Megalodon
Sand$: 19,727.28
ubertaco wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:I didn't say that Cohen should get more touches. I'm saying the only reason he's not a workhorse is because his body can't handle it. Why does it make sense to lighten his workload when his RB touches will very likely be far more efficient than Monty's?

Based on ... What, exactly? :-k

Probably based off of how efficient Cohens touches were already.

Now, quibble words like 'far more' leave a lot to how one wants to argue either side of it.

But Cohen in 2 seasons has a 4.4 ypc and a 8.7ypr. Do you think Montgomery is going to to better than either of those with more touches? Cohen only averages about 6 rushes per game and around 5 targets per game anyway. I could see those going up personally.

1) I asked about "Quality of touches". Pointing to past efficiency or success, that doesnt answer that.

Thats a different answer to a different question (the one you asked yourself later :wink: )

If you are going to ask "Do you think Montgomery could do the same with those touches" what you have to ask yourself is

Would Cohen do as well on Montgomery's/ Howard's? No. He wouldnt.

Does it matter if that is right or wrong? No, because its what Nagy believes and thats all that matters

The answer to would Montgomery do as well outside/ pass catching? Well, thats open for debate, but yes - i think so.

Last yr CHI had ONE CoP/ 3rd down back. They now have THREE that can run outside ... run routes ... and catch. Thats not a positive for Cohens outlook, even if he is the best at it.

-----------------------

2) Cohen had a perfect storm last year as far as a pass catching RB could hope for: Multiple injuries @TE & WR ... only a limited RB for touch competition ... a QB who was struggling ... a stellar defence?

Thats as good as it gets in terms of Opps/ touches, no?

Last year, every week we all asked "Why not more Cohen?". We didnt get it.

Why?

How has his outlook remained the same this offseason? And not gotten slightly worse - not better?

Ppl seem to think (and i dont mean ppl here) that if you say "Cohen #'s down this year" its some sort of attack on Cohen or that you dont think hes fun to watch or that means you must think Montgomery will "out-Cohen Cohen" QED.

There are other positions that arent that binary.

The prod vs the great frame he had last year ... what happened this offseason ... how Nagy seems to view him ... what Montgomery can do

Cohens still viable as an RB3-4, but his #'s will be down & id take that bet with anyone based on everything CHI have done & said vs what id like to believe & what id like to see.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon

Matt Bowen wrote:“He’s going to thrive in the offense, and people will say 'wow'. His game will transition to the pro game. Fit and opportunity is everything. David’s opportunity will be there, both in run and pass game. His fit is there, because that’s what he did so well in college.

Matt Nagy, Early Camp wrote:“We always knew he had great hands. You don’t know how great of a route runner a college back is, but he’s a really good route runner. . . . This kid can’t wait. [Neither can] Mike Davis and these other backs. They want to put the pads on.”

OC Helfrich wrote:“Somebody after the [draft] compared him to [Matt] Forte, that’s pretty rare air around here. They gave him the compliment — and hopefully Matt Forte thinks this is a compliment — of maybe not a 10 anywhere, but a lot of 9s.”

Matt Nagy post PS1 wrote:"This kid’s DNA is rare, I don’t want to overblow – he’s got a ways to go. I don’t want to make this... him the next great, you know, great back in this great organization, but he’s headed in the right direction"

"He runs hard. He runs really, really hard. He runs violent. He's angry when he runs, and he's tough to bring down with that first defender, so we like that. And you can see what he can do in the pass game as well - made some nice catches and runs after the catch."

"He wanted more. That kid won't stop."

Of the following RBs: Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, Trayveon Williams, Devin Singletary, RyQuell Armstead, Mike Weber, Alexander Mattison, Bruce Anderson, Devine Ozigbo, Myles Gaskin, Benny Snell, Bryce Love, James Williams, Dexter Williams, and Darrell Henderson

Montgomery had:

9% of team passes (#2)
    0% drops (T-1st)
    0.83 yds per route run (Top half)
    98.6 pass blocking grade(#1)

Chicago '18 recap:

Notable Injuries: Zach Miller, Adam Shaheen, Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller
    "Leading" WR: Taylor Gabriel (11 GS, 67recs, 688yds, 2TD)
    Cohen/ Howard recs: (71/ 20)*

*Cohen was CHI #1 for recs last year - even inc WRs & TEs. Do we think thats sustainable?

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,702.60
I'm not going to even try to answer that.

If you think Cohen is going to get less work, feel free to think that. I don't think there's as strong a case for that as you do.

As you said somewhere in there, all that matters is Nagy. Welp?

Cohen averaged ~6 rushes and ~5 targets per game over his career, not just looking at the 'perfect storm' you mentioned.

Those numbers for a guy who has a unique still set compared to the other RBs seem high to you? I don't even really know what the point of this is. Monty is going to get a lot of work. Cohen is still going to get whatever amount of work Nagy wants to give him.

Not sure why you want to ignore the past when the past is literally the only thing anyone has to base a judgement off of.

The problem with the Bears is still that Trubisky is just a bad QB. The dump offs and oulets to RBs are a big part of that offense for a reason. Getting back TEs and WRs isn't going to change the accuracy and read problems that the QB has.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,956.10
jamcutpost wrote:
ubertaco wrote:Probably based off of how efficient Cohens touches were already.

Now, quibble words like 'far more' leave a lot to how one wants to argue either side of it.

But Cohen in 2 seasons has a 4.4 ypc and a 8.7ypr. Do you think Montgomery is going to to better than either of those with more touches? Cohen only averages about 6 rushes per game and around 5 targets per game anyway. I could see those going up personally.

1) I asked about "Quality of touches". Pointing to past efficiency or success, that doesnt answer that.

Thats a different answer to a different question (the one you asked yourself later :wink: )

If you are going to ask "Do you think Montgomery could do the same with those touches" what you have to ask yourself is

Would Cohen do as well on Montgomery's/ Howard's? No. He wouldnt.

Does it matter if that is right or wrong? No, because its what Nagy believes and thats all that matters

The answer to would Montgomery do as well outside/ pass catching? Well, thats open for debate, but yes - i think so.

Last yr CHI had ONE CoP/ 3rd down back. They now have THREE that can run outside ... run routes ... and catch. Thats not a positive for Cohens outlook, even if he is the best at it.

-----------------------

2) Cohen had a perfect storm last year as far as a pass catching RB could hope for: Multiple injuries @TE & WR ... only a limited RB for touch competition ... a QB who was struggling ... a stellar defence?

Thats as good as it gets in terms of Opps/ touches, no?

Last year, every week we all asked "Why not more Cohen?". We didnt get it.

Why?

How has his outlook remained the same this offseason? And not gotten slightly worse - not better?

Ppl seem to think (and i dont mean ppl here) that if you say "Cohen #'s down this year" its some sort of attack on Cohen or that you dont think hes fun to watch or that means you must think Montgomery will "out-Cohen Cohen" QED.

There are other positions that arent that binary.

The prod vs the great frame he had last year ... what happened this offseason ... how Nagy seems to view him ... what Montgomery can do

Cohens still viable as an RB3-4, but his #'s will be down & id take that bet with anyone based on everything CHI have done & said vs what id like to believe & what id like to see.

While all of this is true, I'm going to have to disagree with your 'perfect storm' narrative.

Game-script is the most important factor for Satellite backs; and the bears were 12-4 behind the best defense in football last season. Cohen's production was less because of his circumstances, and more a scripted effort by Nagy to utilize his talents. While injuries did happen, the Bears were far from barren at receiver and had a very deep group of pass catchers throughout the year.

Cohen's efficiency in the passing game last year wasn't just good.. it was historic. Some regression is inevitable; but I don't believe his efficiency and production in this area was a fluke and is very much representative of his abilities.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Megalodon
zuggyawesome wrote:While all of this is true, I'm going to have to disagree with your 'perfect storm' narrative.

Game-script is the most important factor for Satellite backs; and the bears were 12-4 behind the best defense in football last season. Cohen's production was less because of his circumstances, and more a scripted effort by Nagy to utilize his talents. While injuries did happen, the Bears were far from barren at receiver and had a very deep group of pass catchers throughout the year.

Cohen's efficiency in the passing game last year wasn't just good.. it was historic. Some regression is inevitable; but I don't believe his efficiency and production in this area was a fluke and is very much representative of his abilities.

1) You keep talking about his efficiency. Mentioned it in at least 3 different posts, but i ahvent actually seen explained what you mean by that.

More improtantly why it should dictate how you use a player in other phases/ aspects of the game.

It would be best if you could expand on that as maybe thats causing some confusion?

2) As ive said in my past 2 post - this isnt an attack on Cohen and ive no idea why some seem to think it is.

Rereading that last cpl lines, i think you still think his "ability" is being attacked/ questioned somehow :dontknow:

Ive never posted anything about his ability - only about: CHI, 2018 circumstances, how those circumstances have changed in 2019.

-------------------------

12- 4, Yes. In everything else, not so much. The gamescript DID favour Cohen

Of their 17 game season (inc the WC game) CHI had

ELEVEN that were 1 score games
    FIVE of those 11 were by a single FG or less

Gamescript - in close games - favours running plays & high %age short passes (because you have to throw at some point/ cant run x3, then another 3, then another etc etc)

Ill reiterate.

Wiki: Perfect Storm wrote:A perfect storm is an event in which a rare combination of circumstances drastically aggravates the event.

They had receiving issues (injuries to receivers: Arob, AMiller, ZMiller, Shaheen)
    They had an RB compliment who couldnt catch
    That came OFF the field on 3rd downs
    Gamescript that favoured Cohen (11 x 1 score games, 5 of those an FG or less)
    New HC/OC (Nagy 2018)
    Soph QB
    Switch in O from Loggain's to Nagy's

Thats a rare combination of circumstances that drastically changed Cohens production in terms of looks, targets, recs and therefore ydge & thats why he ended up as their leading receiver in 2018.

Seems to be much (much) harder work than it needs to be to suggest that maybe - just maybe - CHI dont agree with FF owners about Cohens usage in 2019

- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,956.10
jamcutpost wrote:
1) You keep talking about his efficiency. Mentioned it in at least 3 different posts, but i ahvent actually seen explained what you mean by that.

More improtantly why it should dictate how you use a player in other phases/ aspects of the game.

It would be best if you could expand on that as maybe thats causing some confusion?

I mentioned this earlier, but I guess it's easy to miss

Cohen is a threat out of the backfield in the passing game. In order to improve his quarterback’s efficiency, he should be looked at early and often this season. He finished fourth among running backs by combining for 30 first downs and touchdowns through the air. He averaged 7.6 yards after the catch and forced 16 missed tackles on 71 receptions. With rookie David Montgomery the likely team leader in carries, Cohen’s best usage should come via the passing game, which should help Trubisky.

Finishing as the second-most valuable running back per PFF’s WAR metric, Cohen is a prime example of an NFL back with high-end successes across nearly all of our advanced receiving stats. He led all qualifying backs in yards per route run (2.37), logged just one drop and recorded an impressive 111.0 passer rating when targeted.

He also graded out as the #10 RB via PFF last season (that's as a running back, not just as a receiving back).

As for why this would affect his usage: I mentioned this earlier as well, but why wouldn't they give such an efficient RB as many touches as he can handle? Is it possible that Montgomery is as efficient? Sure, but given his lack of athleticism and Cohen's phenomenal efficiency in that area the odds are stacked against him.

Wiki: Perfect Storm wrote:A perfect storm is an event in which a rare combination of circumstances drastically aggravates the event.

jamcutpost wrote:
    They had receiving issues (injuries to receivers: Arob, AMiller, ZMiller, Shaheen)
    They had an RB compliment who couldnt catch
    That came OFF the field on 3rd downs
    Gamescript that favoured Cohen (11 x 1 score games, 5 of those an FG or less)
    New HC/OC (Nagy 2018)
    Soph QB
    Switch in O from Loggain's to Nagy's

Thats a rare combination of circumstances that drastically changed Cohens production in terms of looks, targets, recs and therefore ydge & thats why he ended up as their leading receiver in 2018.

The bears spent a lot of FA money to hoard receiving talent last offseason. Even with those injuries they still had some combination of Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton to catch passes. They had the depth to absorb injuries.. so I just don't agree that they were ever in dire need of a RB to take those receptions; much more likely those targets went to Cohen because his talent deserved them, imo.

And... close games generally are not positive game scripts for 3rd down backs. I think we can both agree that teams pass more when they're trying to lengthen the game in comeback mode, correct?

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Megalodon
zuggyawesome wrote:Cohen is a threat out of the backfield in the passing game. In order to improve his quarterback’s efficiency, he should be looked at early and often this season. He finished fourth among running backs by combining for 30 first downs and touchdowns through the air. He averaged 7.6 yards after the catch and forced 16 missed tackles on 71 receptions. With rookie David Montgomery the likely team leader in carries, Cohen’s best usage should come via the passing game, which should help Trubisky.

Finishing as the second-most valuable running back per PFF’s WAR metric, Cohen is a prime example of an NFL back with high-end successes across nearly all of our advanced receiving stats. He led all qualifying backs in yards per route run (2.37), logged just one drop and recorded an impressive 111.0 passer rating when targeted.

He also graded out as the #10 RB via PFF last season (that's as a running back, not just as a receiving back).

Qu: Where did CHI rank as unit. Offensively. As a whole last season?

zuggyawesome wrote:As for why this would affect his usage: I mentioned this earlier as well, but why wouldn't they give such an efficient RB as many touches as he can handle? Is it possible that Montgomery is as efficient? Sure, but given his lack of athleticism and Cohen's phenomenal efficiency in that area the odds are stacked against him.

zuggyawesome wrote:And... close games generally are not positive game scripts for 3rd down backs. I think we can both agree that teams pass more when they're trying to lengthen the game in comeback mode, correct?

Maybe im missing it, but that requoted post doesnt explain what your definition of effiency is.

I probably am missing it, but maybe you mean "Productive per touch". That says what it means.

All i read here is how he improved the QB efficiency.

Efficiency is used by a lot of FF ppl and they all use it differently.

--------------------------

zuggyawesome wrote:The bears spent a lot of FA money to hoard receiving talent last offseason. Even with those injuries they still had some combination of Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton to catch passes. They had the depth to absorb injuries.. so I just don't agree that they were ever in dire need of a RB to take those receptions; much more likely those targets went to Cohen because his talent deserved them, imo

Talent.

Thats THE most likely reason...No other ... that Cohen got a lot of checkdowns, bubbles and screens?

zuggyawesome wrote:Trubisquette reminds me way too much of Bortles. He was way more productive in college so his ceiling is significantly higher but I've shied away from that entire passing attack. Otherwise I'd be all over Allen Robinson and Andre Miller at their current ADPs

So, you wouldnt touch it, because hes not very good, but, Cohen got those TGTs based primarily on talent & not a QBs Bortles-esque inability to get it even as far as his slot WR Miller, but they didnt NEED a pass catchign RB last year (in spite of Howard and a QB that cant get it to their slot) :-k :-k

To recap 2018 bears O, for whats hopefully the last time:

"Bortlesque" Sophomore QB
    You wouldnt even trust to throw to his slot (Miller)
    Learning a new Scheme
    Who had a shoulder inj for the final 1/4 of the season (missed 2 games)
    A rotation @WR/TE (Chemistry)
    A poor RB1
    Who came off on 3rd down & lost some of the other two sporadically too
    Traded for a conditional 6th & not gtd to be the starter on the new team either

Dont know about anyone else, but that sounds to me, like eactly the sort of team that WOULD use a pass catching RB - esp w/Nagy as a HC/OC

Some might call a perfect storm for Cohen. You disagree obviously, c'est la vie. Fair to say i disagree that "talent" was the primary factor that got him 71 recs.

-------------------------------

I think its also fair to ask you think the general rules youd apply to WR1 or RB1 differentiations and gamescript affect non-WR1 & non-RB1 players.

Especially in the modern game.

Whether its a satellite/ scat/ 3rd down/ HB/ FB/ Slot/ Joker/ Move/ TE/ Slot/ Big slot or any other denomination. Its normal and gamescript neutral.

GS favoured Cohen last year because the leads were never big enough to risk Trubisky heaving it deep (esp after wk12 and the shoudler inj)

Having an OC like Nagy (History, playcalling) as well as Trubisky (Issues), i dont see why they wouldnt checkdown, bubble/ screen and slant their way to offensive mediocrity last year regardless of script and in those conditions they had last year?

And thats got nothing to do with talent, efficiency or any other metric of any single player (if you missed the qu, how did CHI rank as unit as a whole on offense last year?)

Having worked at PFF, i can tell you the stats are valuable, but you need to look at more than a single player and their metrics to use them properly. Context is absolutely everything in all things.

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
The first of our awards that spans multiple positions sees Arizona Cardinals RB David Johnson earn an award most would expect to go to a wide receiver. Johnson’s work as a receiver for the Cardinals this season, however, was spectacular. Only Larry Fitzgerald had more targets, receptions and receiving yards than Johnson for Arizona this year, as he racked up 80 catches (most among RBs) for 879 yards (most among RBs), forcing 27 missed tackles after the catch to gain that yardage (again, most among RBs). Johnson actually finished the season with the highest PFF receiving grade (92.6) of any player at any position, narrowly edging Mike Evans and Julio Jones at wide receiver.

Tarik Cohen was graded 73.4 overall by PFF. Overall. Not just receiving stats.

What was David Johnson in 2016. Overall? What was he in 2018?

63.8? Jordan Howard graded better (68.9).

Does that mean DJ isnt talented (and ill repeat noone has said Cohen isnt), no of course not, but it does mean external factors play a role ... it does mean hes better at some things, than others.

Same w/Riddick ... Same w/Ekeler ... Same w/Cohen.

Theyve all scored over the 90's in receiving grades, but none of them are guys you want to be making plays through the middle, up the gut on a regular basis. Im sure they can do it, but youre not using them to their best if you do.

IDK how ppl are projecting Cohen. But i feel he maxed out last year production wise thanks to multiple factors.

He could do more on less ... the same on less ... or worse on less, but im only seeing less. Less touches. Less tgts.

Good coaches will let players play to their strengths. The problem Cohen has is that receiving is one of Montys strengths & if they do use him more on O they might use him less on ST - and he racks up some pts there too. So those would be missed.

If Anthony Miller steps up this yr - as some believe... if Trubisky can improve (on any level)? Between that & the arrival of Monty & Davis, im finding it hard to see Cohen getting the tgts he was forced to get last year.

And thats got nothing to do with any personal talent level.

- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,702.60
You do know that Cohen also played in 2017 for the Bears right? Remind us who was coaching that team and who the QB was?

And yes, his efficiency (which is not a hard concept to understand, what do you want that to mean beyond yard per touch?) went up, but his usage remained fairly similar.

The thing is that you are arguing like a fantasy owner who is in love with Montgomery and thinks he should get all the touches. That's not how NFL coaches work, and that's not how Nagy worked specifically last year.

So sure, while Monty may be a much better player than Howard was/is, that doesn't mean he's going to get 400 touches. NFL coaches seem to have grasped that it's better for the health of their players to not pile the touches on (with some exceptions, or when the backups are JAG). And even if Monty is a superior player to Cohen (remains to be seen when talking efficiency) Cohen is not JAG, he's one of the most efficient RBs in the game.

The argument that Cohen is going to lose touches to Monty is based on pure desire for it to happen. There is nothing in (the all be it short) history of Cohen on that team to suggest it's realistic. The oddly complicating factor for Monty is the presence of Davis, since past Bears teams had basically no RBs worth mentioning after Howard and Cohen.

Fantasy owners often fall into this trap of projecting what a player *should* do if the coach used them the way a fantasy owner would use them. That's what I see you doing in projecting Cohen to get fewer touches to give Monty more. It makes sense from a fantasy perspective, but it doesn't make sense from an NFL perspective. Especially seeing how the trend of late for many teams is to use RBBC or more specialized players for various downs/distances.

None of that is suggesting that Cohen should be picked higher than where he is, or that Monty is going to be a bust though.
Sand$: 115,056.08
zuggyawesome wrote:The bears spent a lot of FA money to hoard receiving talent last offseason. Even with those injuries they still had some combination of Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton to catch passes. They had the depth to absorb injuries..

I don't agree.

For context:

Robinson was in yr 1 post ACL. I don't think many account for a player potentially not being themselves for a full year post-return. At this stage they're rarely anywhere near 100%. They're just healthy enough to play. And have spent the last year just trying to get to that point and not actually get better.

Miller played through a serious shoulder injury almost all season. I don't think many account for just how bad this injury was - that he was able to do as much as he did despite it and being a rookie should be head turning stuff.

Gabriel's just a role player. A role player the Bears had to use more than they wanted because of lack of alternatives.

---

I think the talent is under whelming, but all of that is a big reason why they went out and added Riley Ridley. They needed another bullet in that chamber.
Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:You do know that Cohen also played in 2017 for the Bears right? Remind us who was coaching that team and who the QB was?

John Fox/ Dowell Loggains & Trubisky

You *DID* read the parts wher i called Trubisky a SOPHOMORE and NOT a rookie, right? I did it a cpl of times. Check

And yes, his efficiency (which is not a hard concept to understand, what do you want that to mean beyond yard per touch?) went up, but his usage remained fairly similar.

Because efficiency - as ive said (do you read it, or just what you want to?) means different things to different FF ppl. Thats "not a hard concept to udnerstand", surely.

The thing is that you are arguing like a fantasy owner who is in love with Montgomery and thinks he should get all the touches. That's not how NFL coaches work, and that's not how Nagy worked specifically last year.

So sure, while Monty may be a much better player than Howard was/is, that doesn't mean he's going to get 400 touches. NFL coaches seem to have grasped that it's better for the health of their players to not pile the touches on (with some exceptions, or when the backups are JAG). And even if Monty is a superior player to Cohen (remains to be seen when talking efficiency) Cohen is not JAG, he's one of the most efficient RBs in the game.

The argument that Cohen is going to lose touches to Monty is based on pure desire for it to happen. There is nothing in (the all be it short) history of Cohen on that team to suggest it's realistic. The oddly complicating factor for Monty is the presence of Davis, since past Bears teams had basically no RBs worth mentioning after Howard and Cohen.

Fantasy owners often fall into this trap of projecting what a player *should* do if the coach used them the way a fantasy owner would use them. That's what I see you doing in projecting Cohen to get fewer touches to give Monty more. It makes sense from a fantasy perspective, but it doesn't make sense from an NFL perspective. Especially seeing how the trend of late for many teams is to use RBBC or more specialized players for various downs/distances.

None of that is suggesting that Cohen should be picked higher than where he is, or that Monty is going to be a bust though.

/sigh. Lets try and get this right.

I own Cohen. In multiple leagues....I own Motgomery in? None. Neither dyna nor redraft.

I can provide links.

Also, if you actually look at everything ive posted over past cpl pages montgomery makes up the minority vs the the state fo the passing game last year and how bad Howard was.

Please check.

As far as i can tell youre making that very common mistake of not realising how much changes in an NFL offseason... and cherrypicking selective metrics to project onto this season - without actually accounting for all the changes.

Why not post your projections this year for Cohen & Montgomery and tell me if you think Arob & Miller have better seasons or not

Because unless Cohen finishes as the #1 overall leading receiver for the bears again, youre agreeing with me that his role is diminished this year & circumstances favoured him last year
Last edited by jamcutpost on Thu 08.15.2019, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:The bears spent a lot of FA money to hoard receiving talent last offseason. Even with those injuries they still had some combination of Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton to catch passes. They had the depth to absorb injuries..

I don't agree.

For context:

Robinson was in yr 1 post ACL. I don't think many account for a player potentially not being themselves for a full year post-return. At this stage they're rarely anywhere near 100%. They're just healthy enough to play. And have spent the last year just trying to get to that point and not actually get better.

Miller played through a serious shoulder injury almost all season. I don't think many account for just how bad this injury was - that he was able to do as much as he did despite it and being a rookie should be head turning stuff.

Gabriel's just a role player. A role player the Bears had to use more than they wanted because of lack of alternatives.

---

I think the talent is under whelming, but all of that is a big reason why they went out and added Riley Ridley. They needed another bullet in that chamber.

Also flirted with Emmanuel Hall in UDFA (Gone to BA & the pass-happy Bucs now) this year
Took Javon Wims last year (Lost year tho - another CHI WR who got the injury bug)
Even Kevin White had to make starts last year - hes also gone.
Also added Cordarelle Patterson - which could be good, bad or status quo for Cohen.

As likely coachspeak as anything else, but Bill gave him 28 tgts and 40+ carries.

In CHI, likely just the new KR as they needed one (Cohen still PR) as it was Benny Cunningham.

Bears coach Matt Nagy sees 'a role' for Cordarrelle Patterson.

"You see what he did in New England with the jet sweeps, the arounds, the screens, and I think that that’s a good fit for him," Nagy said. "But for me it’s kind of like a kid in a candy store. You get to kind of pick which candy you like best, put it together and figure out what he does best." Like with the Patriots last year, Patterson should get some carries and targets in addition to his special teams duties, but it is highly unlikely he carves out a fantasy-relevant role.

- Douglas Adams
Sand$: 115,056.08
Just some observations as I dove into usage trends from last year:

Cohen's only game with double digit carries came in a 48-10 win (it was already 28-3 w/9 mins left in the 2Q)
Cohen had just 8 targets in the Bears first 3 games in 2018.
Cohen's targets shot up week 4-7, right after Anthony Miller's injury and while Allen Robinson was struggling getting his legs under him.
He only saw > 7 targets in a game two more times all season after that stretch - and they were the two games Mitch missed due to injury.

I'm w/jam - they're going to give him a few carries and will target him a few times per game. There will be an uptick here and there when the matchup dictates, but generally speaking the O/U is about 10 touches/game. Last year he was under that number 8 times and pushed thrice. Barring multiple injuries I don't think they have any intention on using him any more than that and would prefer to (usually) be under.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,863.48
I'm just really happy that people are being passionate about the Bears, and it has nothing to do with Jay Cutler.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,833.32
:neutral: