AJ Green ROS

Mako Shark
Sand$: 1,789.77
farhad7 wrote:
HDear wrote:
darkeagle03 wrote:What do you expect from AJ when he returns in a couple weeks? Do you think he puts up his traditional back end wr1/wr2 numbers, or slides to more of a 2/3 or worse?

With the way Ross and Boyd are playing right now it will be hard to keep them off the field. I can see all of them contributing but as far as AJ being the AJ of old.......I don’t see it happening. I see more of a 2/3 with upside. This is all based on all receivers being healthy and on the field though.

This is also a good fantasy vs. real football contrast. Yes, Ross and Boyd are putting up good numbers, but the Bengals are losing. Badly, in the case of Week 2 (and home blowouts especially sting). AJ may be getting older and coming back from injury, but there's no doubt that he's a talented WR and I can easily see a rationale for the coaching staff to make sure he's plenty involved if the Bengals are still struggling. The coaches want to win, not just have WRs put up good fantasy numbers (not that I think this is what you were saying above).

That's not to say that Ross and Boyd won't stay relevant (they should), but I can easily see this turning into a weird three way split once Green is back (and everyone's fantasy value taking a hit as a result). I don't see it as the worst idea to try to sell high on Ross as Green gets closer to returning (though who knows when that may be?)

Ultimately I agree that Green's ceiling is likely much lower than when he was being drafted as an elite/stud WR1, but if he gets out there and the Bengals start winning we could see him get a lot of time. Pretty hard to predict, though. And might not be worth your patience if there are high-upside WW fliers available or you don't have a secure record already. Could always try selling him to a strong 2-0 team.

In the two teams I have him, I am that strong 2-0 team :) And one of them has an IR slot too. I was just curious to see what other people thought, especially now that Boyd and Ross are playing fairly well. I don't think an AJ that is 90% of himself and only sees 4 or 5 targets is going to do much. If he gets back up to 8-10 targets consistently he may still do well enough.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 728.78
09/11/19 Geoff Hobson Bengals Beat Writer

Green was reportedly expected to return between six and eight weeks from the July injury, which would have caused him to miss at minimum the first three games of the 2019 NFL season. However, Green recently gave a conflicting report to his originally reported six-to-eight-week timetable for return this season when speaking to senior writer for Bengals.com, Geoff Hobson, last Wednesday.

"I don’t know where they got the six to eight weeks from. It’s going to be longer than that,”
- A.J. Green

Green also went on to note that he anticipates returning to the field whenever he feels "100 percent" ready to do so, indicating any concrete timetable for his return might be hard to accurately derive.

This is certainly a tough blow for any fantasy owners that drafted and stashed Green in their leagues this season, as any return beyond Week 8 would greatly diminish his value. Considering the Bengals' Week 9 bye this year, that means its possible don't see the return of Green until in Week 10, only a couple of weeks before many fantasy football regular seasons end.
SandShark
Sand$: 193.76
HDear wrote:The reality of it is the run game and their defense are the reason they are losing. Not WR play. I base my opinions on real football not fantasy. Yes, Ross nor Boyd have been perfect but losing has nothing to do with them.

Yeah, I didn't think that's what you were saying (I said as much in my post). But I do also think their fantasy success is not necessarily reflective of on-the-field success. The receiving game did help keep the Bengals competitive against Seattle but there wasn't nearly as much there against the Niners (keep in mind that without his garbage time 66yd TD on the last drive of the game, Ross would have had 3 receptions for 46 yards).

The receiving game isn't causing the Bengals to lose, but it isn't winning them games either. Assuming you want to win (which actually is up for debate by the time he gets back), once you have AJ Green come back from injury, you see if he can add something.
SandShark
Sand$: 193.76
darkeagle03 wrote:In the two teams I have him, I am that strong 2-0 team :) And one of them has an IR slot too. I was just curious to see what other people thought, especially now that Boyd and Ross are playing fairly well. I don't think an AJ that is 90% of himself and only sees 4 or 5 targets is going to do much. If he gets back up to 8-10 targets consistently he may still do well enough.

A lot easier to get up to 8-10 targets if they keep throwing 40 times per game. At that rate, AJ having a 20-25% target share isn't a crazy expectation.

It seems like an equally worthwhile question is: if the Bengals still need to throw 40 times a game by the time he comes back, are they going to be in a competitive position or will they want to limit AJ's wear and tear if they're out of the running?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,712.28
john ross takes over as the stretch the field guy with explosion (brandin cooks) aj green turns into mid level guy (robert woods) and tyler boyd the underneath guy (cooper kupp)
Great White Shark
Sand$: 45,712.28
Elmagister wrote:Jordy Nelson depended on his speed. A.J. is a much better, well-rounded receiver than him.

i disagree with this aj green depends on his athleticism a lot more then jordy nelson ever did,jordy was a technician whom used his size,route running and positioning when you took that away he would run by you,aj green minus the speed will be a wr3/2 type
Chum
Sand$: 26.24
Announcers in the Bengals game say he is targeting a return in week 6 or 7