Megalodon
Sand$: 52,122.50
farhad7 wrote:The gambling take is an interesting one. VAR (video assistant referee) is a pretty recent introduction to European soccer, which has a huge betting market, and I haven't heard anything about pushback from the gambling community/lobby/whatever you want to call it.

Or maybe I'm just not running in the right circles to hear about it.

I don't watch enough to really comment too accurately, but from the soccer I have watched, VAR has been relatively accurate. They have multiple camera angles, etc.

For example:
The NFL brings in how much money and doesn't have cameras fixed looking down from both sides of the goal line for those reviews?

Sometimes the officiating can't get out of it's own way.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,137.46
Jcb890 wrote:
farhad7 wrote:The gambling take is an interesting one. VAR (video assistant referee) is a pretty recent introduction to European soccer, which has a huge betting market, and I haven't heard anything about pushback from the gambling community/lobby/whatever you want to call it.

Or maybe I'm just not running in the right circles to hear about it.

I don't watch enough to really comment too accurately, but from the soccer I have watched, VAR has been relatively accurate. They have multiple camera angles, etc.

For example:
The NFL brings in how much money and doesn't have cameras fixed looking down from both sides of the goal line for those reviews?

Sometimes the officiating can't get out of it's own way.

At least in soccer, they can embed the cameras into the goal post and crossbar. You also don' thave 300lb linemen tackling someone into the goal. some competitions have smart balls where it can transmit exact positioning and they can tell if the ball went over the line completely or not.

With NFL, so many people standing on the sidelines, or avoiding blocking fan views, that is probably why they haven't done it. They should just put a camera on 2 cables directly over the goal line. That might help.
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 287.96
Ultimately it's all about helping the referees. In soccer, the ball crossing the line for a goal isn't the only thing that VAR is used for additional review. Probably the trickiest one is offside, and you still have penalty decisions both from fouls and handballs that aren't cut-and-dry and requite officiating discretion/judgment calls.

Right now the replay additions in the NFL feel kind of pasted on. Just doesn't seem like it's a real priority or concern. A horde of huge guys running around at high speeds definitely makes it more challenging, but it's not like there's not enough money in the sport to be able to make investments in technology to help with that.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 748.14
There have been a lot head shaking rulings on most of the PI Challenges. I haven't seen one that was overruled on Review yet.

On the other hand so, it seems like the Refs have been letting the CB's/S and WR's play the Game even with them "hand fighting" running down the Field.

Not sure if that is a coincidence or a by product of the reviewable PI but compared to the tacky calls over the last few years, this is kinda refreshing
Megalodon
Sand$: 20,624.70
Yet another PI that should have been reversed but didn't. Jags against Saints, dude tackles the receiver before the ball is even there. Seems like they just don't want to reverse these calls, so what's the point?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 681.72
Markulous wrote:Yet another PI that should have been reversed but didn't. Jags against Saints, dude tackles the receiver before the ball is even there. Seems like they just don't want to reverse these calls, so what's the point?

That’s why I can’t blame any coach for not bothering to challenge one. It’s basically saying they want to lose a timeout if they do.
Megalodon
Sand$: 20,624.70
FutBol wrote:
Markulous wrote:Yet another PI that should have been reversed but didn't. Jags against Saints, dude tackles the receiver before the ball is even there. Seems like they just don't want to reverse these calls, so what's the point?

That’s why I can’t blame any coach for not bothering to challenge one. It’s basically saying they want to lose a timeout if they do.

Agreed. I haven't seen one overturned, so I don't know what they are looking for?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 24,127.84
Another one in Kc today.
Terrible rule enforced terribly.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 20,271.08
hawkdogger wrote:Another one in Kc today.
Terrible rule enforced terribly.

Agreed 100%. The league screwed the pooch on this one.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.