Great White Shark
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Sep 7, 2017
Sand$: 7,598.56
rugger48 wrote:
ubertaco wrote:I'm still confused about what we are supposed to appreciate Rivers for.

He's a volume passer on a team that had a brief moment but never ultimately got to the promised land.

Compare him to Eli and Ben who were in the same draft class (along with JP Losman, Matt Schaub, and Luke McKown) and what are we supposed to really remember or appreciate him for?

Other than the memes, I mean, get that he's been a godsend for memes.




He’s 6th all time passing yards and tds, he only played in 4 games his first 2 seasons. Almost everybody in the top 10 are volume passers.


He’s going to get in, just a matter of when.

I’m only talking about what will happen. A discussion on what should happen is different.


Some people have volume *and* efficiency. And don't average 17 interceptions per game ;)

But my argument isn't that Rivers won't make the HoF (should or shouldn't I don't really care, the HoF is kind of meaningless to me), it's that he's not really done anything in his career that stands out to me.

Other than being very ease to meme with.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29059
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 79,400.62
I’ve addressed the column. His attempted for his career are not as high as others who are ranked around him, nor are the amount of famed. He didn’t really play his first 2 seasons in the league.

I’m also pointing out that all of the guys in the top 10 are column passers.
Great White Shark
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Sep 7, 2017
Sand$: 7,598.56
The point about them all being volume passers is irrelevant, my question still remains what is it about Rivers that makes him memorable?

He's going to the HoF (as far as I can tell) along with guys like Ben and Eli and Ryan(?). Is Stafford also going to the HoF?

I don't want to create a debate about who should or shouldn't go, because I don't really care, right now I just want to understand why some people are talking about how memorable Rivers has been, because to me, he's entertaining to watch when he's doing his shtick, but there isn't really anything about his actual play that stands out to me.

What is his signature moment in the NFL? I can think of several for Eli and Ben, and even Ryan, though I tend to look at playoff performance much more for those kinds of moments.

Rivers (and Stafford if anyone wants to lump him in) are just QBs who threw a ton of passes for a lot of years in an NFL where everyone was throwing a ton of passes. They never won anything, playoffs or individual accolades, they never stood out over the course of a season did they?

I'm not saying they should have, because of course, they also were saddled with some mediocre to outright terrible supporting casts from time to time. But none the less, they are just 'guys who played QB for a long time' to me, I don't get the fascination.

Other than the memes.
Megalodon
Posts: 19373
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009
Sand$: 20,915.14
Exactly. Eli has had memorable plays and was on a team that won two Super Bowls. Rivers hasn't even been to an AFCC game IIRC. Rivers shouldn't be in the HoF. He's stayed healthy and isn't a bad QB, but that's not a reason to be in the hall.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 49747
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,712.37
Rivers is a Ring of Honor guy

Nothing wrong with that

HOF should be for transcendent talents or guys that made their mark on the big stage. Rivers is a very good player and a Charger great.

If he won a Super Bowl he’d be a HOFamer
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59961
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009
Sand$: 26,218.04
endzoneview wrote:Rivers is a Ring of Honor guy

Nothing wrong with that

HOF should be for transcendent talents or guys that made their mark on the big stage. Rivers is a very good player and a Charger great.

If he won a Super Bowl he’d be a HOFamer

I can agree with that. I always forget the Rings of Honor, which is unfortunate.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4139
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009
Sand$: 7,063.88
Elmagister wrote:
endzoneview wrote:Rivers is a Ring of Honor guy

Nothing wrong with that

HOF should be for transcendent talents or guys that made their mark on the big stage. Rivers is a very good player and a Charger great.

If he won a Super Bowl he’d be a HOFamer

I can agree with that. I always forget the Rings of Honor, which is unfortunate.


I'm down with that and he really will be a Charger legend.. I've never really felt he was HOF worthy but that's largely to do with the supporting casts he's had.. I also think he's a better QB than Eli who will probably be in the HOF but it is what it is.. Rings push the needle
_______________________________________

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29059
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 79,400.62
ubertaco wrote:The point about them all being volume passers is irrelevant, my question still remains what is it about Rivers that makes him memorable?

He's going to the HoF (as far as I can tell) along with guys like Ben and Eli and Ryan(?). Is Stafford also going to the HoF?

I don't want to create a debate about who should or shouldn't go, because I don't really care, right now I just want to understand why some people are talking about how memorable Rivers has been, because to me, he's entertaining to watch when he's doing his shtick, but there isn't really anything about his actual play that stands out to me.

What is his signature moment in the NFL? I can think of several for Eli and Ben, and even Ryan, though I tend to look at playoff performance much more for those kinds of moments.

Rivers (and Stafford if anyone wants to lump him in) are just QBs who threw a ton of passes for a lot of years in an NFL where everyone was throwing a ton of passes. They never won anything, playoffs or individual accolades, they never stood out over the course of a season did they?

I'm not saying they should have, because of course, they also were saddled with some mediocre to outright terrible supporting casts from time to time. But none the less, they are just 'guys who played QB for a long time' to me, I don't get the fascination.

Other than the memes.



He’s 6th all time in passing yards passing yards, he’s 6th BBC all time in passing tds. He has a career 64.5 % comp.


All the guys ahead of him we’re first ballet or will be. The 5 guys currently below him are going to be hof or already in, including John elway who was probably first ballet.


Your going to tell me that he won’t get in, but all the guys above him and a good many below him are already in?


he played 14 seasons, less than most of the guys who are ranked around him. He didn’t even play as long as most of those guys.


He also 2nd to Favre in consecutive career starts. This includes him playing in the afc championship game with an acl tear that needed surgery.
Last edited by rugger48 on Wed 11.20.2019, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Great White Shark
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Sep 7, 2017
Sand$: 7,598.56
Please check very very closely for my stance on Rivers going to the HoF. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I don't think he will get in. I've also been very clear on not caring if he gets in or not because I don't understand the HoF criteria and I really don't care about HoF at all anyway.

My questions are about why some people were talking about what Rivers meant to the NFL, because to me, he's just an uninteresting and uninspiring blip.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29059
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 79,400.62
endzoneview wrote:Rivers is a Ring of Honor guy

Nothing wrong with that

HOF should be for transcendent talents or guys that made their mark on the big stage. Rivers is a very good player and a Charger great.

If he won a Super Bowl he’d be a HOFamer


I think that’s the problem. If we’re going to put players in for this reasons. They should put a limit on the number of people who get in, Do 2 votes. Do one 4 years after retirement to see if they qualify , and then the ones who qualify get a yes or no vote. If they don’t get in they don’t get another chance.
User avatar
HammerHead Shark
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018
Sand$: 459.10
You dont like the idea of somebody's little brother actually trying for once during a play, fighting through a sack, and chucking it up in the air, to somebody that catches it on their helmet ?

And then being an absolute bump on a log for the rest of his career ?

I mean that's HOF for sure
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59961
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009
Sand$: 26,218.04
Vision wrote:You dont like the idea of somebody's little brother actually trying for once during a play, fighting through a sack, and chucking it up in the air, to somebody that catches it on their helmet ?

And then being an absolute bump on a log for the rest of his career ?

I mean that's HOF for sure

He had a laser guided dime to Manningham on the sideline in the other super bowl too, but I agree. He's always been mediocre, outside of being legendary in those games.