Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 35,151.54
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:
mstrbass2000 wrote:
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:Hasn't the recent trend been to not pay safeties?

safeties were in demand this yr and got paid

Ah. There seemed to be a bunch of OLD safeties that aren't as talented as Jackson on the market looking for work so I was thinking the trend was down.

FTFY
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 23,948.34
Elmagister wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/safety/

I didn't go beyond the top 5, but they're all at or near the end of their deals.

Here again are the top safety cap hits.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,541.30
Elmagister wrote:

I didn't go beyond the top 5, but they're all at or near the end of their deals.

add more cost's on jackson plus being under water by 27 million going into 2020
Supreme Megalodon
mstrbass2000 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:

add more cost's on jackson plus being under water by 27 million going into 2020

You think that cap number is final, or can they work to change it?

Please try to respond without using the phrases call hell out kick the can.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,541.30
every move made to a contract in order to get cap room only makes the yrs to follow more expensive,at this rate they will restructure macks deal a few more times and end up cutting him cause they can't afford him at 30+ million a yr or they keep him and lose talent all over the field to free agency
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 76,458.26
mstrbass2000 wrote:
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:Hasn't the recent trend been to not pay safeties?

safeties were in demand this yr and got paid

Their were a lot in free agency this year.
Supreme Megalodon
Robinson, prince, and Patterson will be cuts (2020) that would put the Bears at over 50 million in cap space, that includes what they should come into 2020 with.
Supreme Megalodon
rugger48 wrote:Robinson, prince, and Patterson will be cuts (2020) that would put the Bears at over 50 million in cap space, that includes what they should come into 2020 with.

And by then they will have to pay:
Hicks $20m or more
Jackson $13-$15m or more
Trubisky $30m or more

That’s just a skosh more than $50m. Just sayin.
Sand$: 41,285.19
SJSwarm wrote:
rugger48 wrote:Robinson, prince, and Patterson will be cuts (2020) that would put the Bears at over 50 million in cap space, that includes what they should come into 2020 with.

Hicks $20m or more
Jackson $13-$15m or more
Trubisky $30m or more

That’s not how cap numbers work though
Supreme Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:
SJSwarm wrote:

Hicks $20m or more
Jackson $13-$15m or more
Trubisky $30m or more

That’s not how cap numbers work though

That.

That was also the 3 players that I seen right away. Do you somehow think tge raiders won’t gave to bake these decisions?
Megalodon
Sand$: 17,893.78
endzoneview wrote:Who is expendable for the Bears in 2020?
Who's extendable?
When does Mitch get paid?

Firstly seen some weird numbers. Bears proj 4.4million over cap. Not 20. Not 24. Not anything else.

Anyone who has a different figure isnt doing this properly. The fact Sportrac cant even understand its ONLY THE HIGHEST PAID 51 PLAYERS WHO COUNT VS CAP should make anyone wary of any number from there. In CHI's case, that means theyve added 9 million to their cap figure erroneously & straight off the bat :F

So, hard to take them seriously or look any further (GIGO)

Would suggest ppl use a site where they actually know how cap works (theyve written a book most reporters use to understand cap. Ive got a copy. Its good.) and is (one of many) sites Sportrac plagiarises for their contract info:

overthecap.com (then click on the 2020 tab)

Secondly, CBA year, so there might not even be a cap and league goes "Unrestricted cap" (like last time). Even if they dont? Theyve increased the salary cap by 10mill per season, each season, for past 5, iirc?

So either way, the first thing to note is: Even if they cut noone? I highly doubt theyre over cap next year.

All that ^^ being said? Here are the quick and dirty cuts.

L.Floyd - 13.2million (Underperformed)
    P.Amukamara - 7million (31yo CB)
    C.Patterson - 4.75million (Its Cpattz, innit)
    T.Gabriel - 2.5million (Replaceable)
    M.Davis - 2million (Inj prone RB: Monty, Cohen, Kerrith etc)

^^ Theres 30+million in cap space.

Took about 5 minutes. All replaceable. Not painful.

- Floyd the "big" name, but hes a full 16 games removed from the 2yrs that made him look like a tier 1 edge, so that price tag isnt justified atm (#42 edge in 18). Maybe a reneg'd deal would be best for both? But a repeat of 2018 would make him an extremely likely candidate.
- Despite age, would actually like to see Amukamara re-neg'd vs cut more than Floyd. Still good. Should still have a season or 2 in him, but will depend on his expectations, Floyds 2019 perf (if its an either or) & his own 2019 performance.

mstrbass2000 wrote:have you seen how bad the bears cap is gonna be next yr ???
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap/2020/

eventually this is gonna implode em

Dunno why Raiders fans would think Bears are gonna implode, but then they said Davis was too poor to pay signings for players too (AB, Trent Brown, Lamarcus Joyner, Tyrell Williams etc etc) :dontknow:

------------------

Trubisky? They could re-sign him now. If they believe in him (I dont, but thats up to them - not me)

With a year left at $9m next year (2020), i dont see why Trubiskys agents would accept less than that & i cant see how, even a really backloaded and bonus/ signing converted contract, would lower that enough.

So, cant realistically see an easy route for a deal in 2019 - even before allowing for the comfort level of commitment from CHI vs production to-date.

CHI will have their 5th yr option with him - if they want to exercise it - so theyve got him 19, 20, 21 (5th yr) & 22 (Franchise*) if they like (*Barring any unforseen changes to the franchise tag in next CBA)

As such, im not sure this is a discussion thatll be had till, at earliest, 2020.

There may be some wiggle room between his 9mill/ 2019 cap number and the closer $22+mill/ 5th yr would be - especially if he udnerperforms in 19 &/or 20.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Agree, I don't think Turbisky is a for sure thing to get that next deal but there is no rush. After 2020 sounds like a good bet and by then who knows what the caps is going to look like or what players they are going to need to pay in 2021. Looking past the next two seasons and trying to make a guess on what the cap situation is going to look like for any team is a fools errand.
Supreme Megalodon
I am of the opinion that teams that spend 20% or more of their cap on 2 DL's don't usually win championships.

Has there ever been a Super Bowl winning team that did that?

Cause I think we can all agree that Hicks, who was probably the 2nd or 3rd most disruptive DT in football last season, is the least replaceable out of the upcoming Bears FA's. And it will cost $45M a year to keep him and Mack.

Guess time will tell if that is a recipe for success, but I don't think it is.
Supreme Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:I am of the opinion that teams that spend 20% or more of their cap on 2 DL's don't usually win championships.

Has there ever been a Super Bowl winning team that did that?

Cause I think we can all agree that Hicks, who was probably the 2nd or 3rd most disruptive DT in football last season, is the least replaceable out of the upcoming Bears FA's. And it will cost $45M a year to keep him and Mack.

Guess time will tell if that is a recipe for success, but I don't think it is.

The Ravens probably had quite a bit tied up into their defense for both super bowl runs. I'm too lazy to check though, because this is a lazy metric.
I think Vince Wilfork was well paid throughout his career. Tedy Bruschi probably.

Fletcher Cox was paid.

It would be interesting to look back on