User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 51205
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 43,737.95
OarChambo wrote:
getdownmmmkay wrote:Heard/ read somewhere that it's a deep OT class recently. Can't remember where though and I haven't done any further digging.

Deep, meaning there about a half dozen give or take of projectible starters whereas there have not been many in recent drafts. My cursory observations have not yielded anything of consequence beyond that tier though. And early reviews indicate those guys are all probably going round 1 - potentially relatively early round 1.


I'm curious where the line is from stud OT to stud WR as it pertains to the Jets picking 11th (just after the Browns by the way). At what point does going Jeudy or Lamb over the best available OT make sense?

edit - I guess this is more of a draft thread question than Browns question but I'm assuming the Browns are going to take the OL that I wish would fall to the Jets.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 9491
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010
Sand$: 20,444.32
I think there are at least 4 very solid OT's in this class, and the Jets will probably be able to get one of them. I have seen the 2 SEC kids and the Louisville monster play several times and would be happy with any of them for the Browns, at least as things stand now.
_______________________________________

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 57775
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 116,807.38
bluemist wrote:I think there are at least 4 very solid OT's in this class, and the Jets will probably be able to get one of them. I have seen the 2 SEC kids and the Louisville monster play several times and would be happy with any of them for the Browns, at least as things stand now.

Iowa guy (Wirfs) is legit too. Don't know about Houston (Jones) and USC (Jackson) guys, but some opinions I trust have spoken highly of them. They're on my look into list since I didn't watch any of their games this year. Same with Becton.
Great White Shark
Posts: 8755
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010
Sand$: 18,659.84
Hard part is OTs have the same ~50-60% success rate as any other 1st round pick.

Failing on that might mean ruining Baker Mayfield.


That said, the Browns should have the first OT off the board barring a trade-up, unless a team signs DJ Humphries (not to be ruled out with it being a LT market especially if Castanzo retires) away from the Cardinals or the Panthers don't take a QB.


Other than Conklin the rest of the FA crop are just stop-gap vets.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 57775
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 116,807.38
jnadke wrote:Hard part is OTs have the same ~50-60% success rate as any other 1st round pick.

I seem to recall reading correlation causation somewhere earlier today. :wink:
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 9491
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010
Sand$: 20,444.32
Of course it is WAY too early, but for the most part I see at least 2 OT's going before the Browns pick. Giants and Cards likely buyers, and I even think Panthers or Chargers may consider addressing that position.

Becton is a monster and incredibly agile. Him in a ZBS sounds juicy.

Edit : Dang, I thought I put this in the draft tread . :lol:
_______________________________________

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
User avatar
Whale Shark
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018
Sand$: 1,230.58
OarChambo wrote:
jnadke wrote:Hard part is OTs have the same ~50-60% success rate as any other 1st round pick.

I seem to recall reading correlation causation somewhere earlier today. :wink:


Take a FA and draft one

done
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 57775
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 116,807.38
I don't think I agree about FA. The decent ones get the brinks truck. And some of the bad ones get big contracts. There should be some FA shopping, but I'm skeptical about any of it being at OT. I'd rather try to develop Forbes or Lamm.
User avatar
Blue Shark
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Apr 6, 2019
Sand$: 808.94
endzoneview wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
getdownmmmkay wrote:Heard/ read somewhere that it's a deep OT class recently. Can't remember where though and I haven't done any further digging.

Deep, meaning there about a half dozen give or take of projectible starters whereas there have not been many in recent drafts. My cursory observations have not yielded anything of consequence beyond that tier though. And early reviews indicate those guys are all probably going round 1 - potentially relatively early round 1.


I'm curious where the line is from stud OT to stud WR as it pertains to the Jets picking 11th (just after the Browns by the way). At what point does going Jeudy or Lamb over the best available OT make sense?

edit - I guess this is more of a draft thread question than Browns question but I'm assuming the Browns are going to take the OL that I wish would fall to the Jets.


I see Browns standing pat now at #10.

Nabbing the Man Mountain..

Mekhi Becton OL Louisville
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 36180
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006
Sand$: 47,128.84
loins paid rick wagner a ton and he's not been a good ROI so far.
_______________________________________

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7188
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010
Sand$: 26,608.12
Baker Mayfield: A friging midget? A friging midget.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 51205
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 43,737.95
I have to admit, I didn't realize that was a slur

With that said, hawkdogger is suspended indefinitely
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7188
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010
Sand$: 26,608.12
endzoneview wrote:I have to admit, I didn't realize that was a slur

With that said, hawkdogger is suspended indefinitely


Fine. Me and Grossi gonna go crush some beers together.
User avatar
Blue Shark
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Apr 6, 2019
Sand$: 808.94
hawkdogger wrote:Baker Mayfield: A friging midget? A friging midget.



Hahaha