Megalodon
Sand$: 63,536.20
I think the Chargers should come back and negotiate with Gordon, get him back on the team. They're clearly not a very good team, having barely beaten IND and then losing to DET. Ekeler is somewhat effective, but their offense is not getting it done.

Just my thought, but for a team that has a chance at a wild card, why not make your best RB happy and get him back in time to make the playoffs?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,077.58
Cyguy84 wrote:I think the Chargers should come back and negotiate with Gordon, get him back on the team. They're clearly not a very good team, having barely beaten IND and then losing to DET. Ekeler is somewhat effective, but their offense is not getting it done.

Just my thought, but for a team that has a chance at a wild card, why not make your best RB happy and get him back in time to make the playoffs?

Idk if Gordon was the issue.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 127,925.00
Ekeler has 3 TD's in two games. I don't think the RB position is the problem at this point. But clearly something is not right with that offense.

2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2016 In Your Face $ League Champion
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
Great White Shark
Sand$: 20,232.54
SnakeStabler wrote:Ekeler has 3 TD's in two games. I don't think the RB position is the problem at this point. But clearly something is not right with that offense.
Left tackle, Henry and James missing?

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,246.36
It's interesting because if you look at their rushing numbers with Ekler and Jackson they look really good. I kind of feel that they miss Gordon anyway, but I've only seen a few drives over their first two games so I may not have the right read on their run game.

They did only manage 10 points against the Lions... That should be troubling, but I don't know how much of a difference Gordon makes.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 127,925.00
Gordon already said he would be back sometime this year. The running game seems to be well without him to this point, so I don't think the Chargers are in any hurry to sign him to a new contract.

2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2016 In Your Face $ League Champion
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:It's interesting because if you look at their rushing numbers with Ekler and Jackson they look really good. I kind of feel that they miss Gordon anyway, but I've only seen a few drives over their first two games so I may not have the right read on their run game.

They did only manage 10 points against the Lions... That should be troubling, but I don't know how much of a difference Gordon makes.

I guess I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter how good they've done rushing, the offense isn't good and therefore would be better with Gordon. Even if it is simply that they won't be as predictable, he can line up in multiple formations and rush or catch the ball, something like that ...

I just am stuck on they scored 10 points against the Lions, who just tied with ARI. They barely beat IND. All is not well in the state of Denmark.
Sand$: 40,911.03
Cyguy84 wrote:
ubertaco wrote:It's interesting because if you look at their rushing numbers with Ekler and Jackson they look really good. I kind of feel that they miss Gordon anyway, but I've only seen a few drives over their first two games so I may not have the right read on their run game.

I have Gordon on my fantasy team .

FTFY
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,246.36
I have Gordon too...

And he is a more talented back than Ekler and/or Jackson.

But the 'problem' the Chargers have doesn't seem to be related to their ability to have an effective running game with those guys. Would Gordon help them? Sure. Is he worth the money to the Chargers to get him back now?

Apparently not.

I don't blame the Chargers at all for handling this situation the way they are. I don't blame Gordon either. It kind of sucks as a fan, and as a fantasy owner, but meh, the league and the players union need to figure out a better way to manage contracts and holdouts.

Not that I have any expectation they will. RBs are just not considered to be worth big contracts by most teams it seems.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,076.58
endzoneview wrote:
Cyguy84 wrote:

I have Gordon on my fantasy team .

FTFY

So wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Megalodon
Sand$: 47,730.07
I thought they moved the ball pretty well today, but they left a lot of points on the field in the second half. Ekeler fumble at the goal line, 39 yard missed field goal, 41 yard missed field goal, interception in the red zone.
Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:I have Gordon too...

But the 'problem' the Chargers have doesn't seem to be related to their ability to have an effective running game with those guys. Would Gordon help them? Sure. Is he worth the money to the Chargers to get him back now?

Apparently not.

I don't blame the Chargers at all for handling this situation the way they are. I don't blame Gordon either. It kind of sucks as a fan, and as a fantasy owner, but meh, the league and the players union need to figure out a better way to manage contracts and holdouts.

Not that I have any expectation they will. RBs are just not considered to be worth big contracts by most teams it seems.

My entire point is that the Chargers are incorrect in assigning too little value on Gordon. I think that he would spark their offense, not just their rushing game, and the team as a whole would improve.

But let's just tackle the value part first -- let's assume that the Chargers have little chance to win their division, but are contending for a WC spot. Making the playoffs makes the team as a whole a lot more money that missing the playoffs. I don't know specifics, but just in terms of their share of the TV contract I bet they would make a big chunk, plus the overall goodwill of their brand and jersey sales and all the rest.

If making the playoffs gives the team a lot of revenue/income plus goodwill with fans and ability to attract FA talent, it should be the main priority and you plan around that. The difference between Ezekiel Elliott money and what the Chargers are offering Gordon is like $2M a year. I get that RBs as a whole shouldn't be worth $15M or whatever because they are replaceable, but you spend an extra $2M/year and you increase your odds of making the playoffs this year? Money well spent.

Ekeler fumbled at the goal line, costing the team a chance to score and win. Even separate from that, I think having Gordon in the starting lineup increases the scoring and production of other players -- it isn't as simple as a "net yards for RB" comparison. Opposing defenses scheme to shut Gordon down, opening up passing lanes for the WR. They aren't scheming to shut Ekeler down, they probably take the approach that they want the Chargers to flow their offense through Ekeler because they think they can stop him when it matters.

That's the part of the analysis that bothers me -- people just add up the yards Ekeler gets and considers it a successful replacement. But if he is getting yards between the 20s but not on third down or in the red zone, he isn't successful and the Chargers aren't scoring as many points. If he is getting yards because the defense is only spying him with 1 player and using the other players to cover the WRs, he isn't as successful as Gordon forcing two defenders to spy him (freeing up single coverage somewhere).
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 32,700.46
If you look at the cost factor and add it in the overall picture, the LAC running game is fine.

Not hard to look at it in simple terms....they dont want to pay him that much dough
Sand$: 40,911.03
I don't think teams were game planning strictly to stop Gordon.

Gordon thinks teams were game planning to stop him. So does his agent.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,077.58
Cyguy84 wrote:
ubertaco wrote:I have Gordon too...

Apparently not.

My entire point is that the Chargers are incorrect in assigning too little value on Gordon. I think that he would spark their offense, not just their rushing game, and the team as a whole would improve.

But let's just tackle the value part first -- let's assume that the Chargers have little chance to win their division, but are contending for a WC spot. Making the playoffs makes the team as a whole a lot more money that missing the playoffs. I don't know specifics, but just in terms of their share of the TV contract I bet they would make a big chunk, plus the overall goodwill of their brand and jersey sales and all the rest.

If making the playoffs gives the team a lot of revenue/income plus goodwill with fans and ability to attract FA talent, it should be the main priority and you plan around that. The difference between Ezekiel Elliott money and what the Chargers are offering Gordon is like $2M a year. I get that RBs as a whole shouldn't be worth $15M or whatever because they are replaceable, but you spend an extra $2M/year and you increase your odds of making the playoffs this year? Money well spent.

Ekeler fumbled at the goal line, costing the team a chance to score and win. Even separate from that, I think having Gordon in the starting lineup increases the scoring and production of other players -- it isn't as simple as a "net yards for RB" comparison. Opposing defenses scheme to shut Gordon down, opening up passing lanes for the WR. They aren't scheming to shut Ekeler down, they probably take the approach that they want the Chargers to flow their offense through Ekeler because they think they can stop him when it matters.

That's the part of the analysis that bothers me -- people just add up the yards Ekeler gets and considers it a successful replacement. But if he is getting yards between the 20s but not on third down or in the red zone, he isn't successful and the Chargers aren't scoring as many points. If he is getting yards because the defense is only spying him with 1 player and using the other players to cover the WRs, he isn't as successful as Gordon forcing two defenders to spy him (freeing up single coverage somewhere).

Your over thinking it.