Megalodon
Sand$: 53,557.40
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... er-report/

Unsatisfied with the number of coaching and front offices vacancies that have been filled by minorities in recent years, the NFL is preparing to propose changes to the Rooney Rule. According to a report from NFL.com's Jim Trotter, the league will propose those changes during the virtual owners meeting that is scheduled to take place next week.

At the moment, the Rooney Rule (named after former Steelers owner Dan Rooney) requires NFL teams to interview at least one minority candidate for any head coach or senior football operations position. Its purpose is ostensibly to ensure that minorities receive consideration for coaching and front office positions, but in the current NFL -- which is more than 70 percent non-white -- there are only four non-white head coaches and two non-white general managers. Additionally, three of the most recent 20 head coaching vacancies have been filled by coaches of color, including one of five during the 2020 offseason.

To incentivize teams to interview and hire more minority coaches and front offices members, the league is set to propose the following changes, per Trotter's report:

* Double the number of candidate interviews required to fulfill the Rooney Rule. (i.e. teams must interview at least two minority candidates for any coaching or senior front office position.)
* Require the Rooney Rule to also apply to coordinator positions, in addition to the head coaching position.
From the end of the regular season through March 1, disallow teams from blocking assistant coaches from interviewing with other teams for "bona fide" coordinator positions (i.e. offensive/defensive/special teams coordinator). Any dispute regarding the bona fides of such a position would be settled by Commissioner Roger Goodell.
* Award a fifth-round compensatory pick to any team whose minority assistant leaves to become a coordinator for another team.
* Award a third-round compensatory pick to any team minority coach or front office member leaves to become a head coach or general manager for another team.
* Award a fourth-round compensatory pick to any team that hires a person of color as its quarterbacks coach, if it retains that coach beyond one season.
* Any team that hires a minority head coach would move up six spots from its allocated third-round pick during the draft prior to that coach's second season.
* Any team that hires a person of color as its senior football executive (i.e. general manager or president of football operations) would move up 10 spots in the third round during the draft prior to that executive's second season.
If the aforementioned coach and/or executive remains with the team for a third season, that team would move up five spots in the fourth round during the draft prior to that third season.

These changes are designed to allow more coaches and executives of color to flow into the pipelines from which recent NFL hires have come. NFL teams have tended to look at offensive coordinators and quarterbacks coaches for head coaching jobs, for example, and there are simply not very many minorities in those positions at the moment. (There are currently only two non-white offensive coordinators and two non-white quarterbacks coaches.) Incentivizing teams to interview and hire minorities at those positions would deepen the candidate pool for head coaching positions in the future, and the same is true of football operations.

These changes would mark a major departure from the way the Rooney Rule has operated since its adoption in 2003, but major changes are needed because the rule has not been working as intended in recent seasons.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,550.50
well that's stupid
Megalodon
Sand$: 41,084.38
Vision wrote:well that's stupid

Why?

NFL clearly has a problem getting people of color into coaching. Considering most coaches were players at least at the college level, you'd think that the coaching staff would close to mirror the demographic of players no? But it doesn't.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 34,221.86
und2006 wrote:
Vision wrote:well that's stupid

Why?

NFL clearly has a problem getting people of color into coaching. Considering most coaches were players at least at the college level, you'd think that the coaching staff would close to mirror the demographic of players no? But it doesn't.

They removed the ability to block assistant coaches from interviewing. I think that's a great step. Improving draft stock is a terrible idea, in my opinion. It's gross in a way I'm not fully able to articulate.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 41,508.26
I think the proposal trivializes the very real challenges minority coaches face in the NFL (unpaid internships to begin coaching careers that disproportionately benefit people of privilege, good ol boy networks, a lack of minority QB coaches and discrimination against minority QBs for decades, the owners themselves). The proposal also suggests that NFL teams averse to hiring minority coaches will suddenly find it within themselves to do so if they pick...80th in the draft? Ok.

I don't know what the solution is, but this proposal definitely aint it.

I'm a dude.
Sand$: 40,112.93
Well, they had to try something different because it obviously wasn't working.

I'm not a fan of the draft pick incentive as well.

Still, this is just a proposal, right? Has it passed?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,425.50
endzoneview wrote:Well, they had to try something different because it obviously wasn't working.

I'm not a fan of the draft pick incentive as well.

Still, this is just a proposal, right? Has it passed?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-instituting-changes-to-rooney-rule

In advance of Tuesday's virtual owners' meetings, the NFL will expand the Rooney Rule, which will now require additional interviews of minority candidates.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday that the league will require clubs to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coaching openings and at least one minority candidate for any coordinator job, per sources informed of the decision.

In addition, teams must interview one external minority candidate for senior football operations and general manager jobs. Teams and the NFL league office must also include minorities and/or female applicants for senior-level positions, including club president jobs.

The immediate rule changes, which will be effective after the meetings Pelissero added, come as the NFL continues to search for ways to fix the Rooney Rule after another hiring cycle where minority candidates were significantly bypassed, including just three of the past 20 head coaching openings going to minorities.

The Rooney Rule adjustments are in addition to two proposed hiring changes that are expected to be voted upon during Tuesday's virtual owners' meeting. Changes to the Rooney Rule do not require a vote from owners.

looks like the added minority candidates has already been written in. Not sure when the vote on removing a team's ability to block a coordinator interview is taking/took place.
Megalodon
Sand$: 53,557.40
I dont like the way that they are incentivizing minority hires, but absolutely hate that they are rewarding teams that let go of minority HC/GM candidates for promotions (3rd rounder) than the teams that are hiring them (move up 6-10 spots in round 3).
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,806.58
Why not just go full AA and have a required ratio of minority/poc in the pro coaching ranks?
Not by govt. decree, but as a league policy of course.
If the goal is to increase the opportunities, what the hell?
It doesn’t look like the Rooney rule is rippling through the ranks as intended.

It’s a bit radical, but if the goal is to increase minority/poc hires....I say go for it.

2019 Divine Comedy Champion
Master of Snowflakes Tour
Great White Shark
If the league has a AA style ratio requirement, that will actually increase the competition between teams going after the best minority/poc candidates.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 47,453.44
Elmagister wrote:They removed the ability to block assistant coaches from interviewing. I think that's a great step. Improving draft stock is a terrible idea, in my opinion. It's gross in a way I'm not fully able to articulate.

this is where i'm at as well, other than i can articulate at least part of what is gross to me re: the draft stock: it validates a premise that these coaching candidates would be otherwise unworthy of the hired position and the draft stock is the value "boost" that makes the hire worth making, rather than solely on the merits of the candidate.

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,550.50
in which they have no clue how to value the trade off besides throwing stock picks around, at tless than a 50% hit rate themselves
Last edited by Vision on Wed 05.27.2020, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Great White Shark
Most of us can agree that the Rooney rule has turned out to be window dressing.
Incentives are just more pandering. And they creat problems like what is being discussed here. “Value added” issues.
If the league is really serious about creating more equal opportunities, it would have league wide requirements that are in line with the population. Actual staff requirements bypass incentives, beach slap any racist old boy agenda, and put an end to this totally league manufactured issue.
Otherwise, it’s just more of the same pandering games,

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 41,508.26
All told, there's only so much the NFL can do to encourage owners to follow a certain path

Ultimately, they are the jabronies who hilariously choose to hire Joe Judge or Kevin Stefanski over someone like Eric Bieniemy. The league itself can't do much without "better" owners in place.

The ratio is just as appalling at the NCAA level; for many of the same reasons. The issues are systemic, and incentives don't put a dent in the landscape.

I'm a dude.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,425.50
hopefully not blocking coordinator interviews will lead to more minority coordinators which should lead to more minority head coach hires.