Sand$: 41,706.09
Of course the cap is going to go up. Everyone knows that. But not by $23m. Everyone knows that. That’s all. You made a lot of good points I just found this one to be unnecessary. Not a big deal, carry on.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,705.94
endzoneview wrote:Of course the cap is going to go up. Everyone knows that. But not by $23m. Everyone knows that. That’s all. You made a lot of good points I just found this one to be unnecessary. Not a big deal, carry on.

Id agree :)

But when ppl have accelerated straight to cutting Harrison Smith & Linval - based on a badly phrased "either/ or" proposal by Goessling.

Could be we've strayed from unecessary/ obvious to all, as possibly helpful to some!

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,396.52
jamcutpost wrote:
endzoneview wrote:Of course the cap is going to go up. Everyone knows that. But not by $23m. Everyone knows that. That’s all. You made a lot of good points I just found this one to be unnecessary. Not a big deal, carry on.

Id agree :)

But when ppl have accelerated straight to cutting Harrison Smith & Linval - based on a badly phrased "either/ or" proposal by Goessling.

Could be we've strayed from unecessary/ obvious to all, as possibly helpful to some!

I was just throwing out names of contracts they could move on from, obviously if they would have to evaluate who they would cut , if they had to cut someone.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,800.56
Cut or trade candidates for 2020: Rudolph, Reiff, Griff, Rhodes, Alexander, Joseph off the top of my head.
Megalodon
Sand$: 44,085.88
TheJayCutlers wrote:Cut or trade candidates for 2020: Rudolph, Reiff, Griff, Rhodes, Alexander, Joseph off the top of my head.

What's the point of giving Rudolph an extension if you don't intend to keep him?
Sand$: 114,858.22
und2006 wrote:
TheJayCutlers wrote:Cut or trade candidates for 2020: Rudolph, Reiff, Griff, Rhodes, Alexander, Joseph off the top of my head.

What's the point of giving Rudolph an extension if you don't intend to keep him?

Lower his cap # this year. I don't remember if they were over the cap before the extension or right up against it, but now they have $5.2m in cap space.

I doubt he's #1 on the cut list right now (I'd be shocked if it's anyone but Griff), but a regression coupled with Irv Smith surpassing expectations could do it.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,800.56
OarChambo wrote:
und2006 wrote:

Lower his cap # this year. I don't remember if they were over the cap before the extension or right up against it, but now they have $5.2m in cap space.

I doubt he's #1 on the cut list right now (I'd be shocked if it's anyone but Griff), but a regression coupled with Irv Smith surpassing expectations could do it.

They needed to adjust Rudolph's contract to be able to sign Bradbury
Megalodon
TheJayCutlers wrote:They needed to adjust Rudolph's contract to be able to sign Bradbury

Kendricks too.

Rudolphs future will hinge on if the post June 1st designation makes it into the new CBA. Its not used very often, so some are speculating it might be done away with.

If the post June 1st designation survives? They can move on next year and save $6.5m with it.
If it doesnt make it into the CBA? They wont be able to move him till 2021 for any sort of net cap relief - and even then its really minimal (800k)

So, depends what you think of CBA shenanigans as to his future in Minny: Could go next year, could be around till 2022.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Mon 06.17.2019, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,932.20
vikings dominant defense 2017,playoffs and out
2018 add an expensive piece in kirk cousins,defense declines,out of play offs
2019 up against cap,needs to trim fat like barr/rudolph but extends em anyway
2020 under water,tough decisions on whom to cut/keep but also how to replace the cuts,salary cap rises but players salaries also go up

if the vikings dont make the playoffs,i can see this team imploding
Megalodon
Sand$: 36,700.34
:F

Megalodon
mstrbass2000 wrote:2019 up against cap,needs to trim fat like barr/rudolph but extends em anyway
2020 under water,tough decisions on whom to cut/keep but also how to replace the cuts,salary cap rises but players salaries also go up

1) Kendricks far more so than Barr.
2) 2020 not tough: Lose Xavier Rhodes (8m) then massage 2-3 contracts in renegotiations (10m out of potential 21m from just 3 players) and theyre comfortably under the cap.

And this is all making the assumption that 2020 isnt an "Uncapped Season" - just like the last time the CBA dragged on.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Mon 06.17.2019, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,932.20
jamcutpost wrote:
mstrbass2000 wrote:2019 up against cap,needs to trim fat like barr/rudolph but extends em anyway

1) Kendricks far more so than Barr.
2) 2020 not tough: Lose Xavier Rhodes (8m) then massage 2-3 contracts in renegotiations (10m) and theyre about 6-7m under the cap.

And this is all making the assumption that 2020 isnt an "Uncapped Season" - just like the last time the CBA dragged on.

massage contracts,just means kicking it down the road and ill add kendricks to the list of hard decision they should have made this yr
Megalodon
mstrbass2000 wrote:massage contracts,just means kicking it down the road and ill add kendricks to the list of hard decision they should have made this yr

Yes, it does mean kicking it down the road.

But when the cap increases 10-12million per season, its not anything like an insurmountable problem.

Especially given how quickly rosters change.

-------------------

And no Kendricks wasnt a hard decision, just a dumb one. Up there with the Bills and Charles Clay (amongst many others).

Kendricks is an average Linebacker. Not great, barely good, not bad. Yet they overpaid by a lot giving him top 6 money.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Mon 06.17.2019, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

- Douglas Adams
Sand$: 41,706.09
Wasn’t the last “uncapped” season essentially capped with some behind the scenes collusion? We can probably just toss that out of future conversations unless I’m misremembering which is possible.
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:Wasn’t the last “uncapped” season essentially capped with some behind the scenes collusion? We can probably just toss that out of future conversations unless I’m misremembering which is possible.

Nah, it was uncapped (only minimum spends enforced) just DAL & WAS abused it.

They were "penalized" for it. Ill dig it up - But itd be a mistake to chuck it out imho.

NFLPA did spend 5yrs trying to prove collusion, before a federal judge bounced it in 2015.

EDIT: More info here & here

CLIFFS: The more likely it is there is a lockout, the more likely it is that Owners wont "enforce" the cap, only a mandate to honour contractually obligated minimums so owners out of pocket "expenses" (ie personnel payments) are kept to a minimum.

DAL & WAS did it wrong by trying to get deals done to specifically target 2010's nebulosity, which was what the Owners didnt want (Anyone either breaking ranks to get a competitive edge &/or drawing a spotlight onto the shady bit of business they were all indulging in)

DAL did it wrong by frontloading Miles Austin by a gigantic amount (54m/ 6yr contract BUT yr 1 salary was 17m, salary dropped to 7m pa thereafter. 17m was a LOT even back then) ... WAS got collared in more spectacular fashion by spending an insane amount on Fat Albert (of all the ppl in the league youd give a 32million signing to :F :D ).

- Douglas Adams