TE Tiers - 2019

Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,140.84
To be fair, though, who is the best TE Arians has had a this disposal? Heath Miller was, well, mediocre at best. Howard is talented. Who was the TE in Indy when he was there with Luck? What about in Arizona? I cant think of who those TEs were off the top of my head, Ill have to look.

Howard has the skills to be a solid contributor on a pass happy offense

Deep Crimson

12-Team, PPR

QB - P. Rivers
RB - Dav. Johnson, N. Chubb
WR - D. Adams, C. Kupp, A. Robinson
FLEX - M. Williams
TE - T. Hockenson
DEF - N.E.
BN - D. Singletary, C. Hyde, J. Hill, M. Goodwin, J. Ross, Balt Def, J. Allen
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,751.14
If Miller had put up those numbers last year he would have been around TE5 or 6. Which is right about where the expectations for OJ in 2019 are. Especially since he is the 3rd best receiving option on that team.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 16,055.02
My concern with O.J. is that the Arians pass-happy offense is focused more on WRs as they are more suited to the deep downfield threat he has favored. And there's always the question of causality... do TEs underperform in his scheme historically because of a lack of talent or because of the scheme itself?

Veritas Odium Parit
Great White Shark
DropkickFluties wrote:My concern with O.J. is that the Arians pass-happy offense is focused more on WRs as they are more suited to the deep downfield threat he has favored. And there's always the question of causality... do TEs underperform in his scheme historically because of a lack of talent or because of the scheme itself?

Good question. But who else is going to catch passes there? It won't just be Evans and Godwin. Or...maybe it mostly will?

Deep Crimson

12-Team, PPR

QB - P. Rivers
FLEX - M. Williams
TE - T. Hockenson
DEF - N.E.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,751.14
DropkickFluties wrote:My concern with O.J. is that the Arians pass-happy offense is focused more on WRs as they are more suited to the deep downfield threat he has favored. And there's always the question of causality... do TEs underperform in his scheme historically because of a lack of talent or because of the scheme itself?

In each of his first two seasons, Howard has ranked in the top two at his position in average depth of target (aDOT), finishing tops in 2018. No tight end or wide receiver with at least 75 targets over the last two seasons has posted more yards per target (11.46) or scored more PPR points per target (2.59) than Howard.

Of course, Howard’s rate stats are unsustainable. Rob Gronkowski’s 9.90 career yards per target is the highest ever recorded for a tight end, and the average target to a tight end produced 1.79 PPR points in 2018. The medicine for a drop in efficiency, though, is volume, and Howard should have plenty of it in 2019.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/13/fantasy-football-profiles-oj-howard-tight-ends-tampa-bay-buccaneers
Megalodon
Sand$: 15,640.16

When has Arians had talent anywhere close to Howard? He has arguably the most potential for any TE in the league right now.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 9,865.13
TheBlitz1588 wrote:

Good question. But who else is going to catch passes there? It won't just be Evans and Godwin. Or...maybe it mostly will?

Like over in Minnesota, right? 8)

Winston isn't afraid of throwing to the TE though and OJ is way more of a specimen than Brate. It'll be interesting to see. As long as Evans still gets the bulks share. 8)

With mind distracted, never thinking death is coming...
To slave away on the pointless business of mundane life,
and then to come out empty is a tragic error...
Great White Shark
Not sure if this means anything...but Minnesots has had capable RBs (Cook, Lat Murray) that have done well on the ground the past couple of seasons and have been able to move the ball that way as well as through the air.

The RB situation in Tampa is bleak, and that's putting it nicely, unless you believe in Peyton Barber or Ronald Jones. Tampa is going to throw the ball a ton.

Deep Crimson

12-Team, PPR

QB - P. Rivers
FLEX - M. Williams
TE - T. Hockenson
DEF - N.E.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 16,055.02
Markulous wrote:When has Arians had talent anywhere close to Howard?

I remember similar arguments being made about Pete Carroll when Jimmy Graham moved to Seattle. But most coaches don't change their offense to prioritize a potentially (or already realized) elite tight end. As pointed out in another post, Jameis has had no problem throwing to his TE... in the offense he played in before. I think the Arians scheme is more heavily focused on the WR1 and WR2 (hence all the Godwin love). He doesn't abandon the TE position, but also doesn't go out of his way to make it a priority. 65/650/6 is entirely within the realm of possibility. Just not as slam dunk a proposition as I think some make it out to be or are hoping for depending on how much Winston buys into the scheme vs. playing favorites.

It's also predicated upon a full season. I hope his ankle can last 16 games.

Veritas Odium Parit
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 184.44

Not necessarily. He plays to his player’s strengths. Check out his stint with Steelers and Heath Miller’s career. He knows OJ is a far superior player. We just happen to have Godwin and Evans, so OJ success will be dependent on how long that o-line can hold up for Winston to work through his progressions if Evans or Godwin are covered.

16 team league: PPR: Qb/rb/wr1/wr2/wr3/te/flex1/flex2
QB: Eli Manning, Glennon
RB: Forte, CJ1ks, Andre Wills, Mckinnon, Hillman
WR: Marshall, Cruz, Wayne, Nelson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Ebron, Chase Ford
KICK: McManus
DEF: HOU, TB
Megalodon
Sand$: 15,640.16
The dude has Gronk level upside, Arians is too good of a coach to ignore that. This is also a team that has a garbage defense and will be throwing 400+ times so plenty of opportunities for anyone with elite talent
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 76,493.74
Buccs4life wrote:

Not necessarily. He plays to his player’s strengths. Check out his stint with Steelers and Heath Miller’s career. He knows OJ is a far superior player. We just happen to have Godwin and Evans, so OJ success will be dependent on how long that o-line can hold up for Winston to work through his progressions if Evans or Godwin are covered.

I’m not saying that oj won’t produce, but I wouldn’t use miller as an example , also if oj is going to get involved, it’s not going to be as a third option on progressions. That’s not really a great way to go into this thinking oj needs to wait til Winston goes through progressions.
Blue Shark
Sand$: 583.60
I drafted Henry in the mid 6th round. I know he’s is not as talented as the top 5 tight ends but I think he has a good chance to do what Ebron did last year. Not a lot of production between the 20’s, but crazy good in the red zone.

QB: Jackson
RB: Chubb, Carson, White, Penny, Freeman
WR: Hill, Allen, Anderson, MVS, Coutee
TE: Henry, Andrews
K: Butker
DEF: Bills, Redskins
Sand$: 40,887.97
I’m warming to Henry even though I’ve convinced myself to go Kelce early.
Megalodon
Sand$: 38,325.22
endzoneview wrote:I’m warming to Henry even though I’ve convinced myself to go Kelce early.

I like Kelce in the bottom half of the 2nd round.
Kittle looks like a good option a couple rounds later. After that, Henry's the guy i'm looking for in the middle rounds after I've got a few RBs and WRs I like. He's at the top of the list of the rest for me.

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders