2020 Dynasty Rookie Draft Thread

Post Reply  
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 58058
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 118,838.04
getdownmmmkay wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:There's a good chance all of these rookie receivers struggle more than expected this year with COVID limiting the amount of work teams can do with them this season.

This. The amount of work these guys aren't getting right now can't be overstated. They don't even know their way around the building yet.

Yeah, I'm more of a long view drafter anyway, but especially this year. I think a rookie draft plan with 2020 in mind is a mistake.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 58058
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 118,838.04
I never thought 'deep threat' when I watched Aiyuk. May go back down the rabbit hole some rainy day and re-consider that. Unrefined YAC guy was what I wrote down pre-draft. Then Shanny took him, confirming my pre-conceived bias. That's Deebo's game too, but I think that mean streak is the difference maker. If one or the other is gonna emerge I think it's him, so I put Aiyuk on ignore. But if he's also got lid opening abilities that's a different story.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 27638
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006
Sand$: 35,535.20
Anyone have any thoughts on Tomlin's comments about its going to be a challenge rookies to contribute this year?

I get he's painting with a big brush but it makes some sense, especially for rookies who aren't necessarily fast learners.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/22/mike-tomlin-has-big-time-concerns-about-rookie-readiness/
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 34416
Joined: Mon Sep 6, 2004
Sand$: 41,621.96
jesteva wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Tomlin's comments about its going to be a challenge rookies to contribute this year?

I get he's painting with a big brush but it makes some sense, especially for rookies who aren't necessarily fast learners.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/22/mike-tomlin-has-big-time-concerns-about-rookie-readiness/


I'm comfortable applying this logic to any non-RB rookies.

And rookie RBs are all I want anyways.
_______________________________________

I'm a dude.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29370
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 80,193.60
Ebron, juju, diontae(who I might add caught 60 balls from QBs not named Big Ben as a rookie) , McDonald, 80+ to the rbs


Good luck chase
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20340
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012
Sand$: 23,310.34
my final draft Superflex 12 team 2T

1.08) Jalen Reagor- WR Eagles (Aker, Lamb)

2.01) Justin Jefferson- WR Vikings (mims, moss, Ruggs)

3.01) Jordan Love- QB Packers (nobody i wanted more than Love right here. Owning ROdgers was just icing.)

3.02) Brandon Aiyuk- WR 49ers ( this was a hard pick for me. the homer in me made me grab Aiyuk. Hope it doesnt bite me because i passed on 2 guys i liked. RBs Antonio Gibson WAS , Anthony Mcfarland Pitt.)

4.01)Lynn Bowden- RB Raiders ( needed to finally take a RB. i like this guys versatility. he's an offensive weapon. )

4.06) Quintez Cephus- WR Lion ( Was happy to get him here. others left : Tyler Johnson, Van Jefferson )

5.01) Jason Huntley- RB Lions

overall im not sure what to think yet. I passed on Akers in the first. I had Lamb as my WR#1 pre draft but something just attracted me to Reagor. that might bite me because he's boom or bust. I think Reagor is a T.Y Hilton clone and i think Wentz will Love him.

2nd round round i was fine with JJefferson. i think hes pretty safe in MIN with Diggs gone...BUT MIMS THOUGH! It was hard to pass on him. Ruggs was also available. :oops:

Getting Love was big for me in the 3rd (i was willing to trade up) was able to handcuff Rodgers in a SF league. I see Love starting in a few years for GB made him a perfect value pick for me.

Another guy i had my eyes on was Quintez Cephus in the 4th. Underrated because his 4o time/ horrible qb play...i think he will be a better pro. he should be getting big targets 2021. I also grabbed Lynn Bowden RB. Not sure what OAK has in store for him but i like his versatility...plus i needed to take a RB!
_______________________________________

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 32770
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 26,039.64
I like your later picks. I don’t see an issue with throwing a dart at Love in the 3rd either. I think taking him or Herbert in the 3rd or later is fine, even though I’m not over the moon about either guy.

I think you will regret passing on Ruggs by 2021, especially since you would have had the Aaron Rodgers/Ruggs connection in Vegas next year.

Think Aiyuk over Gibson and McFarland will be a painful one to look back on. But if Bowden or Cephus hit that will ease your pain, and I like both of those guys a lot. Bowden could have a very Ekeler like trajectory, so patience will be needed there. Cephus is one of the guys who I think could come out of nowhere like Anquan Boldin did back in the day and wreck shop.
_______________________________________

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 34416
Joined: Mon Sep 6, 2004
Sand$: 41,621.96
I think Ruggs is the most misunderstood prospect in this draft. He isn't John Ross or Heyward-Bey. The sample size is small, but the dude attacks the ball with stickum hands and Derek Carr's style is a net benefit for him - It'll be dumpoffs, screens, and Crossers City all day for him. Dudes who run 4.2s arent required to just run Go routes - Tyreek had 60 catches for under 10ypc his rookie year. He'll have plenty of time to refine his route-running.

And the target share opportunity speaks for itself. Giddyup.
_______________________________________

I'm a dude.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20340
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012
Sand$: 23,310.34
SJSwarm wrote:I like your later picks. I don’t see an issue with throwing a dart at Love in the 3rd either. I think taking him or Herbert in the 3rd or later is fine, even though I’m not over the moon about either guy.

I think you will regret passing on Ruggs by 2021, especially since you would have had the Aaron Rodgers/Ruggs connection in Vegas next year.

Think Aiyuk over Gibson and McFarland will be a painful one to look back on. But if Bowden or Cephus hit that will ease your pain, and I like both of those guys a lot. Bowden could have a very Ekeler like trajectory, so patience will be needed there. Cephus is one of the guys who I think could come out of nowhere like Anquan Boldin did back in the day and wreck shop.

my feelings exactly. Should have went Ruggs over Jefferson. I went safe when i should have went with the high floor like i did with Reagor. Your boy Herbert went 1.12. I wasn't touching him even in a Super Flex and him being a starting QB. ..at least not that early. I would have drafted him in the mid 2nd. Reminds me of last years Daniel Jones...nobody wanted him in my super flex. I drafted him 2.08...Now he probably has 1st round value if i wanted to trade him. I wasn't a fan of Love either but i had to go look at the 2018 tape...ill take a chance on that. You don't always have to be a good qb to be good in fantasy. He can be a semi-dual threat.

Passing on Gibson and Mcfarland was something i wouldn't have done if Aiyuk wasn't a Niner...just the homer in me! :Drink) But it was a dumb move now looking back at it...RB is my weakest link. Im gonna have to make a trade for a RB.
_______________________________________

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 32770
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 26,039.64
Love could be a stud or he could be Josh Freeman.

I think Herbert could be a stud but at worst will be Andy Daulton. More likely the latter I think.

Similar ceilings, much different floors.
_______________________________________

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 32770
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 26,039.64
FantasyHussy wrote:I think Ruggs is the most misunderstood prospect in this draft. He isn't John Ross or Heyward-Bey. The sample size is small, but the dude attacks the ball with stickum hands and Derek Carr's style is a net benefit for him - It'll be dumpoffs, screens, and Crossers City all day for him. Dudes who run 4.2s arent required to just run Go routes - Tyreek had 60 catches for under 10ypc his rookie year. He'll have plenty of time to refine his route-running.

And the target share opportunity speaks for itself. Giddyup.


Agreed, he’s being labeled a one trick pony. He’s Tyreek without the baggage and criminal record.
_______________________________________

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20340
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012
Sand$: 23,310.34
stop that SJ.. not tyreke. Maybe with the deep threat abilities and speed. Tyreke was a RB in college...thats what makes him so special. Not saying Ruggs aint gonna be special...he's hard for me to compare. You rarely see that speed combination with the tools to be a good WR.
_______________________________________

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Great White Shark
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sun Oct 7, 2012
Sand$: 14,421.06
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:stop that SJ.. not tyreke. Maybe with the deep threat abilities and speed. Tyreke was a RB in college...thats what makes him so special. Not saying Ruggs aint gonna be special...he's hard for me to compare. You rarely see that speed combination with the tools to be a good WR.


A few reasons I doubt Ruggs is ever an elite fantasy option:

1. Lack of Dynamism with the ball in his hands - He's a strong YAC guy, but that's usually the result of him simply outrunning defenders pursuit angles. That could happen in the NFL as well, but is less likely to occur.

2. Not very physical

3. Hasn't shown the ability to "play taller than his frame" - eg. sky for the ball in traffic

Some combination of those 3 are found in pretty much every single great 'small' WR. From Steve Smith to Tyreek Hill.

There are absolutely traits that make Ruggs special, such as elite speed, decent ball tracking, good hands and refinement as a route runner... I see him as more of a Brandin Cooks + type of player that will settle in as an elite deep threat/speed YAC guy. These guys are definitely valuable to both their NFL teams and fantasy but I can't recall any of them developing into an elite fantasy option.

You know which WR does have all of these traits, though? Jalen Reagor
_______________________________________

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 36636
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006
Sand$: 47,754.06
SJSwarm wrote:
FantasyHussy wrote:I think Ruggs is the most misunderstood prospect in this draft. He isn't John Ross or Heyward-Bey. The sample size is small, but the dude attacks the ball with stickum hands and Derek Carr's style is a net benefit for him - It'll be dumpoffs, screens, and Crossers City all day for him. Dudes who run 4.2s arent required to just run Go routes - Tyreek had 60 catches for under 10ypc his rookie year. He'll have plenty of time to refine his route-running.

And the target share opportunity speaks for itself. Giddyup.


Agreed, he’s being labeled a one trick pony. He’s Tyreek without the baggage and criminal record.

I think there are those that mistakenly label him as a one trick pony, just like hill was (even after his rookie year). I disagree that he's a direct comp to hill though. Hill's strength and body composition was on a different tier than ruggs.
_______________________________________

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 36636
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006
Sand$: 47,754.06
that's the thing that i just never saw with ruggs: that ability after the catch to create. He damn sure can run away from people and house a shallow cross. But I kept seeing fast guy vs "ball carrier."
_______________________________________

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian