conley). Lee's OK, but he can be improved on at least in terms of health/ durability.

JAX WRs: Dede - Chark - Lee ... all cheaper than keeping Coles and all contracted for 2020 (RFA) for next season

In dynas, if ive got a roster spot? Im happy to pick up Coles at some point this year and stash him in the hope JAX offer him a low tender offer, or let him walk (Jags projected $9m over cap in 2020 atm)

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Sand$: 112,543.26
zuggyawesome wrote:
OarChambo wrote:Flip knows the passing game. He doesnt know the run game. He prefers that pass game come from the shotgun. His rb prefers his touches come from under center. And now Flip is talking up increasing Fournette's role in the offense. I'm increasingly skeptical.

Let's say all of this is true; isn't it possible this would cause him to pass more regardless of what they want him to do in JAX? I guess the downside to this would be Flip getting fired mid season... but that'd never happen :twisted:

It's in the range of potential outcomes. Disjointed offenses that lack a cohesive identity can also just not be effective. Leaving you reliant on garbage time. Garbage time points count the same and chasing them in season has its place, but I generally avoid those situations in August/September.
SandShark
Sand$: 3,531.84
In observance of my recent ascension to sandshark level, I’d like to add Demarcus Robinson to this list. He’s a relatively free add in most leagues I’m playing in. Has a solid athletic profile and pat freakin mahomes throwing the passes obviously. His adp is rising, but the dude is still basically free. Perhaps he can join the 4th year breakout club. Depending on suspensions and other players health his role could be major.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/demarcus-robinson/

I’m on the Mecole train, but it’s going to take some time before/if he becomes a force. There are a ton of targets that have opened up in KC and this dude is in a pretty great spot potentially.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,098.98
Markulous wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:

If Lee is a go in pre-season and looks close to 100%, 50/50 Cole even makes the roster. He would clearly be the WR5 on team.
Megalodon
hankrip wrote:
If Lee is a go in pre-season and looks close to 100%, 50/50 Cole even makes the roster. He would clearly be the WR5 on team.

Yeah, WR5 sounds about right. He would have to have an absolute monster preseason and training camp to surpass any of the guys in front of him.
Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:
Hes still the player he was in 2017, but 2018 wasnt the position he played in 17.

They gave that to Moncrief and pushed him into the Lee role (Lee IR'd in PS wk3, Dede & Moncrief in, playcalling changed to try to increase Bortles efficiency - a la Carr in OAK)

I get why they did it (Circumstances). 100%. I even agree with it.

But thats not Coles' thing. Never has been. Always a touch optimistic/unrealistic for a guy with his exp (Was purely a DB in HS, only moved to WR in College. Hes 6'2 and fast, had to learn Lee's spot only in last week of PS) to just "slide" across - esp w/other offensive issues (QB, Run game, D etc) plaguing the team.

JAX need to either change personnel groupings ... or hope for a 2nd yr leap at his new position ... trade him, or let him go.

They also need to invest some behind Lee instead of downfield guys - no matter how well theyve done price wise (and they have) all the time (Arob, Hurns, Coles, Westbrook, Chark, Moncrief, Conley). Lee's OK, but he can be improved on at least in terms of health/ durability.

JAX WRs: Dede - Chark - Lee ... all cheaper than keeping Coles and all contracted for 2020 (RFA) for next season

In dynas, if ive got a roster spot? Im happy to pick up Coles at some point this year and stash him in the hope JAX offer him a low tender offer, or let him walk (Jags projected $9m over cap in 2020 atm)

Maybe that contributed to it, but the dude was a major liability and I think it's more than just changing to another WR spot. He probably just makes it due to the 2018 season but as hankrip and I said, I can't see him being more than a WR5 (assuming Lee can play) and it's going to limit his opportunities a lot.

I agree we need more help at WR, but I think the front office is happy with our group right now. Chark did do better at the end of the year, so maybe he'll continue to develop. Him and DeDe would be a nice duo if both reached their ceiling. I'd guess Lee is gone next year.

Next year's WR class currently looks to be better at the top than we've seen in a while. That at least gives them some options next year unless Foles doesn't work out, in the case they probably try to move up for a QB
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,421.10
Markulous wrote:
hankrip wrote:

Yeah, WR5 sounds about right. He would have to have an absolute monster preseason and training camp to surpass any of the guys in front of him.

I think this comes down to how you felt about him as a prospect.

I loved his production profile, but had concerns because of his level of competition.

Then he went out and balled in the NFL in his rookie year; proving that he has the chops to succeed against high level competition.

There are a lot of reasons he might've taken a step back last season (more defensive attention, fatal flaw discovered by defensive coordinators, the change in position highlighted by Jam above, the O-line corroding making his route inventory less effective, Cody Kessler/Blake Bortles struggling to deal with a poor O-line-- Which would affect Cole's game more than Dede/Moncrief who's are superior atheletes who rely less on nuance to get open, an undisclosed injury).

I don't think it's correct to say he's the WR5, currently. He was on the field for the 3rd most amount of snaps last season (behind Moncrief-- who's gone, and Dede). Maybe Lee, and Chark jump him this year-- but I never liked Chark coming out of college and thought he was overdrafted because he blew up the combine. He's likely somewhere around the 3rd or 4th option, currently.

Is Keelan a flier? For sure, but he's a decent one in Dynasty.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Chum
Sand$: 77.04
I'm liking Ronald Jones or Peyton Hillis. Keep a eye on that backfield for a "cheap" starter.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,841.00
:lol:

You mean Peyton barber.
Megalodon
Love the Hillis throwback =D>

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 36,875.60
James Harrison is my guy for this year.

Megalodon
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:James Harrison is my guy for this year.

Unless its sack heavy or balanced, the "X"-risson LB who is your guy this year?

Its got to be Kirk Morrison, right?

Could be primed for a big year.

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 36,875.60
Maybe his name wasn't James Harrison, it's all fuzzy thinking back. Browns RB who went on a tear for a year while Hillis was down.